Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Just turned on - did the entire VT defense leave the game? They are very bad.
    ...hey I keep hearing that Bud Foster is a DEE guru!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    I think the Old Dominion RB is wearing some sort of force field thing. VT guys have been incapable of tackling him all half.
    Liberty crushed ODU. ODU has 600+ yards and 2TDs over VT. I don’t get it��

My top 3 for today:
    1. Duke wins
    2. Saw Nephew Alex on TV/Clemson wins
    3. ODU beats the Hokies. Instead if losing by 4 TDs, they win by 2

BAAAAAD day for the ACC

VT goes down to ODU...
    BC lays an egg at Purdue...beaten by NW

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    BAAAAAD day for the ACC

VT goes down to ODU...
    Great day for Duke though! Could care less about the other schools, in fact root against every other ACC school every week!

Quote Originally Posted by jbay201 View Post
    Great day for Duke though! Could care less about the other schools, in fact root against every other ACC school every week!
    It is not good for Duke for the ACC to fall off as a respected conference. It may feel good to see the Hokies lose (it does) - but really, it's not going to help Duke or any ACC team if the conference stumbles. If State loses to Marshall, that would be the cherry on the parfait...

BAAAAAD day for the ACC

VT goes down to ODU...
    Wow, that's hard to put into any sort of perspective. ODU, the 0-3 ODU, the 29 point underdog ODU, the team that lost to freakin' Liberty by a whiplash inducing tally of 52-10. ODU puts up 632 total yards on Virginia Tech...gug, gug, gug...there are just no words...dang.

I'd rather lose to VCU in hoops than to ODU in football (says the fan of the team that's lost to Richmond 3x straight).

BAAAAAD day for the ACC

VT goes down to ODU...
    Horrendous day for the ACC!!! 2016 is a DISTANT memory.

My SEC friends are laughing right now...the nerve of us ACC fans thinking we exist anywhere close to their universe!!!

It is not good for Duke for the ACC to fall off as a respected conference. It may feel good to see the Hokies lose (it does) - but really, it's not going to help Duke or any ACC team if the conference stumbles. If State loses to Marshall, that would be the cherry on the parfait...
    When Duke is regularly competing for playoffs spots, sure, maybe. Until then, I'd rather just win as many games as possible, make a bowl every year, and get ranked as highly as possible. The BC loss was especially good for Duke because it could clear the way for us to be ranked this week, pending a few other results.

When Duke is regularly competing for playoffs spots, sure, maybe. Until then, I'd rather just win as many games as possible, make a bowl every year, and get ranked as highly as possible. The BC loss was especially good for Duke because it could clear the way for us to be ranked this week, pending a few other results.
    ACC losses by others does not really help Duke's bowl chances.
    Getting ranked as high as possible is more often hurt than helped by other ACC teams losing due to strength of schedule, reputation of the conference. The chance for a "big win" against VT is gone. Just a chance for a win now.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    ACC losses by others does not really help Duke's bowl chances.
    Getting ranked as high as possible is more often hurt than helped by other ACC teams losing due to strength of schedule, reputation of the conference. The chance for a "big win" against VT is gone. Just a chance for a win now.
    The ACC has guaranteed bowl slots. The worse other teams do, the better Duke’s bowl game. The only ranking that matters outside of the top 4 team in the country (playoff) is within the conference. If we assume the conference champion is in the playoffs, the next ACC team is in a New Year’s bowl (likely Peach, since Orange is one of the playoff sites this year IIRC), and then there’s a list below that. Notre Dame is in the mix if they do not make a New Year’s bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The ACC has guaranteed bowl slots. The worse other teams do, the better Duke’s bowl game. The only ranking that matters outside of the top 4 team in the country (playoff) is within the conference. If we assume the conference champion is in the playoffs, the next ACC team is in a New Year’s bowl (likely Peach, since Orange is one of the playoff sites this year IIRC), and then there’s a list below that. Notre Dame is in the mix if they do not make a New Year’s bowl.
    thank you for making my point...no idea how ppl here can support these other ACC schools

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    thank you for making my point...no idea how ppl here can support these other ACC schools
    I have no problem "rooting" for some ACC schools such as State, Clemson, BC (don't have anything against them). Will not actively root against most of the others (some I don't mind losing, though.)

Will root for invading aliens over the cheaters from down the road.

Being ranked, especially final ranking, is also very important to recruiting. As is premier Bowls. If others losing moves us up both rankings and ACC tie-ins to bowl bids, I say go ahead and lose to ODU!

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    ... Will root for invading aliens over the cheaters from down the road.
    Because you respect the invading aliens for attending at least one class to figure out how to land a spaceship as opposed to ... ummm ... well ...

IT's got zip zero nada to do with supporting the other ACC schools...it's about what's best for Duke. For crying out loud, there is no bigger ACC cheerleader nationally than Coach K...is he an idiot????? No, but he knows that in the long run, it's best for everybody in the ACC for the ACC to succeed...sure, we may get BC's 24th spot this week...so what...think big picture. Think Coach K. BB and FB both are sports where the conference is a factor in recruiting.

Is it possible VT drops completely out of the rankings this week? They basically have no resume (FSU is not looking like a good right now).

Some pretty poor results for Duke today. The VT loss keeps us from a potentially good win. Had Army pulled off the upset against Oklahoma all of a sudden our win against them looks much better.

Better than VT... tied in the 4th quarter with 0-3 1AA team Old Dominion, and (potentially relevant for us next week) just lost their starting QB to injury.
    Actually, ODU is a 1A/FBS team now, but just the last couple years. In Sagarin's ratings prior to today, they were ranked ahead of only two FBS teams, UTEP and Texas State. They were also ranked behind 51 1AA/FCS teams.

The VT loss to ODU is probably the biggest upset loss they have had in their entire history. This is on the level of App St beating Michigan.