Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Duke Women's Golf, 2019 National Champions!!!!!!!

The fall season has started with the Duke women playing in the ANNIKA Intercollegiate at Elmo Lake, Minnesota. The tournament, which runs today through Wednesday, features nine of the top ten teams in its 12-team field.

Play was truncated this afternoon due to lightning, but with Duke (#4 preseason) in the lead at -9 with only two players still to finish. Second is pre-season #1 Alabama at -8. In the individual competition, Ana Belac and Virginia Elena Carter are tied for second and Jaravee Boonchant is tied for fourth.

Play in the 54-hole will resume tomorrow AM.

Go Duke!
    Last edited by Bob Green; 05-22-2019 at 08:35 PM.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Day 2 -- Another Strong Round by the Women

The Duke women finished today with a ten-under par score and a two-day total of -19. They lead the field by three shots (over UCLA) with some teams still on the course. Here's the link.

Ana Belac, at -11, has a two-shot lead over the field in the individual competition. Jaravee is tied for fifth.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Not entirely on topic, but this news is just awful.

Decorated college/amateur golfer found stabbed to death at course

One of the most celebrated golfers in the history of the Iowa State women’s golf program was found dead at an Ames, Iowa, golf course on Monday with police suspecting foul play.

Celia Barquin Arozamena, a 22-year-old from Spain who had finished her senior season in the spring by winning the Big 12 individual title, was taking classes to complete her civil engineering degree this fall and preparing for Stage II of LPGA Q school. On Monday, her body was discovered at Coldwater Links Golf Course after officials were concerned with seeing a golf bag with no one near it on the course. Barquin Arozamena was eventually found some distance away in a pond where her belongings were also found.

After following up leads and asking the community earlier in the day for any clues it might have, Ames police arrested and charged Collin Daniel Richards, 22, late Monday night with first-degree murder.

https://sports.yahoo.com/decorated-c...120832251.html
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The Duke women finished today with a ten-under par score and a two-day total of -19. They lead the field by three shots (over UCLA) with some teams still on the course. Here's the link.

Ana Belac, at -11, has a two-shot lead over the field in the individual competition. Jaravee is tied for fifth.
    Here's how the teams finished at the end of Day Two:
    Code:
    -19 Duke
    -17 Alabama (went -10 on the last four holes)
    -16 UCLA
    -15 Southern California
    -10 Texas
    Should be a great final day. Go Duke!
    Sage Grouse

Not a good day. We sank like a rock. Duke was +5 for the final day and ended up fifth, 14 shots behind Alabama and 12 behind UCLA. Ana Belac ended up fourth in the individual competition, three shots behind.

We are still looking forward to a great season from the women golfers. Go Duke!
    Sage Grouse

Thanks for the updates, Sage.

Tar Hell Invitational

For the third straight tournament the Duke women are fast out of the gate, leading the Ruth's Chris Tar Hell Invitational by six shots with a -17 score of 271. This is a two-day tournament and the next-to-last of the fall season. UVa is second at -11 and Arkansas third at -3 -- the only other teams under par. The host Tar Heels are in tenth at +9.

In the individual competition, sophomore Jaravee Boonchant is in first place at -6, followed by senior and former NCAA champ Virginia Elena Carta and junior Ana Belac, who are tied for fourth at -4.

Let's hope our great first round leads to victory this time.\

Kindly,
    Sage
    'Sorry about the misspelled headline -- I really did mean to type "Heel." I would be happy for a Mod to correct'
    Sage Grouse

You spelled it correctly

Duke Wins Tar Heel Invitational!

I am going to retire from reporting women's golf -- this is the second of a three-day tournament. Somehow I thought it was a 36-hole tournament. So the headline is wrong, or, at least, premature.

Duke's second round was seventeen strokes higher than Friday's opening round, but we maintained a sizable lead. Duke is eight strokes ahead of Virginia, with Arkansas in third, eleven shots behind.

