Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Naming Rights?

  1. #1

    Naming Rights?

    Alright DBR! In my quest to commemorate each of the 5 Duke National titles, I am coming up short on the name for the painting depicting the 2001 team that I just finished. The name for the 2015 painting is 'DYNA5TY' and the name for the 2010 painting is 'Order Has Been Restored'.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated!

    2001 Duke Championship painting (72dpi).jpg

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    THR3EPEAT?

    Third Time's the Charm?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Skinker-DeBaliviere, Saint Louis
    I think you can strengthen 2010's title even further by calling it Order Restored. You don't need the auxiliary verbs, just the noun and the participle.

    A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert


    Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    THR3EPEAT?

    Third Time's the Charm?
    TRIumph?

  5. #5
    I don't know about a name, but I *definitely* want some of whatever Dunleavy is smoking... ;-)

    Seriously though, you are a talented individual sir! Well done.

  6. #6
    '91: It Begins
    '92: Back to Back

  7. #7
    The name "L3GACY" comes to mind. This was the third title and cemented Coach K's place and greatness among his peers. The team also left a lasting image for Duke, one that endures to this day. It was a star-studded team that also was reliant on grit and determination. The team did not coast on talent. They are the bar by which subsequent teams have been measured. Maybe I feel that way since I was a freshman on campus, but it really does feel like the 2000-01 squad was the bridge between the 80's-90's teams and those that would follow where leaving earlier and earlier for the NBA became more then norm.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Proud Father of Three.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Brooklet, GA
    It's Over

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Asheville
    Who's your daddy?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Fun Stuff. I checked a couple of the newspapers from around the time of the title and saw, "Championship Dance", "True Blue", and - from The Chronicle - "Won and Dun".

    Nice work, by the way. Thanks for sharing with the board!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Fun Stuff. I checked a couple of the newspapers from around the time of the title and saw, "Championship Dance", "True Blue", and - from The Chronicle - "Won and Dun".

    Nice work, by the way. Thanks for sharing with the board!
    Here’s all five. Sorry for the terrible pic.
    E8BC8833-2D65-4B13-AAD4-1968D3710A08.jpg

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Honolulu
    Quote Originally Posted by ricks68 View Post
    Who's your daddy?
    He already has a "Who's Your Daddy, Battier" painting, so probably need to go with something else, not that I'm having any luck thinking of something else.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Here’s all five. Sorry for the terrible pic.
    E8BC8833-2D65-4B13-AAD4-1968D3710A08.jpg
    Oh, nice. Are those all original Chronicles? Or, just cover prints?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Oh, nice. Are those all original Chronicles? Or, just cover prints?
    2001,2010 and 2015 are originals. I printed the pdf version of 91 & 92.

    I told the chronicle staff that they could make a lot of money selling the covers of these five. They must not have agreed.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I think you can strengthen 2010's title even further by calling it Order Restored. You don't need the auxiliary verbs, just the noun and the participle.
    “Alarmingly Champs”

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Honolulu
    Quote Originally Posted by AZLA View Post
    “Alarmingly Champs”
    This is a wonderful post. I'm still laughing.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    '91: It Begins
    '92: Back to Back

    So 2001...

    New Decade
    It Wasn't a Fluke
    We're still Duke
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The name "L3GACY" comes to mind. This was the third title and cemented Coach K's place and greatness among his peers. The team also left a lasting image for Duke, one that endures to this day. It was a star-studded team that also was reliant on grit and determination. The team did not coast on talent. They are the bar by which subsequent teams have been measured. Maybe I feel that way since I was a freshman on campus, but it really does feel like the 2000-01 squad was the bridge between the 80's-90's teams and those that would follow where leaving earlier and earlier for the NBA became more then norm.
    ...and to add to your excellent post...this was a crucial title for K and Duke to really be on top of the mountain...again...and proof that the 91-92 was not an outlier. It was great to win one in another decade. It really moved K into a new realm, and he took Duke with him.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NW Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I think you can strengthen 2010's title even further by calling it Order Restored. You don't need the auxiliary verbs, just the noun and the participle.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    The name "L3GACY" comes to mind. This was the third title and cemented Coach K's place and greatness among his peers. The team also left a lasting image for Duke, one that endures to this day. It was a star-studded team that also was reliant on grit and determination. The team did not coast on talent. They are the bar by which subsequent teams have been measured. Maybe I feel that way since I was a freshman on campus, but it really does feel like the 2000-01 squad was the bridge between the 80's-90's teams and those that would follow where leaving earlier and earlier for the NBA became more then norm.
    I like DBA's "L3GACY" suggestion for 2001, and I agree with throatybeard about the shortening on 2010's, though it occurred to me that there could be a uniting element through the series if we found a way to incorporate a numeral in all 5... "DYNA5TY", "ORDER RES4ORED", "L3GACY", "BUILT 2 REPEAT", & "DEST1NY" ...???

    And when we win our 6th... "LE6ENDARY"!!!!!!
    Last edited by BuschDevil; 11-22-2019 at 11:28 AM. Reason: oops... left out something
    -BuschDevil

    "...Man, who even now finds scarce breathing room on this vast globe, cannot retire from the Old World to some yet undiscovered continent, and wait for the slow action of such causes to replace, by a new creation, the Eden he has wasted".
    -George Perkins Marsh (1864)

Similar Threads

  1. ACC Grant-of-Rights
    By BuschDevil in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-23-2013, 10:07 PM
  2. Be it resolved, with respect to naming conventions
    By throatybeard in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-12-2012, 01:05 PM
  3. Help Naming New Family Member
    By BlueDevilBaby in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 09:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •