Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    All Duke fans...because it really hurts the image and recruiting...
    I’m a fan of Duke University and Duke football. I have long-time personal connections to the school and to the athletic program, and I’m not the slightest bit embarrassed about the fan turnout at football games. If people want to come to Duke football games that’s fine; If they don’t that’s also fine.

Each Duke fan has the right to make their own choice about attending Duke football games without having to feel embarrassed, regardless of what they decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    I mean... I do.
    See post 283 as to how to solve the problem.
    Last edited by -jk; 08-31-2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Fixed link

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    I’m a fan of Duke University and Duke football. I have long-time personal connections to the school and to the athletic program, and I’m not the slightest bit embarrassed about the fan turnout at football games. If people want to come to Duke football games that’s fine; If they don’t that’s also fine.

Each Duke fan has the right to make their own choice about attending Duke football games without having to feel embarrassed, regardless of what they decide.
    I'm not sure you are really getting the point. No one is questioning any fan's rights to do this or do that. It is the biggest impediment to Duke football success...the empty seats on TV at almost every game at Wally Wade. I cringe at how many potential Duke recruits are watching those empty seats as they contemplate coming to Duke or going somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    I think one solution would be to cover up/close off a lot of seats in the end zone...and funnel people to the seats between the goal lines. Wake Forest has small crowds, but in 31,500 seat BBT Field they don't look bad for TV, and the fans are closer together, improving atmosphere for those who are there. I think the issue with a school with a small local alum base is to make small numbers work and look good (ala Cameron) rather than to fight the uphill battle of getting big numbers to the stadium. It's as if Duke knew they had to keep Cameron small due to demographics...but haven't closed the loop on that with Wade.

I'm not sure you are really getting the point. No one is questioning any fan's rights to do this or do that. It is the biggest impediment to Duke football success...the empty seats on TV at almost every game at Wally Wade. I cringe at how many potential Duke recruits are watching those empty seats as they contemplate coming to Duke or going somewhere else.
    The team not crapping the bed for almost every big home game would do wonders. There's been a litany of big home games that everyone gets hype for after a few victories, then a brand-name opponent (Miami, VT, etc) come to town, and we get steamrolled in front of a much larger home crowd. Can't tease the home fans like that and expect them to come out again.
    Duke 5 - UNC 4*

Quote Originally Posted by duke09hms View Post
    The team not crapping the bed for almost every big home game would do wonders. There's been a litany of big home games that everyone gets hype for after a few victories, then a brand-name opponent (Miami, VT, etc) come to town, and we get steamrolled in front of a much larger home crowd. Can't tease the home fans like that and expect them to come out again.
    This doesn't reflect the fact that the Duke football program is leaps and bounds better than it was between the mid-90s and 2012. The frustration is that the crowds are lagging far behind the quality of the football. Lots of programs with lesser records over the last ten years fill larger stadiums.

To say the fans are somehow getting hoodwinked after showing up for disappointing home games presupposes that they showed up.

Well of course winning is a big factor...but Duke's crowds under Cut are not much better than they were with a much poorer program. Rightsize the stadium! Duke needs a stadium where 20-25 thousand looks good and creates a decent atmosphere....there are stadiums like that out there...Wade is not one of them.

Yeah, I think thats a big reason. Certainly, it applies to the casual fan.Free tickets are a band aid. How many people will wander out at half next Sat and not return (like every time we've played Central?) People get their drink and food and leave--unless the game is compelling and better yet we're winning.

Smart scheduling also helps. Dont frontload in Sept ( great example is this year), and get some regional opponents in that will attract interest. I think White and Co generally preferlike minded school or fertile recruiting regions or a big payday

There may be some merit to the end zone idea--though I think the hill seating at Wake and UVa mitigate the problem.

