Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Duke now is second place at +8, -5 for the day, as -- of this minute (second?) -- all five Devils are at or under par. USC leads and is having a big day at -8. The ninth place team (eight qualify for finals) is at +19.
    Duke still doing well. TV coverage on the Golf Channel begins Monday with the fourth and final round of medal play on Monday and then covers the team playoffs on Tuesday and Wednesday:

2019 NCAA DI Women's Golf Championships: Schedule
    Golf Channel TV schedule

Monday, May 20 — Individual National Championship 4-8 p.m.
    Tuesday, May 21 — Quarterfinals, Team Match Play, 11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.; Semifinals, Team Match Play, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m.
    Wednesday, May 22 — Team National Championship, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m.

The two teams that make the finals will play seven rounds of golf in six days -- without caddies.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Duke still doing well. TV coverage on the Golf Channel begins Monday with the fourth and final round of medal play on Monday and then covers the team playoffs on Tuesday and Wednesday:

2019 NCAA DI Women's Golf Championships: Schedule
    Golf Channel TV schedule

Monday, May 20 — Individual National Championship 4-8 p.m.
    Tuesday, May 21 — Quarterfinals, Team Match Play, 11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.; Semifinals, Team Match Play, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m.
    Wednesday, May 22 — Team National Championship, 4 p.m. - 8 p.m.

The two teams that make the finals will play seven rounds of golf in six days -- without caddies.
    MMM-mmmm-mmmm... Can't say anything.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Duke is now 9 under for the day and has taken a five stroke lead.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Duke is currently 50 strokes ahead of Kent State. I thought the black squirrels would pose more of a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Duke is currently 50 strokes ahead of Kent State. I thought the black squirrels would pose more of a challenge.
    Kent State, believe it or not, was ranked #5 nationally going into the tournament -- following USC, Texas, Duke and Arizona.
    Sage Grouse

Kent State, believe it or not, was ranked #5 nationally going into the tournament -- following USC, Texas, Duke and Arizona.
    Somebody's got some splaining to do.

Anyway, weather delay before all of our players have finished. "Mandatory evacuation" is the notice. Virginia (-2) and Gina (-3) have finished. Jaravee (-2) and Ana Belac (-3) have finished 17 holes. Miranda Wang (-2) has two left to play.

Duke is in first place at +3 overall and -10 for the day, six shots clear of #2 USC.
    Sage Grouse

I sure hope they use pull carts this year. IIRC, they are allowed to use carts, but have opted to carry in the past, only to get tired by the final rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooold View Post
    I sure hope they use pull carts this year. IIRC, they are allowed to use carts, but have opted to carry in the past, only to get tired by the final rounds.
    IIRC, there were some electric gizmos in use the last couple of years. We'll see what is available when the TV coverage starts on Monday.
    Sage Grouse

Play will not resume until Sunday.

Meanwhile, it looks like Duke's Leona Maguire just wrapped up her second win on the LPGA Symetra Classic, completed yesterday in Davidson, NC. From the Irish Times:

Brooks Koepka is not the only golfer dominating this weekend after Ireland’s Leona Maguire wrapped up a five-shot victory at the Symetra Classic in North Carolina to put her in pole position to secure a full LPGA card for next season.

The 24-year-old Cavan golfer went into the final round of the 54-hole event in a four-way tie for the lead, only to blow away her rivals with five birdies and no dropped shots in a five-under 67 to finish on 10 under.

It is Maguire’s second win of the season on the Symetra Tour and she now goes top of the Volvik Race For The Card rankings with earnings of $73,790, over $20,000 clear of her nearest challenger.
    Sage Grouse

Will be an interesting schedule

Meanwhile, it looks like Duke's Leona Maguire just wrapped up her second win on the LPGA Symetra Classic, completed yesterday in Davidson, NC. From the Irish Times:
    First of all congratulations to Leona, who is on fire right now. She has won two of her last three tournaments and finished 2nd in the other, losing in a playoff. She also finished in the top 2 to qualify for the US Women's Open.

The NCAA women's tournament starts with 24 teams, after 3 rounds they cut to 15 and then to 8 after the fourth round. Then quarter and semi finals one day, final two teams play the 3rd.
    The final 3 days are covered on the Golf Channel. Next day is practice for the men, then it starts all over with the men.

Half of the field did not even start today. Duke had 3 players finish, and two need to come out early tomorrow and finish up.

So the NCAA either needs to adjust the format or figure out how to get it all in. Weather forecast is good for Sunday/Monday then rain on Tuesday which is supposed to be the quarter and semi finals.
    I am also told the course is very hilly. If I label the teams that played A and those that did not start B then they could try
    Sunday - A finishes round 2, B plays round 2, A plays round 3.
    Monday - B plays round 3, Top 15 play round 4.

Now back on schedule, The teams from group B that made the final 15 would have to play 36 holes.

Quarters and Semis Tuesday, maybe in the rain.

This format is kind of fun and does get TV coverage. However there is very little room to maneuver around the weather. Moreover since the Men and Women play the same course back to back, it probably reduces the number of available courses as some would not want to give up their course for over two weeks in a row

For the next three years the championships move to Scottsdale, which greatly reduces the rain factor but adds the heat factor

SoCal

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalDukeFan View Post
    ...Scottsdale, which greatly reduces the rain factor but adds the heat factor
    But it is a dry heat...

