Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Any update on VT QB situation ?

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Duke opens (-3) favorite.
    Someone in the chat last week suggested that VT was an automatic loss. Not trying to give them a hard time, just pointing out that we're legitimately good right now.

It'd be super fun to win next week and be one of the last handful of undefeated teams in mid-October (we have a bye after VT)...

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Someone in the chat last week suggested that VT was an automatic loss. Not trying to give them a hard time, just pointing out that we're legitimately good right now.

It'd be super fun to win next week and be one of the last handful of undefeated teams in mid-October (we have a bye after VT)...
    I think maybe a few around here had VT, Miami and Clemson as auto losses in their projections. I think only Clemson is in that category...and I thought Miami was the second hardest game and VT maybe third - but I always thought Miami and VT were doable.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post

None expected till tomorrow, but I'd expect him to be out based upon how the injury looked. That said, the backup, Ryan Willis is a transfer junior who played two seasons behind a miserable Kansas team and looked very solid against ODU (their loss to the Monarchs was NOT due to offense, but defense). The numbers at KU weren't very good but again, that was with some lousy weapons. He also didn't serve as a dual threat guy for KU but will be far more likely to run for VT.

Hopefully Michael Carter will be healthy for the game next week so we have some more depth in the secondary to handle the VT passing Offense.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    None expected till tomorrow, but I'd expect him to be out based upon how the injury looked. That said, the backup, Ryan Willis is a transfer junior who played two seasons behind a miserable Kansas team and looked very solid against ODU (their loss to the Monarchs was NOT due to offense, but defense). The numbers at KU weren't very good but again, that was with some lousy weapons. He also didn't serve as a dual threat guy for KU but will be far more likely to run for VT.

Hopefully Michael Carter will be healthy for the game next week so we have some more depth in the secondary to handle the VT passing Offense.
    Recognizing the maxim about lies and statistics, you are correct. VT was #94 in pass defense v. FSU and Bill & Mary--ODU is TBA in that ranking. Duke is #34 in pass defense efficiency in those same rankings (NCCU is TBA), significantly better they have faced.

I'm getting a vibe like the 2nd half of the Northwestern game that features two #2 QBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    FWIW, Vegas is listing Josh Jackson as "Doubtful" in setting the line at -3.5 Duke. Obviously could change, and given that the ACC scrapped injury reports we will not know until we know I suspect.

Good thing we've played two P5 teams already with similar QB unknowns as to who will play and how long (NU, Baylor) so we should be used to preparing for both.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    That said, the backup, Ryan Willis is a transfer junior who played two seasons behind a miserable Kansas team and looked very solid against ODU (their loss to the Monarchs was NOT due to offense, but defense).
    Nobody played defense that game. It was non-existent on both sides. FSU's defense took the day off in their first game, too. Duke's D is going to be the first real challenge they have faced, which is another factor that tips the outcome in our favor, as long as our offense continues to play well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Nobody played defense that game. It was non-existent on both sides. FSU's defense took the day off in their first game, too. Duke's D is going to be the first real challenge they have faced, which is another factor that tips the outcome in our favor, as long as our offense continues to play well.
    I would like to watch a replay of the ODU game, it is hard to believe that VT's defense was as porous as the stats seem to suggest.

I expect a ton of Bud Foster blitzes against a still relatively untested QB. Quentin's pre-snap reads and post-snap adjustments are going to be tested. Losing their leading sacker and tackles-for-losses-er is big too.

Duke seems to have moved to (-6) in some books, FWIW.

I would like to watch a replay of the ODU game, it is hard to believe that VT's defense was as porous as the stats seem to suggest.

I expect a ton of Bud Foster blitzes against a still relatively untested QB. Quentin's pre-snap reads and post-snap adjustments are going to be tested. Losing their leading sacker and tackles-for-losses-er is big too.

I expect the VT defense will be turbocharged, and we will be prepared to take advantage of their over-eagerness and over-pursuit.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I expect the VT defense will be turbocharged, and we will be prepared to take advantage of their over-eagerness and over-pursuit.
    Sounds like you are expecting a lot of swing passes . . . .

j/k, kinda.

That first TD screen pass to Britain last week was a thing of beauty. And QH's TD fade to Rahming against the Baylor blitz had great touch. I think if the O line does well and QH does not hold the ball too long, Zac can come up with a game plan to exploit.

I sure don't mind that VT's best pass rusher was tossed off the team, I think that has more significance than the QB change.

FWIW, Vegas is listing Josh Jackson as "Doubtful" in setting the line at -3.5 Duke. Obviously could change, and given that the ACC scrapped injury reports we will not know until we know I suspect.
    Jackson has a broken leg. He's out.

Re: Duke's newly minted Top 25 ranking.

https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/st...28245899595777
    This is the first time Duke and Kentucky have been ranked in the same football AP poll since the Sept. 14, 1957 poll.

They have been ranked in the same basketball AP poll 547 teams in that span.

Looks like back up QB is transfer from Kansas-big boy at 6'4" 225, has had some PT-unknown quality. Losing their leading sack man and TFL man is helpful

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Jackson has a broken leg. He's out.
    Here's an article on it: https://pilotonline.com/sports/colle...40d5f09ca.html

We lost our QB and defensive stud (at NU) and then had to travel (to Baylor) and we rallied. Now VT facing what we faced.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Here's an article on it: https://pilotonline.com/sports/colle...40d5f09ca.html

We lost our QB and defensive stud (at NU) and then had to travel (to Baylor) and we rallied. Now VT facing what we faced.
    Even without them, we were still the better team. We didn't rally, we dominated. I can't say the same right now for VT (being the better team in their next game.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    ... We didn't rally, we dominated ...
    I meant "rally" in the dictionary sense -- come together again in order to continue fighting or recover in health, spirits, or poise -- not in the sports sense of overcoming a deficit during the game. We were underdogs on the road and had lost stars on both sides of the ball to surgery -- Cut and the program most definitely rallied that week in preparing for Baylor, and it resulted in dominating on Saturday. When things look bleak (as they do for VT), that can be a motivating force for a team.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I meant "rally" in the dictionary sense -- come together again in order to continue fighting or recover in health, spirits, or poise -- not in the sports sense of overcoming a deficit during the game. We were underdogs on the road and had lost stars on both sides of the ball to surgery -- Cut and the program most definitely rallied that week in preparing for Baylor, and it resulted in dominating on Saturday. When things look bleak (as they do for VT), that can be a motivating force for a team.
    Sure, pull out the dictionary. But really Reilly, we rallied.

There's only one rally that matters --

"Gumball"

From reading VT blogs and articles, it appears their secondary is REALLY REALLY young and untested this year. Good pedigrees as you might expect, but there's not a lot of depth and the lack of experience has allowed teams - not just ODU - to find open men at a decent rate. VT's success on D has come from the line this year, and losing one of their best weapons there will hurt - basically, if our OLine can provide protection, Harris should have open receivers to target....Lloyd should have a big opportunity for a few deep balls against VaTech.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est