Virginia Elena Carta is second in the individual competition; Ana Belac is tied for sixth. First-round leader Jaravee Boonchant went 66-76 to sit in a tie for ninth.

Go Duke!
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 10-13-2018 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Totally re-wrote to correct dumb mistake
    Sage Grouse

Dukee Really Does Win Tar Heel Invitational

A day after my false headline, Duke finished strongly to win the Ruth's Chris Tar Heel Invitational by six shots over Virginia and nine shots ahead of Arkansas.

Ana Belac finished third in the individual competition behind Wake's Emilia Migliaccio. Virginia was tied for fifth, and Jaravee Boonchant was tied for eighth.

Go Duke!!!
    Sage Grouse

Blue Devils Head to Auburn Regionals as No. 1 Seed

This from goduke.com http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

And now in 1st place in the regional after 2 days.

http://results.golfstat.com/public/l...team&tid=17532

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Blue Devils Head to Auburn Regionals as No. 1 Seed

This from goduke.com http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

And now in 1st place in the regional after 2 days.

Thanks for posting. Top six advance to nationals and -- no -- scores don't carry over.

Logjam at the top, but Duke is 12 shots ahead of the #7 team (actually, two are tied for 6th). Tomorrow is the last day.

Gina Kim and Jaravee Boonchant are T5 (-1) in the individual scoring; Ana Belac is T12 (+1); Virginia Elena Carter and Miranda Wang are T28 (+4). Everyone is playing fairly well.

Nationals for both women and men are in Fayetteville, Arkansas. The women play next weekend; the men the week after. Duke men are #2 seed in the Athens regional starting next Monday.

Go Duke!
    Sage Grouse

Duke has slipped to 4th after the first 9 holes in the 3rd (final) round of the Regionals.
    Still only 2 shots out of the lead, and 9 shots ahead of the 6th place team, which is the final qualifying spot for nationals.

Duke easily qualifies for the finals by coming in third in the Regional at 4 over par.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

On to Nationals

Duke finished 3rd in the regionals at +4 for the tournament, behind Vanderbilt and Florida State. Jaravee Boorchant finished tied for 3rd in the individual standings.

The team qualified for the finals, held in Fayetteville, Arkansas beginning May 17.

Day One of the NCAA Championship - Duke in Fifth

The standings are pretty much a rugby scrum at the Women's NCAA golf championship in Fayetteville, AR. There are ten teams within ten shots of the lead, which is held by Texas and host Arkansas at +10. Duke is in fifth at +13. The team scoring uses the best four out of five scores over 18 holes for the team total each day.

If the format is the same as last year's, four days of medal play produce the individual champion and the top eight teams, which then go through a single elimination tournament over the next two days (Tuesday and Wednesday). Miranda Wang (T13, +2), Jaravee Boonchant and Ana Belac ( both T19, +3) lead the Blue Devils.

Duke (seeded #3) tees off at 7 AM CDT playing with and against Texas (#2) and Southern California (#1).

Duke has won the NCAAwomen's championships six times.

Go Duke!!
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 05-17-2019 at 10:54 PM. Reason: Added Saturday tee times
    Sage Grouse

Tough course or maybe tough weather conditions?
    As Sage notes, the leading team is +10 after Round 1

Here is the live scoring link (warning: it can be addictive when a title is on the line)
    http://results.golfstat.com/public/l...072.1556402725

Aha! Duke moves to the lead with -3 in first three holes mat the beginning of the 2nd round of the NCAA champioships. (Roywhite said following the scores was addictive.)
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Aha! Duke moves to the lead with -3 in first three holes mat the beginning of the 2nd round of the NCAA champioships. (Roywhite said following the scores was addictive.)
    It is! There is no bigger online rollercoaster than team golf leaderboards...

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    It is! There is no bigger online rollercoaster than team golf leaderboards...
    Duke now is second place at +8, -5 for the day, as -- of this minute (second?) -- all five Devils are at or under par. USC leads and is having a big day at -8. The ninth place team (eight qualify for finals) is at +19.
    Sage Grouse