Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast
    There are two ways to get people into Wade.

1. Play Notre Dame

2. Give away tickets, which is the strategy for the ̶S̶y̶r̶a̶c̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶ Miami game.

https://goduke.com/sb_output.aspx?form=33
    Last edited by -jk; 11-09-2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post

1. Play Notre Dame

2. Give away tickets, which is the strategy for the Syracuse game.

Link says Miami because of Thanksgiving? I’m planning on coming to the Syracuse game next weekend, if there are tickets being given away please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Link says Miami because of Thanksgiving? I’m planning on coming to the Syracuse game next weekend, if there are tickets being given away please let me know.
    Sorry. My mistake

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post

1. Play Notre Dame

2. Give away tickets, which is the strategy for the ̶S̶y̶r̶a̶c̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶ Miami game.

I don't think #2 works necessarily. I think playing NC State would though. Or App State.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I don't think #2 works necessarily. I think playing NC State would though. Or App State.
    Or ECU

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Or ECU
    All of the above, ( State, App, ECU ) and if Charlotte gets it going, that’s better than Middle Tennessee. We do play Charlotte in the next few years.

Rather than butt heads on the other threads about the football nose dive, I thought I'd resurrect this thread...As everyone knows, it was very cold in the stands on Saturday...so at halftime I got up, walked around, checked out the concessions stands which I've learned to avoid over the years because of their pitiful food and horrible service...thought OK, maybe things have improved, let's check it out!
    So we stood next to the "Duke concessions" stand on the West side, right under the tower...very long line looking for something hot. The folks working in the stand seemed to be, more than likely, Duke students, young folks anyway, so I hardly expected to see military precision back there.. But what I saw was literally world class bumbling...for a looong period of time, they had eight (8) people back there puttering around, looking at each other, and no one was being served ANYTHING (seriously), they did not have any hot coffee or hot chocolate ready...as such, for a stretch of about five minutes, six people back there watched two people make popcorn, even though popcorn demand seemed to be nonexistent.
    An absolutely pathetic performance...I had joked pregame that they would have plenty of ice water available (and they probably did), but I know what I saw, and it's just amazing that people in positions of authority at Duke can't do any better...it was an embarrassing, pitiful performance (even though, as I say, it seemed like a pleasant group of students behind the counter...they just didn't DO anything.) Did anyone else note this? It was the stand under the tower, at the north end, towards Cameron...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Rather than butt heads on the other threads about the football nose dive, I thought I'd resurrect this thread...As everyone knows, it was very cold in the stands on Saturday...so at halftime I got up, walked around, checked out the concessions stands which I've learned to avoid over the years because of their pitiful food and horrible service...thought OK, maybe things have improved, let's check it out!
    So we stood next to the "Duke concessions" stand on the West side, right under the tower...very long line looking for something hot. The folks working in the stand seemed to be, more than likely, Duke students, young folks anyway, so I hardly expected to see military precision back there.. But what I saw was literally world class bumbling...for a looong period of time, they had eight (8) people back there puttering around, looking at each other, and no one was being served ANYTHING (seriously), they did not have any hot coffee or hot chocolate ready...as such, for a stretch of about five minutes, six people back there watched two people make popcorn, even though popcorn demand seemed to be nonexistent.
    An absolutely pathetic performance...I had joked pregame that they would have plenty of ice water available (and they probably did), but I know what I saw, and it's just amazing that people in positions of authority at Duke can't do any better...it was an embarrassing, pitiful performance (even though, as I say, it seemed like a pleasant group of students behind the counter...they just didn't DO anything.) Did anyone else note this? It was the stand under the tower, at the north end, towards Cameron...
    they're volunteers who get a cut for their organization, not students.

The amount of revenue it's costing the department must be enormous.
    1200. DDMF.

The folks working in the stand seemed to be, more than likely, Duke students, young folks anyway, so I hardly expected to see military precision back there.. But what I saw was literally world class bumbling...for a looong period of time, they had eight (8) people back there puttering around, looking at each other, and no one was being served ANYTHING (seriously), they did not have any hot coffee or hot chocolate ready...as such, for a stretch of about five minutes, six people back there watched two people make popcorn, even though popcorn demand seemed to be nonexistent.

