View Poll Results: Which of these is your favorite Duke player?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jason Williams

116 72.05%
  • Danny Ferry

45 27.95%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Perhaps if his heave had dropped, he's be on everyone else's all-time lists.
    Along the same lines, had Jason made that free throw and we go on to win a fourth national championship, there is not one person here who wouldn't vote Jason. He would have been a god (if he wasn't one to begin with).

Well, Danny is getting killed. I was appalled yesterday when JWill was almost doubling Danny's vote total. To log in this morning and see him being tripled. Grrrrrrrrr. Folks, that is just WRONG!!

--Jason "the defeat is not that hard to take, but the landslide is sad" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Well, Danny is getting killed. I was appalled yesterday when JWill was almost doubling Danny's vote total. To log in this morning and see him being tripled. Grrrrrrrrr. Folks, that is just WRONG!!

--Jason "the defeat is not that hard to take, but the landslide is sad" Evans
    I wonder how many of those voting for JW think Spiderman is the greatest movie ever made?

Now now; guys you have to remember that there has to be a winner and a loser here. Plenty of people would put Danny Ferry in their top five and top eight or whathaveyou. But Jason Williams was a very special type of player and was a member of what many consider the best starting five in Duke history. So don't take it badly that Danny is so low; put JWill against Shane and you might see a similar trend, even tho ALL of us LOVE Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Now now; guys you have to remember that there has to be a winner and a loser here. Plenty of people would put Danny Ferry in their top five and top eight or whathaveyou. But Jason Williams was a very special type of player and was a member of what many consider the best starting five in Duke history. So don't take it badly that Danny is so low; put JWill against Shane and you might see a similar trend, even tho ALL of us LOVE Jason.
    A pox upon you!! Let me be bitter and angry and old and leave me alone!!

This poll is closed. Jason Williams moves on to the Great 8.

-Jason

One more quick Danny Ferry story. As a kid growing up in the DC burbs, he didn't have much basketball competition (think a 6'10," 16 year old , Larry Birdish guy trying to get up a game on a court near a mall--while I'm sure he got grief about his name, I have a feeling he could take are of himself). Anyway, he apparently took the bus into downtown DC for pickup games all summer, and, having the choice to attend any hs in the area, chose the predominately black DeMatha, which was far better known as a sports powerhouse than a school for affluent suburban kids. These decisions honed his skills but earned him street cred with future ACC players.

Of course, he was doing his commuting when today's college juniors were being born, so it makes sense that he'd lose to JW, who was spectacular but I don't think any scarier to opposing teams than DF.
    Last edited by johnb; 10-30-2007 at 09:52 AM. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Anyway, he apparently took the bus into downtown DC for pickup games all summer, and, having the choice to attend any hs in the area, chose the predominately black DeMatha, which was far better known as a sports powerhouse than a school for affluent suburban kids. .
    Can't let that stand. For the record, from their own site, they're "about 30%" minority.

This site claims it's about 22% African American. Hardly "predominately black".

Back to you regularly scheduled polls.

-jk

Ferry Memory

One memory of Ferry: I was in Cameron one day either after practice or before the season when I came upon Danny and Quinn engaging in a game of strip Horse. Ferry lost and briefly revealed his sunny side. I remember thinking that given their status I could have made alot of money selling tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    One memory of Ferry: I was in Cameron one day either after practice or before the season when I came upon Danny and Quinn engaging in a game of strip Horse. Ferry lost and briefly revealed his sunny side. I remember thinking that given their status I could have made alot of money selling tickets.
    WTF?!

-EarlJam

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Can't let that stand. For the record, from their own site, they're "about 30%" minority.

This site claims it's about 22% African American. Hardly "predominately black".

-jk
    My mistake. The site I read this morning indicated that he was "one of the few white players in the history of the school," which may or may not be correct (or of interest) but is referring to the basketball team not the overall DeMatha population. I also hadn't realized that while DeMatha hoops is generally vying to be the best team in the country, many of their other sports are just as good (wrestling has won 21 consecutive league championships; soccer just had a 67 game win streak broken; swimming is nationally ranked, etc., so that Sports Illustrated recently rated them as having the 2nd best overall hs athletics program in the country).

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Beem View Post
    I wonder how many of those voting for JW think Spiderman is the greatest movie ever made?
    Face it, Karl, we're old farts.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”