I think one solution would be to cover up/close off a lot of seats in the end zone...and funnel people to the seats between the goal lines.
    The Section 19 Bleacher Bums strongly disapprove. We like sitting in the end zone.
    Bob Green

Well of course winning is a big factor...but Duke's crowds under Cut are not much better than they were with a much poorer program. Rightsize the stadium! Duke needs a stadium where 20-25 thousand looks good and creates a decent atmosphere...there are stadiums like that out there...Wade is not one of them.
    My guess is that White agrees with you in one sense. Prior to the current renovation, White wistfully said that he'd like to do a complete re-do (blast and re-build), but money and time were variables that the Athletic Department couldn't conquer. I believe that he's right about that. The amount of time spent to get inspectors approval for this current version, for instance, was ridiculously long. And I think it was apparent that we couldn't hit up the Powers, the Yohs, the Brooks, Pascals, etc enough to obtain funding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    The Section 19 Bleacher Bums strongly disapprove. We like sitting in the end zone.
    The devildeacs resemble that characterization and also enjoy our $11ish seats for each game. Plus, Mr. Green is quite the amazing source of Duke football info, both old and new.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Nailed it

It's not just getting steamrolled in these games. It has also felt like we didn't show up with a lot of fight. These games felt like potential tipping points and ended up instead being a step back.
    GTHC

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    ... enjoy our $11ish seats for each game.
    For a family of four, that's $50ish, which is way out of range for many in Durham and for many in eastern NC in general. Give 'em away and let's blow up the atmosphere.

I think one solution would be to cover up/close off a lot of seats in the end zone...and funnel people to the seats between the goal lines. Wake Forest has small crowds, but in 31,500 seat BBT Field they don't look bad for TV, and the fans are closer together, improving atmosphere for those who are there. I think the issue with a school with a small local alum base is to make small numbers work and look good (ala Cameron) rather than to fight the uphill battle of getting big numbers to the stadium. It's as if Duke knew they had to keep Cameron small due to demographics...but haven't closed the loop on that with Wade.
    Good points. I always have a little laugh to myself whenever I take a friend or acquaintance to a game at Cameron, especially someone who has never been to a Duke basketball game, and they inevitably exclaim how Duke could easily be selling out a stadium three times the size of Cameron. People just don’t understand how small the local and regional Duke fan base is, particularly as compared to that of UNC.

Duke already covers a bunch of seats calling it Heroe's Corner or whatever...just not much you can do cosmetically when the crowd is tiny on the East side...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Good points. I always have a little laugh to myself whenever I take a friend or acquaintance to a game at Cameron, especially someone who has never been to a Duke basketball game, and they inevitably exclaim how Duke could easily be selling out a stadium three times the size of Cameron. People just don’t understand how small the local and regional Duke fan base is, particularly as compared to that of UNC.
    Exactly, and that's why it was never in the cards to expand Cameron significantly...which was a brilliant decision.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Duke already covers a bunch of seats calling it Heroe's Corner or whatever...just not much you can do cosmetically when the crowd is tiny on the East side...
    The east side in the sun noon games is a problem ...the best solution would be somehow accommodate the TV cameras on the east side, so the view is on the west side. As for the seats that are covered, I would say it's not enough.

The east side in the sun noon games is a problem ...the best solution would be somehow accommodate the TV cameras on the east side, so the view is on the west side. As for the seats that are covered, I would say it's not enough.
    Duke really needs to figure out how to get the cameras on the east side. Even if the announcers stay where they are.

Relatedly and much less importantly, the first ACCN Extra broadcast from Koskinen of Duke-Furman MSOC had the exact same issue. From a few glances (like near sideline throw-ins), there seemed to be a decent crowd in the west stands, and not a single living being in the east stands (in the broadcast from start to finish).

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Duke really needs to figure out how to get the cameras on the east side. Even if the announcers stay where they are.

Relatedly and much less importantly, the first ACCN Extra broadcast from Koskinen of Duke-Furman MSOC had the exact same issue. From a few glances (like near sideline throw-ins), there seemed to be a decent crowd in the west stands, and not a single living being in the east stands (in the broadcast from start to finish).
    The cameras and the fans want the sun behind them.

Yup, this is THE essential point (more important than sun or beer or anything else, as i've pedanted before)...last year was the perfect example: We start 4-0, are ranked, have a very nice crowd for a night game vs Va Tech (yes, lots of Duke fans along with numerous Hokies) and we were just atrocious. Nothing there for the fans. Then a week or two hence we get demoted to the noon game vs. UVA (which does not help attendance one bit), a chance to redeem ourselves, and we crap the bed just as much.

I know many on this board have been thru this for many decades...when we win, people DO come, and when we win a lot, a lot of people come...there is absolutely no substitute for winning, especially with basically every game being on TV.