Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    I'm not sure whether VT was looking ahead to Duke or hosting ND. ODU scored 49 using their backup QB. They will be mad, but it can be done.
    I’m not sure it matters whether VaTech will be mad. As of now, they’ve beaten a bad FSU team, FCS sub-division Wiliam & Mary, and lost to an ODU team that entered the game 0-3 with losses to Liberty, FIU and Charlotte. VaTech just might not be as good as analysts thought. And, yes... given losses in the bottom of the top-25 this week, we should finally be (and deserve to be) ranked.

All in all a good game-no serious injuries, lots of players got in the game-those that have not in the past-in particular 2 RBs-Carter and Wolitzer, both got carries along with linemen on both sides of the ball. Nice to see these guys- who work their butts off-get on the field. Bobo made a great catch-portent of things to come. Both O and D lines did a good job-Tangelo especially. A pleasant, albeit a bit warm, day

Quote Originally Posted by Papa John View Post
    I’m not sure it matters whether VaTech will be mad. As of now, they’ve beaten a bad FSU team, FCS sub-division Wiliam & Mary, and lost to an ODU team that entered the game 0-3 with losses to Liberty, FIU and Charlotte. VaTech just might not be as good as analysts thought. And, yes... given losses in the bottom of the top-25 this week, we should finally be (and deserve to be) ranked.
    I agree we should be ranked this week...and expect us to be in the 20s...

As for VT - I don't think it matters if they are mad, but they will almost certainly be more focused than they would have had they beaten ODU. A shocking loss can destroy a team, or allow the coaches to get the players' attention in a manner that only a shocking loss can. I also expect Duke to be focused, having a bit of a lull in focus against NCCU, especially after the easy first 20 points.

Focus can really matter. Texas had the emotional (or focus) advantage against TCU - for maybe the second time ever. Texas could play the "underdog" card, while TCU left it all on the field against Ohio State. All these players are really good athletes...and the margin of physical superiority is not what it used to be. Anger, focus, emotional highs, can make you run a bit faster, hit a bit harder, etc, and can overcome a small physical deficiency. And look at Army...in addition to making Duke's opening win look fantastic, they wiped out what is a definite physical deficit versus Oklahoma and outplayed them, dominated the game in some way, due to, no doubt, superior focus and motivation.

I certainly don't know what will happen in Duke VT, but one thing for sure, the ODU shocker will have some kind of impact.

favorite play

One of my favorite plays yesterday was Tre Hornbuckle's solo tackle of the NCCU quarterback and another NCCU player (a lineman? running back?). Tre just wrapped them both up at the same time and took them down. I have not yet found a photo of the tackle, but it was impressive.

Go Duke - Beat Tech.

-ramdevil

Quote Originally Posted by ramdevil View Post
    One of my favorite plays yesterday was Tre Hornbuckle's solo tackle of the NCCU quarterback and another NCCU player (a lineman? running back?). Tre just wrapped them both up at the same time and took them down. I have not yet found a photo of the tackle, but it was impressive.

Go Duke - Beat Tech.

-ramdevil
    That certainly would be in the running for defensive play of the game.

On offense, how about the second play from scrimmage - the fake jet sweep got the NCCU defense moving one way while T.J. Rahming went the other way on the end around.

I really liked that play.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Bobo returning punts was nice to see...a glimpse into the future.
    His diving catch going OOB for a long first down in 4Q was a thing of beauty, too.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    His diving catch going OOB for a long first down in 4Q was a thing of beauty, too.
    I couldn't see the game, but ESPN had that as one of their thumbnail highlights...I had to re-watch it to see if it was in fact Bobo...and it was. I know it was in a rout, but seriously, I don't think we had a catch like that all last year. Had a few interceptions by the Duke DBs like that, but I don't remember a WR doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I couldn't see the game, but ESPN had that as one of their thumbnail highlights...I had to re-watch it to see if it was in fact Bobo...and it was. I know it was in a rout, but seriously, I don't think we had a catch like that all last year. Had a few interceptions by the Duke DBs like that, but I don't remember a WR doing that.
    Newton 14 and I discussed several plays in 4Q regarding what constituted sportsmanship and what was rubbing their noses in it. I think Cut used a lot of 4Q to get some snaps for the 2nd/3rd teams (4th team?) and "practice" a few things like 4th down plays, testing a new WR and getting a running TD for R-Sr Pierre.

...which BC has not done this year.
    My bad that was Syracuse who beat FSU. Sorry brain freeze.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    ... and "practice" a few things like 4th down plays, testing a new WR and getting a running TD for R-Sr Pierre.
    I was afraid that Pierre's 5-year experience with the team (QB, RB) would never get recognized. Minor appearances here and there. Now, at least, he's gotten his name into the scorebook. Even so, his best play will be his degrees: BA, Sociology/business certificate and MA, liberal studies.

This guy is persevering and deserves recognition for that.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    BC or Syracuse, same team to me. Both are Big East teams.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post

...we've all been there....

...we've all been there...
    Where?????

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Where?????
    Having a brain freeze on an internet message board...

Having a brain freeze on an internet message board...
    You missed me...

Steve Wiseman with a very nice and detailed summary of the game this AM in the News and Observer:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...218745740.html

Worth a thorough read as there are a lot of Cut quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by ramdevil View Post

Go Duke - Beat Tech.

-ramdevil
    I LOVED that play, too! As I saw it on TV, I said to my girlfriend, "That looks like something out of the the 3 Stooges!" I can just see Moe grabbing Larry and Curly around the shoulders like Hornbuckle did and boinking their heads together while muttering, "Why I oughta...." Good stuff!!!