They are mostly high school students and some high school parents. Volunteers from various groups (marching band, scouts, and any other group that might need fundraising). Nobody gets paid, but some of the revenue is donated to whichever group supplied the volunteers. Also true in Cameron.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    They are mostly high school students and some high school parents. Volunteers from various groups (marching band, scouts, and any other group that might need fundraising). Nobody gets paid, but some of the revenue is donated to whichever group supplied the volunteers. Also true in Cameron.
    In all seriousness than, someone ought to teach them the most basic fundamentals of running a concessions stand...wait on people quickly, get the cash...if the point of the exercise is to help their organizations (which is highly commendable) then they have an obligation to do better, what I saw was beyond pathetic...

In all seriousness than, someone ought to teach them the most basic fundamentals of running a concessions stand...wait on people quickly, get the cash...if the point of the exercise is to help their organizations (which is highly commendable) then they have an obligation to do better, what I saw was beyond pathetic...
    that would require the department to actually care to invests in it.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    they're volunteers who get a cut for their organization, not students.

The amount of revenue it's costing the department must be enormous.
    Duke should do what the NC State Fair does...they have volunteer booths, but they also have for profit booths. It keeps the volunteer booths up to a higher standard. Right now, the volunteers have no incentive to be efficient. This is found money for their organization, and clearly the don't GIVEADAM about how pathetic their concession operation is.

One would think that there would be some supervisors helping out these volunteers. Any time I have done a volunteer activity there has been a supervisor from the organization or a very experienced volunteer at least checking in on us to make sure we weren't going to cause more harm than good. Duke should have someone wandering around to make sure things are working efficiently. And make sure there is at least one person working at each station who has done this before. It really isn't that challenging.

If the purpose of having local groups volunteer is to help them make money for their organizations, then perhaps one of the student service organizations on campus at Duke could take it upon themselves to help these groups help themselves. If APO still exists at Duke, maybe they can have a few football volunteers do this. It really should be the responsibility of the athletic department, but since it doesn't appear to be a priority for them, Duke volunteers should step up. If the concession booths were running efficiently, these groups would be making a lot more money.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    One would think that there would be some supervisors helping out these volunteers. Any time I have done a volunteer activity there has been a supervisor from the organization or a very experienced volunteer at least checking in on us to make sure we weren't going to cause more harm than good. Duke should have someone wandering around to make sure things are working efficiently. And make sure there is at least one person working at each station who has done this before. It really isn't that challenging.

If the purpose of having local groups volunteer is to help them make money for their organizations, then perhaps one of the student service organizations on campus at Duke could take it upon themselves to help these groups help themselves. If APO still exists at Duke, maybe they can have a few football volunteers do this. It really should be the responsibility of the athletic department, but since it doesn't appear to be a priority for them, Duke volunteers should step up. If the concession booths were running efficiently, these groups would be making a lot more money.
    I did see two older people behind the counter...they were both directing two other people trying to make popcorn..and four other young people just watched them. Meanwhile the line was loooooong and people wanted something hot.
    We did not need Kreskin the Magnificent to predict that on a frigid night, demand for coffee and hot choco at halftime would be enormous (nice profit on coffee, too)...but somehow they had nothing ready. Nothing. But popcorn was on the way.

I did see two older people behind the counter...they were both directing two other people trying to make popcorn..and four other young people just watched them. Meanwhile the line was loooooong and people wanted something hot.
    We did not need Kreskin the Magnificent to predict that on a frigid night, demand for coffee and hot choco at halftime would be enormous (nice profit on coffee, too)...but somehow they had nothing ready. Nothing. But popcorn was on the way.
    Human nature dictates the following: If it's not a business, then very few people will run it, work it, treat it like a business. Concessions for 40 thousand people is, or should be, a business, period.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Concessions for 40 thousand people is, or should be, a business, period.
    How about concessions for 15-18 thousand? They have 5 days to ponder that one.

(Sorry, I couldn’t help myself)
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    How about concessions for 15-18 thousand? They have 5 days to ponder that one.

(Sorry, I couldn’t help myself)
    HAH, that is also a business, but a smaller one of course.

Are they still making hot chocolate by handing you a packet of mix, a cup of hot water, and a stirring stick? Some may laugh, but I've seen it done in the recent past.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Are they still making hot chocolate by handing you a packet of mix, a cup of hot water, and a stirring stick? Some may laugh, but I've seen it done in the recent past.
    I can honestly say that by the time I walked away, I had seen them serve NO ONE anything hot...all attention was on popcorn (none of that ready, of course, but it was being popped)...so I have no idea about cocoa delivery systems, but the packet and stick methodology sounds right up their alley, though they'd probably run out of sticks.

Do you people have any idea what happens to popcorn when it isn't adequately monitored? One of the most dangerous and unstable substances on the planet. Requires rigorous oversite.