Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Have you ever been to a Durham Bulls game? Very family and kid friendly and lots of great beer selection. Beer is so expensive at sporting events it would be hard, not impossible to get drunk on stadium beer. And I'm sure the lines to purchase at WW would be a limiting factor.
    I think you got it. Duke analyzed the economics of beer sales and determined their concessionaire setup would only allow 10 plastic cups sold per hour. Not enough revenue to justify and they might run out of beer anyway before end of 1st quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    I think you got it. Duke analyzed the economics of beer sales and determined their concessionaire setup would only allow 10 plastic cups sold per hour. Not enough revenue to justify and they might run out of beer anyway before end of 1st quarter.
    The nail has been hit squarely on the head. I'm sure they are marvelous human beings, but the efficiency of our concession people (based on buying waters every game) is stupifyingly minimal...when you see a line of people ten deep, and the worker is meticulously wiping down each water bottle with a dry cloth, you know you're in for a long wait. I had a series of interesting emails with Boo Corrigan (now AD at NC State I believe) about this, saw some minimal improvement for a game or two, then back to square one...I'd much prefer to deal with a food truck or ANY entity which has a profit motive and knows the value of waiting on people quickly and efficiently (and giving them something of value).

Rum soaked Pies !

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Rum soaked Pies !
    Why only rum?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    One or two drunks can chase away a lot of paying customers. One bad experience and they don't come back. One can cost you three or four. Poor risk.
    I disagree with your analysis....as a season tix holder with the Carolina Hurricanes, I've rarely seen drunk behavior, and they sell hard liquor, wine and beer. And lots of it. Buffalo Sabre fans are an exception, but that's an entirely different topic.

Beer and liquor is sold in many sporting venues, with relatively few problems, and certainly not the driving away of fans.

This says more than half of all FBS venues sell alcohol: https://jmusports.com/news/2019/5/23...ll-season.aspx

My personal, if limited experience has been that the behavior of the crowd is much more dependent on the nature and culture of the fan base than on whether alcohol is served or not.

In some places, loud, ugly intoxication seems to be part of the culture...maybe some of these places have cleaned up their act in the last decade or so, but NY Jets and NE Patriots crowds were hideously ugly the last time I visited.
    Major tailgating intoxication followed by loud and obscene game watching.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    My personal, if limited experience has been that the behavior of the crowd is much more dependent on the nature and culture of the fan base than on whether alcohol is served or not.

In some places, loud, ugly intoxication seems to be part of the culture...maybe some of these places have cleaned up their act in the last decade or so, but NY Jets and NE Patriots crowds were hideously ugly the last time I visited.
    Major tailgating intoxication followed by loud and obscene game watching.
    NFL crowds are almost universally nasty....compared to college crowds.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    This says more than half of all FBS venues sell alcohol: https://jmusports.com/news/2019/5/23...ll-season.aspx
    One thought I’ve read is that there’s more control over behavior by selling inside the stadium rather than having some people over-indulge outside before the game.

Don’t know if that’s been proven, but it’s a reasonable concept to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    One thought I’ve read is that there’s more control over behavior by selling inside the stadium rather than having some people over-indulge outside before the game.

I would agree that there is a total lack of a control mechanism for the tailgates and tents in Blue Devil Alley, but the worst offenders are aging rapidly.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post

By my observation that makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I would agree that there is a total lack of a control mechanism for the tailgates and tents in Blue Devil Alley, but the worst offenders are aging rapidly.
    i hold up the fort When i can!

SO."...that’s where it happens???? 😎😎😎😎😎

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    We behave ourselves quite respectably/nicely, I do believe.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    i hold up the fort When i can!
    We can help...

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    SO."...that’s where it happens???? 😎😎😎😎😎
    Yep, "I want to be in the *tent* where it happens."

(apologies)

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    NFL crowds are almost universally nasty...compared to college crowds.
    I fear that you are right...unfortunately the comparison I make is to numerous NY (Football) Giants games I saw decades ago, when the Jets crowds were already hooligan fests, but the Giants crowds were markedly different, very much like a Duke crowd (behavior wise) except that the crowds were very large, many people had tickets handed down from their fathers...I saw none of the constant drunken, profane screaming I saw in Boston, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I fear that you are right...unfortunately the comparison I make is to numerous NY (Football) Giants games I saw decades ago, when the Jets crowds were already hooligan fests, but the Giants crowds were markedly different, very much like a Duke crowd (behavior wise) except that the crowds were very large, many people had tickets handed down from their fathers...I saw none of the constant drunken, profane screaming I saw in Boston, etc...
    I am biased, but Saints crowds remain much more good-natured than what I've seen in other places. The ref crew would not have gotten out of Philly or New England alive if this year's conference-championship fiasco had happened in one of those places.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I am biased, but Saints crowds remain much more good-natured than what I've seen in other places. The ref crew would not have gotten out of Philly or New England alive if this year's conference-championship fiasco had happened in one of those places.
    I haven't been to a ton of NFL stadiums, but I would agree with this. I was in New Orleans a few years ago at Christmas. First trip there and took in one of the holiday tournaments that was going on. I think it was Ohio State, Kentucky, UNC, and...UCLA maybe? Can't remember for sure, but it was unusually cold and rainy that day for New Orleans so it was a good alternative and tickets were cheap.

Anyway, towards the end of our stay, Atlanta was in town for a Sunday afternoon game with playoff implications against the Saints. I wish we had ponied up the dough and just gone to that game. It didn't matter where we went for breakfast, lunch, or just walking the streets, there were Saints or Falcons fans everywhere. But the Saints fans even though they were, um, pre-gaming, I never saw anyone out of control or picking fights with the Falcons fans. There was just a happy energy and excitement for the game. Really wish I would've gone. Maybe next time. I'm sure things get rowdy at all stadiums from time to time, but my experience there was pleasant.

On the other side of that, my brother-in-law is a life-long Eagles fan( he was born and raised in NC, but absolutely loved Randall Cunningham growing up and has been a die hard ever since). For Christmas one year, my sister gave us tickets for a Panthers @ Eagles game in Philly. Let's just say, the experience was different that that of New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I am biased, but Saints crowds remain much more good-natured than what I've seen in other places.
    Not when they come to Atlanta, the aren’t.