Travel Advice_Toulouse, France and Surrounding Area_October

Have to head back to the olde country for work again next month. I will be in Halmstad, Sweden the first week. I was just there for two weeks in June so I feel like I'm an honorary citizen now and know my way around pretty good thanks to DBR and the friendly locals. This trip however, I will have to spend the next three weeks in Toulouse, France. I will have several long weekends to explore, eat, relax, etc. so I'm looking for those can't miss places to check out while I'm there.

I love historic war sites and would love to make the trip to tour the beaches at Normandy, but I'm not sure if I should spend an entire weekend to make it to one site when I'm sure there are amazing things to see near where I'll be staying. Normandy is about a 7 hour trek according to the google.

I've heard that the local French aren't really considered helpful and friendly to American tourists, just wondering what you guys have experienced with that. Sweden and Denmark citizens were unbelievably welcoming, warm, and bend-over-backwards helpful when I was there.

Trying to learn some key french words, I heard it helps if you at least attempt to learn their language.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Have to head back to the olde country for work again next month. I will be in Halmstad, Sweden the first week. I was just there for two weeks in June so I feel like I'm an honorary citizen now and know my way around pretty good thanks to DBR and the friendly locals. This trip however, I will have to spend the next three weeks in Toulouse, France. I will have several long weekends to explore, eat, relax, etc. so I'm looking for those can't miss places to check out while I'm there.

I love historic war sites and would love to make the trip to tour the beaches at Normandy, but I'm not sure if I should spend an entire weekend to make it to one site when I'm sure there are amazing things to see near where I'll be staying. Normandy is about a 7 hour trek according to the google.

I've heard that the local French aren't really considered helpful and friendly to American tourists, just wondering what you guys have experienced with that. Sweden and Denmark citizens were unbelievably welcoming, warm, and bend-over-backwards helpful when I was there.

Trying to learn some key french words, I heard it helps if you at least attempt to learn their language.
    I spent some time in France in my late teens (I'm now in my 40s) and recall having a great time in Carcassonne, which is not too far from Toulouse. It is a fascinating old walled city. It is a bit off the beaten path so I don't think it is on most tourist itineraries but from Toulouse it is definitely worth the trip.

And I totally agree with you about trying to speak French. I studied it in school so was decent at it, but I found that if you made an effort, it was greatly appreciated. I also found that they are generally nicer to Canadians (who usually travel in Europe with everything covered in Canadian flags to show they are not American) - this is not a reflection of the current political climate - it has been going on for decades.

I spent fall of junior year in Dijon and travelled a lot, but nowhere near Toulouse, sorry. However, I loved Normandy, and I think it might be worth a weekend.

As for the French, if they are business owners, they generally love Americans b/c we spend lots of money with them. Regular citizens, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I spent fall of junior year in Dijon and travelled a lot, but nowhere near Toulouse, sorry. However, I loved Normandy, and I think it might be worth a weekend.

As for the French, if they are business owners, they generally love Americans b/c we spend lots of money with them. Regular citizens, not so much.
    I think you might be right about Normandy being worth one of the weekends. I got choked up today just looking at pictures of other's visits to the beaches and the monuments.

I'll be in Normandy in the spring (second trip there). Every American, if they can, should see the American Cemetery in Corville-sur-Mer. The go down to the beach, look up, and wonder how in the world they actually pulled the invasion off. Television and movies don't give you the scope of just how big it is.

Absolutely agree that learning some French and trying to speak their language is a huge deal. All countries are proud of their language and culture, but perhaps none more than the French.

I have also found that the further away you get from big cities, the fewer folks that may speak English. You can go an hour out of Paris or Rome, for example, and be in fairly large areas where few folks over 35 speak English. (The internet is making English handy for the younger because of content and because it has become the international language of commerce).

I am a huge fan of Pinsleur's audio programs for French and Italian, for those interested in traveling.

Have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post

I have had no trouble with the French in almost 20 trips there. The people in the countryside are, of course, even more friendly than the Parisiens.

If you will be in Toulouse, which is in the southwest and far from the English channel, I would take advantage of that location. Don't miss the Pyrenees, which are close by (and, of course, Lourdes, if you need some special blessings -- who doesn't?). Biarritz, on the Atlantic, is three hours away and just across the Spanish border is the reportedly wonderful San Sebastian where M. et Mme. Sage Grouse are going next month. The Riviera, Bordeaux, Lyon are all worthy destinations -- and not too far. Carcassonne, an ancient fortress town, is close by.

Normandy is quite wonderful -- and emotionally powerful along the coast -- but is not typical of the rest of France. Brittany is more colorful, and the ancient Bretons are more closely related to the Welsh than to the Gauls.

Anyway, your trip sounds wonderful. In Toulouse, which is a world center of aircraft and space technology, you should have little trouble using English. In the villages, there always seem to be English speakers in the cafes and restaurants.

I am getting jealous of your journey.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I agree with the previous posts, but will add my $0.02.

Spent one night in Toulouse and it struck me as a very cool college-centric town. But it was a long time ago and I was in college (T'92), so there you go . . . .

Have been to Normandy a couple of times, and it is well worth a visit, particularly if historic war sites are your thing, and even if they're not. But, it is quite a hike from Toulouse, so maybe this isn't the trip for a visit. Much more manageable for a weekend trip from Paris, for example.

I've never made it to Carcassonne (only seen it in the distance from the train), but it's only about an hour drive from Toulouse and, from what I've heard, well worth a visit.

Generally, I agree with Sage Grouse's thoughts about some alternate destinations. The towns of Provence (e.g., Montpellier, Arles, Nimes, Avignon, Aix) are roughly 2.5-4 hours away to the east and are excellent places to visit for a long weekend. In the other direction, in addition to Biarritz and San Sebastian (and Pamplona, which is about another hour past St. Sebastian), Bordeaux is about a 2.5 hour drive from Toulouse if you're into the wine thing.

With respect to the language barrier, I still speak enough French for very basic communications, but on our most recent trip to France about 4 years ago, I found that very few folks in the small towns of Normandy spoke English (even if I tried to speak French to them first), despite the area's focus on tourism. With that said, I've generally found everyone in France to be fairly friendly, both in the countryside and in Paris (with the typical exceptions of the occasional Parisian waiter or government employee). Making an effort to speak the native language usually goes a long way. And if all else fails, Google Translate is your friend! Download it on your phone if you haven't already and use it liberally. It got me successfully through a trip to Japan last year!

Adding to Sagegrouse and elumpkin

People outside Paris are far more friendly, especially if you attempt French. They are used to tourists, but to your advantage (in the area you are going), not overrun. They can be, in fact, glad you came to their part of the world. I have had this happen many times.

As far as weekends, if I were going in that area I would...

not miss: Provence. As described, great mix of wine and history. Lots of Roman influence from when Provence was a province.

high on list: Bordeaux and region. Wine and grapes everywhere. In between, (going north) something on the Dordogne (midieval towns), (going south) Pau (mountain town) and Bayonne (could even head to Bilbao).

Cool: Carcassone, can even head to Barcelona.

Ya Gotta Want It: Normandy. Great to see, but its a trip.