Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

FB: Virginia Tech 31, #22 Duke 14

Let's Go Duke!
    Last edited by Bob Green; 09-30-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Wonder which VPI shows up?

Are you sure about the TV coverage? My guide still says Teams TBA for that time slot.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMeDoIt View Post
    Wonder which VPI shows up?
    Um … neither? Virginia Tech will show up, I am sure. I know not of what this "VPI" is.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    Um … neither? Virginia Tech will show up, I am sure. I know not of what this "VPI" is.
    Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, commonly known as Virginia Tech and by the initialisms VT and VPI, is an American public, land-grant, research university with a main campus in Blacksburg, Virginia, educational facilities in six regions statewide, and a study-abroad site in Lugano, Switzerland.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech

As another poster mentioned, VPI is what Virginia Tech used to be referred to....the names were interchangeable...and they even had a pretty good football team led by a QB named Strock who played for the Dolphins and by a kicker named Strock, no relation, who I think also played in the NFL. They were also referred to as the Gobblers, not the Hokies, at the time.

During those days, VPI was often mistaken for VMI, who has the worst football program in the nation the last 10 years or so. Makes the Ted Roof era at Duke look good.

Formally: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Informally: Virginia Tech

Formerly: Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute

I'm so glad it isn't VAMCPI.

A link: https://vt.edu/about/traditions.html

VT just dismissed a starting DE from the team.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    Addition by subtraction?

Any backstory?

I assume that they have some depth with their historically good recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    https://www.roanoke.com/hokies/virgi...dd96cdc67.html

No good information on why, but hints of problems earlier in the year.

I really want to win this game against the Hokies Sat night (Thad Lewis getting pummelled at least twice way after releasing the ball several years ago is still a vivid memory in my mind). However, more importantly a victory against VT would obviously be huge for so many reasons. It matters little that they just lost to ODU - they've had a strong program for years. Obviously, the Hokies will be fired up, angry, whatever you wish to call it come Saturday night. We better be prepared to match their intensity early in the game especially. We laid an egg in our televised game against Miami at home last year. We've got some momentum now but we need to take it up a few notches. I think we can do it but how hungry is this team? We'll soon find out. I hope this team plays Saturday night with a chip on their shoulder (yeah, it's a cliche), keeping in mind that respect is earned.

Let's earn some...go Duke!

The dismissed DE is Trevon Hill:

Hill, a junior from Virginia Beach, was one of the Hokies' most effective defenders and one of just four returning starters from last season. He'd compiled 11 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and three QB hurries through three games, and he had 20 tackles for loss in his career.
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...evon-hill-team
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by kcduke75 View Post
    Addition by subtraction?

Any backstory?

I assume that they have some depth with their historically good recruiting.
    He was their leader in sacks.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Formally: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University

Informally: Virginia Tech

Formerly: Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute

I'm so glad it isn't VAMCPI.

A link: https://vt.edu/about/traditions.html
    That would be almost as bad as UIPUI

Spell check: IUPUI
    Pronunciation: ooey-pooey

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    People calling the Hokies "VPI" is one of my most annoying aggravations. And I don't even like them.

Happy to see Duke got some respect in both our #22 ranking and in the game being on ESPN2 instead of the U.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    People calling the Hokies "VPI" is one of my most annoying aggravations. And I don't even like them.

Happy to see Duke got some respect in both our #22 ranking and in the game being on ESPN2 instead of the U.
    CB&B shared this with me:

http://www.espn.com/college-football...evon-hill-team

Never mind. I see a few folks upthread beat me to it. Damn, I'm slow and/or need to spend more time reading DBR.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    I really want to win this game against the Hokies Sat night (Thad Lewis getting pummelled at least twice way after releasing the ball several years ago is still a vivid memory in my mind). However, more importantly a victory against VT would obviously be huge for so many reasons. It matters little that they just lost to ODU - they've had a strong program for years. Obviously, the Hokies will be fired up, angry, whatever you wish to call it come Saturday night. We better be prepared to match their intensity early in the game especially. We laid an egg in our televised game against Miami at home last year. We've got some momentum now but we need to take it up a few notches. I think we can do it but how hungry is this team? We'll soon find out. I hope this team plays Saturday night with a chip on their shoulder (yeah, it's a cliche), keeping in mind that respect is earned.

Let's earn some...go Duke!
    One of the post-game player interviews, maybe Quentin, noted that we started 4-0 last year and look what happened. “We all remember that.” So yeah, I expect them to come out focused.

You are exactly right about starting strong and matching intensity. First conference game, our house. Get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I'm with you on the aggravation point. I guess you and I are not cool enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Yes. I posted the Roanoke version above. When this sort of thing happens and I see it on ESPN.com, I like to go look to see what the local newspaper has on it because they almost always have more detailed information and less editorialization.

Duke opens (-3) favorite.