Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SI Top 100 NBA Players of 2019

SI published its annual top 100 NBA players list. Four Blue Devils made then cut: Brandon Ingram at 75; J.J. Redick at 62; and Jayson Tatum at 39; and Kyrie Irving at 17.

Top 100 NBA Players of 2019

Who would have thought back in 2015 or 2016 that as we head into the 2018-19 season, J.J. Redick would still be ranked ahead of Parker, Okafor, Winslow and Ingram?

Quote Originally Posted by phaedrus View Post
    Who would have thought back in 2015 or 2016 that as we head into the 2018-19 season, J.J. Redick would still be ranked ahead of Parker, Okafor, Winslow and Ingram?
    Indeed. Moreover, in the cases of Parker, Okafor and Winslow, they are not merely ranked below J.J. (and rightly), they don't even make the list.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    Indeed. Moreover, in the cases of Parker, Okafor and Winslow, they are not merely ranked below J.J. (and rightly), they don't even make the list.
    Yeah, no disrespect to Parker, Okafor or Winslow. Love those guys but J.J. rocks. He never backed down from a challenge at Duke. He's made a very good N.B.A. career for himself. This guy works hard on his game.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    Of those 3, Winslow has a great shot at cracking the top 100. Parker can if his offense takes a level up and he gives minimal effort on D (versus no D). Okafor has no chance.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Of those 3, Winslow has a great shot at cracking the top 100.
    Justise has a big year coming up as he will be a RFA after this season. His D is top shelf and he has shown he can play multiple positions, even serving as a major distributor for the Heat at times. But, he needs to show that last season's 38% 3FG shooting wasn't just a flash in the pan (he had been well under 30% in his 2 previous seasons). His poor shooting and lack of scoring is the thing holding him back from being a really good NBA player. I doubt he will ever be a consisten 15ppg scorer, but if he can get closer to 11-13 ppg, combined with his D and other intangibles, he can be a really important player for any franchise.

-Jason "if Justise only averages like 7 ppg again and if his long-range shooting regresses, he likely won't find all that much of a market in free agency" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    ...J.J. rocks. He never backed down from a challenge at Duke...
    Nor in the NBA or life. You are spot on Marty. He's managed to convince even Bill Simmons!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

JJ's continued NBA stature is a testament to how incredibly hard he has worked on his game over the years while also staying in top physical shape. I've always argued that a player's success has almost everything to do with the individual talent, physical makeup, and work ethic of the player and far FAR less on who coached them or what program they came from.

JJ has made the absolute best of his abilities with a great attention to detail in his game while staying healthy throughout his career. And he's had a lot of talent to work with as well.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

JJ will pass $90 mil in career earnings this season. His hard work has been richly rewarded.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    JJ will pass $90 mil in career earnings this season. His hard work has been richly rewarded.
    J.J. at #62 is amazing. There are 32 teams, and an average of 1.9 players per team ranks higher than #62.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    JJ's continued NBA stature is a testament to how incredibly hard he has worked on his game over the years while also staying in top physical shape. I've always argued that a player's success has almost everything to do with the individual talent, physical makeup, and work ethic of the player and far FAR less on who coached them or what program they came from.

JJ has made the absolute best of his abilities with a great attention to detail in his game while staying healthy throughout his career. And he's had a lot of talent to work with as well.
    I agree with this, and will add the importance of the player recognizing their best role on the team and working to maximize that role. A lot of guys never accept that they aren't meant to be "the man". It reminds me of the Popovich saying that he wants players who "have gotten over themselves".

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    It reminds me of the Popovich saying that he wants players who "have gotten over themselves".
    Did he say that before or after the Leonard trade?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    J.J. at #62 is amazing. There are 32 teams, and an average of 1.9 players per team ranks higher than #62.
    In some ways amazing and in some ways not. He was recognized as the best shooter coming out of college- still holds some ACC records, was a 2 time first team All american, 2x ACC player of the year and national player of the year. Yes he played in an era when the best players went pro early but JJ is a special talent. It just took a little time to get rolling in the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Did he say that before or after the Leonard trade?
    Good call...he has long said that, and I think he probably thought Kawhi was one of those guys. I'm not sure he counted on Uncle Dennis.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    In some ways amazing and in some ways not. He was recognized as the best shooter coming out of college- still holds some ACC records, was a 2 time first team All american, 2x ACC player of the year and national player of the year. Yes he played in an era when the best players went pro early but JJ is a special talent. It just took a little time to get rolling in the NBA.
    Hansbrough had similar accolades upon leaving the dump. I guess it’s taking him a little longer to get rolling.😀

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I dunno, Dukelifer... J.J. was drafted #11, presumably all the best judgments of the scouts and GMs at the time, given that ten teams passed on him. He has played 19,000 mins, grabbed 1,502 rebounds and scored 9,412 points.