First of all congratulations to Leona, who is on fire right now. She has won two of her last three tournaments and finished 2nd in the other, losing in a playoff. She also finished in the top 2 to qualify for the US Women's Open.

The NCAA women's tournament starts with 24 teams, after 3 rounds they cut to 15 and then to 8 after the fourth round. Then quarter and semi finals one day, final two teams play the 3rd.
    The final 3 days are covered on the Golf Channel. Next day is practice for the men, then it starts all over with the men.

Half of the field did not even start today. Duke had 3 players finish, and two need to come out early tomorrow and finish up.

So the NCAA either needs to adjust the format or figure out how to get it all in. Weather forecast is good for Sunday/Monday then rain on Tuesday which is supposed to be the quarter and semi finals.
    I am also told the course is very hilly. If I label the teams that played A and those that did not start B then they could try
    Sunday - A finishes round 2, B plays round 2, A plays round 3.
    Monday - B plays round 3, Top 15 play round 4.

Now back on schedule, The teams from group B that made the final 15 would have to play 36 holes.

Quarters and Semis Tuesday, maybe in the rain.

This format is kind of fun and does get TV coverage. However there is very little room to maneuver around the weather. Moreover since the Men and Women play the same course back to back, it probably reduces the number of available courses as some would not want to give up their course for over two weeks in a row

For the next three years the championships move to Scottsdale, which greatly reduces the rain factor but adds the heat factor

SoCal
    FWIW, Duke, USC and Texas -- plus the other "almost finishers" -- get a huge break. The teams that will have to play 36 tomorrow are the lesser-ranked teams, already at a disadvantage. Duke players only have four holes left to play, in toto, before starting the third round sometime later on Sunday.

I keep forgetting about the cut-down from 24 to 15 teams after three rounds -- thanks for the reminder.

Also, the women's schedule probably will not be allowed to slip by a day. The men tee off on Friday, and Thursday is the only practice day. Well, I take that back -- the finals only involve five twosomes, and could happen on Thursday without too much interference.
    Sage Grouse

This was my guess

FWIW, Duke, USC and Texas -- plus the other "almost finishers" -- get a huge break. The teams that will have to play 36 tomorrow are the lesser-ranked teams, already at a disadvantage. Duke players only have four holes left to play, in toto, before starting the third round sometime later on Sunday.

I keep forgetting about the cut-down from 24 to 15 teams after three rounds -- thanks for the reminder.

Also, the women's schedule probably will not be allowed to slip by a day. The men tee off on Friday, and Thursday is the only practice day. Well, I take that back -- the finals only involve five twosomes, and could happen on Thursday without too much interference.
    And one scenario.

NCAA may try something else.

SoCal

Medal Play Shortened

to 54 holes I hear.

Tuesday rain forecast remains an issue.

SoCal

Keep updates coming. Thanks!

Leona won her US Open qualifying spot at Starmount Forest CC in Greensboro, my home course! I’ve been a member there for two years. LGD GTHc!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

There's Reading Comprehension and Then There's 'Writing Comprehension'

to 54 holes I hear.

Tuesday rain forecast remains an issue.

SoCal
    Quote from the NCAA.com page:

DI Women's golf championship action will continue with Round 2 on Sunday, May 19. This round will be a continuation of the postponed action on Saturday. Instead of the initially planned 72 holes, stroke play will be limited to just 54 holes. All 24 teams and 12 individuals in the tournament will play, and the pairings for that round will be based on the 36-hole scores. Individual medalists will be honored after the 54 holes. At this point, the field will be reduced to just the top eight teams, and these teams will start match play quarterfinals on Tuesday.
    There are two possibilities: First, Round 3 starts Monday, and Sunday is exclusively for Round 2 -- half the field hasn't teed off yet. In this case, the Duke players play only three holes of golf -- two by Miranda, and one by Jaravee. Second, Round 3 starts late on Sunday. Given that the top group of teams is more than halfway through Round 2, and the second group tees off at either 10 AM today or 11:06 AM. There may be time to complete round two, establish the pairings for Round 3, and get started. I suspect it's the former, but I can't tell.

But if the latter, the NCAA may have the chance to begin the quarter-finals on Monday afternoon.

Anyway, I like our position -- seven-shot lead over #2 USC and likely a 20-shot lead over the ninth place team after the second-tier teams play today.
    Sage Grouse

Women's Tennis

Just a note here; I think we have slighted the Duke Women's Tennis team, who also had a terrific season and advanced deep into the NCAA playoffs.

Duke Drops Heartbreaker to Georgia in Semifinals

ORLANDO, Fla. – A back-and-forth battle came to a heartbreaking end Saturday evening in the semifinals of the NCAA Team Championship as the fifth-ranked Duke women’s tennis team fell to top-ranked Georgia, 4-2, at the USTA National Campus.

2019 featured Duke in the finals of the ACC Championship and the semifinals of the NCAA Team Championship and the ITA Indoor National Championships.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...072.1556402725

I am a wee bit embarrassed that I had to look up "Cavan."