Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Schadenfreude

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Interesting, and there's no doubt that Duke, for no good reason, is the most hated college basketball team, and it's not even close with whoever is second. All of it started based on wrong perceptions about Ferry and Laettner and Coach K and JJ and a handful of others, and now it's just got a life of its own. (well, maybe they were valid about Ferry). The same people who hated Laettner thinking he was a rich preppie tend to love Grant Hill, who really WAS a preppie.

That said, I don't think this is exactly how schadenfreude is normally used in english, which may or may not be accurate with the German. I've always thought there was a modicum of irony in schadenfreude, in addition to the happiness gained by the failings of a rival...you know, where the "bad guys" brought the trouble on themselves...or their hypocrisy was exposed, etc. Now this may simply be my impression, and maybe I'm over reading the meaning.

Either way, Duke and Laettner still live rent free inside the heads of UK fans, and that's hilarious. I think they simply loathe us, period, schadenfreude or not.
    I think you've described a nice blend of schadenfreude and karma...indeed, they can go together as well as gin and tonic...

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    BOGgers were plenty creative. Ain't no need for cheer sheets.
    Actually, I can't really remember much from those years, but the prolonged blur speaks to our "creativity."

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think you've described a nice blend of schadenfreude and karma...indeed, they can go together as well as gin and tonic...
    ...single malt, and well, nothing...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...single malt, and well, nothing...
    A few drops of water, nothing else.

This is cute: a new guy was hired to do security and man the parking gate at work. He saw the plates on my car "BLU DEVL" and started razzing me almost every day. "Ugh, change those plates!" "Hey when are you getting new plates?" "Go heels!" "Go to hell Duke!" Wit is not exactly his strong play. I would laugh and wave in royal fashion.

Today I stopped and asked him if he'd like two tickets to one of the pre-season games in Cameron and his jaw hit the ground. He was stunned and delighted. All smiles, practically teary-eyed! I said one condition, "Absolutely NO light blue clothing in those seats, and believe me, I have people watching what you will be wearing."

He paused to consider and then yelled, "GO DUKE!"

Part of my world mission to convert the heathens. Benevolent me.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    This is cute: a new guy was hired to do security and man the parking gate at work. He saw the plates on my car "BLU DEVL" and started razzing me almost every day. "Ugh, change those plates!" "Hey when are you getting new plates?" "Go heels!" "Go to hell Duke!" Wit is not exactly his strong play. I would laugh and wave in royal fashion.

Today I stopped and asked him if he'd like two tickets to one of the pre-season games in Cameron and his jaw hit the ground. He was stunned and delighted. All smiles, practically teary-eyed! I said one condition, "Absolutely NO light blue clothing in those seats, and believe me, I have people watching what you will be wearing."

He paused to consider and then yelled, "GO DUKE!"

Part of my world mission to convert the heathens. Benevolent me.
    "Perform random acts of Weezie"

<sniff...sniff>

Next, explain 'going to class' to him...

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    If I hear Duke hate while sitting in a sports bar, I tend to quote Schopenhauer: "to feel envy is human, to savor schadenfreude is diabolic" and order another round.

If I hear it while visiting relatives in west Texas, I generally lean on their enormous grill, crack open a beer, and say, "Suave, mari magno turbantibus aequora ventis, e terra magnum alterius spectare laborem," which they recognize more easily as, "it is pleasant to watch from the land the great struggle of someone else in a sea rendered great by turbulent winds."

If people utter Duke snark while we're waiting in line at the movie theater, I point out that comedic sadism is a cornerstone of slapstick, but Chaplin died in 1977, and really, such a genre reached it's peach over 500 years ago with the commedia dell'arte, so perhaps we should move on.

If people revel in a Duke injury, I quote from Lord Byron's Childe Harold's Pilgrimage:
    I see before me the Gladiator lie:
    He leans upon his hand—his manly brow
    Consents to death, but conquers agony,
    And his drooped head sinks gradually low—
    And through his side the last drops, ebbing slow
    From the red gash, fall heavy, one by one,
    Like the first of a thunder-shower; and now
    The arena swims around him: he is gone,
    Ere ceased the inhuman shout which hailed the wretch who won.

And when I hear a hostile Duke comment spoken by the faithful, I lean toward the offending mouth, perhaps too close, slide over to the adjacent ear and slowly whisper (while channeling my Pulp Fiction Samuel L. Jackson): "rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth: Lest the Lord see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him." (Proverbs 24:17–18).

I find that such responses not only take the wind out of their sails, but they also lead me to having plenty of free time when I might otherwise be bothered by social invitations.
    "There was an awful lot of schaden in that freude."

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by HaveFunExpectToWin View Post
    I’ve always gotten pleasure from a UNC loss to be sure, but I don’t enjoy seeing another player get injured. Even Tyler Hansbrough. Does that make me better than an extremely passionate Kentucky fan? Probably.
    Well, "better than an extremely passionate Kentucky fan" is a pretty low bar, so I'd agree with "probably."
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”