Just a quick looks suggests the only players with better careers drafted ahead of him are LaMarcus Aldridge (30,000 mins., 7,224 RBs, 16,871 PTs) and Rudy Gay (28,000 mins., 4,743 RBs, 14,515 PTs). Randy Foye's numbers are roughly comparable to J.J.'s, but he is no longer in the league.

Maybe I overlooked someone... The first 15 picks in 2006 were --

1. Andrea Bargnani
    2. LaMarcus Aldridge
    3. Adam Morrison
    4. Tyrus Thomas
    5. Shelden Williams
    6. Brandon Roy
    7. Randy Foye
    8. Rudy Gay
    9. Patrick O'Bryant
    10. Mouhamed Sene
    11. J. J. Redick
    12. Hilton Armstrong
    13. Thabo Sefolosha
    14. Ronnie Brewer
    15. Cedric Simmons
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 09-18-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Minor tweak
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I dunno, Dukelifer... J.J. was drafted #11, presumably all the best judgments of the scouts and GMs at the time, given that ten teams passed on him. He has played 19,000 mins, grabbed 1,502 rebounds and scored 9,412 points.

Just a quick looks suggests the only players with better careers drafted ahead of him are LaMarcus Aldridge (30,000 mins., 7,224 RBs, 16,871 PTs) and Rudy Gay (28,000 mins., 4,743 RBs, 14,515 PTs). Randy Foye's numbers are roughly comparable to J.J.'s, but he is no longer in the league.

Maybe I overlooked someone... The first 15 picks in 2006 were --

1. Andrea Bargnani
    2. LaMarcus Aldridge
    3. Adam Morrison
    4. Tyrus Thomas
    5. Shelden Williams
    6. Brandon Roy
    7. Randy Foye
    8. Rudy Gay
    9. Patrick O'Bryant
    10. Mouhamed Sene
    11. J. J. Redick
    12. Hilton Armstrong
    13. Thabo Sefolosha
    14. Ronnie Brewer
    15. Cedric Simmons
    In the what could have been department, it would have been nice to see what Brandon Roy could have done had his knees been better.

Tyrus Thomas
    I take particular satisfaction in seeing JJ outperform Tyrus Thomas so thoroughly.
    Carolina delenda est

Only Harrison Barnes on the list from UNC, none from State.

I was surprised to see TJ Warren off the list, but I guess being the second best player on one of the worst teams gets you little recognition.

The first 15 picks in 2006 were --

1. Andrea Bargnani
    2. LaMarcus Aldridge
    3. Adam Morrison
    4. Tyrus Thomas
    5. Shelden Williams
    6. Brandon Roy
    7. Randy Foye
    8. Rudy Gay
    9. Patrick O'Bryant
    10. Mouhamed Sene
    11. J. J. Redick
    12. Hilton Armstrong
    13. Thabo Sefolosha
    14. Ronnie Brewer
    15. Cedric Simmons
    2006 is one of those legendarily bad drafts.

HoopsHype did a redraft a few months back and they came up with.

1. Lamarcus Aldridge (originally #2)
    2. Kyle Lowry (24)
    3. Paul Millsap (47)
    4. Rajon Rondo (21)
    5. Rudy Gay (8)
    6. Brandon Roy (6)
    7. JJ Redick (11)
    8. Thabo Sefolosha (13)
    9. JJ Barea (undrafted)
    10. PJ Tucker (35)
    11. Andrea Bargnani (1)
    12. Randy Foye (7)
    13. CJ Watson (undrafted)
    14. Ronnie Brewer (14)
    15. Jordan Farmar (26)
    16. Steve Novak (31)
    17. Tyrus Thomas (4)
    18. Shawne Williams (17)

-Jason "only 5 of those guys ever made an All-Star game and fewer than 10 were regular starters over more than a couple years of their career" Evans