Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First visit

Women's Schedule is out now.

UKDukeFan will be able to catch the women in Cameron against VT on Valentine's day.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Women's Schedule is out now.

UKDukeFan will be able to catch the women in Cameron against VT on Valentine's day.
    The replies on her have been interesting reads and allowed me to contemplate where we might go away from campus and basketball. Thanks Big Wayne, I'd did see the schedule for the women out yesterday and looked for tickets but non available then and then tonight via Stubhub they seem to be all sold out. Are the women's games all sellouts? Is it best to attend on the day and try and buy via scalpers?

On the plus side I have been in contact via email with a Duke Alum who provides tours of Cameron and associated facilities which is amazing so my wife and I will hopefully see all things Duke Basketball during the week!

Quote Originally Posted by UKDukeFan View Post
    The replies on her have been interesting reads and allowed me to contemplate where we might go away from campus and basketball. Thanks Big Wayne, I'd did see the schedule for the women out yesterday and looked for tickets but non available then and then tonight via Stubhub they seem to be all sold out. Are the women's games all sellouts? Is it best to attend on the day and try and buy via scalpers?

On the plus side I have been in contact via email with a Duke Alum who provides tours of Cameron and associated facilities which is amazing so my wife and I will hopefully see all things Duke Basketball during the week!
    You won't have any trouble finding tickets for the women's game against VT. They just announced the schedule so nothing is going to be set up online yet.

That's reassuring to know!

Thank you BigWayne😁

I started this thread some time ago in anticipation of my wife and I visiting from the UK in February. I have to say I found the responses and advice invaluable. Thank you to all who replied.

However, I have a problem now! I booked the wrong vacation dates. I've never done this before in my life but booked flights, hotel, car hire and game tickets (via Stubhub, including flights, hotel and tickets to Duke playing at Louisville) for the week before my week school vacation for what is called half term in the UK.

This is proving a bit of a headache (and expensive) but in trying to be positive about this I recognise that it may throw up some interesting possibilities for the week we are actually now scheduled to arrive 2/16 to 2/23. Can I ask for any advice on the following from those in the know please:

1. Washington Duke Inn is now not available (nor is JB Duke). Recommended hotels near campus or downtown if that is a good idea (I was guessing to be near campus but am open to ideas)?

2. We fly in on 2/16 at 16:30 and see that Duke are due to play NC state. When will the start time be announced (as we could buy tickets) as it is TBA at the moment?

3. Is the only way to buy two tickets to the UNC game via scalpers (we would call touts in the UK)? I fully understand we'd have to pay a large price for 2 tickets but worry about being scammed? Could we safely get two tickets for UNC this way?

4. How do I resell some existing tickets (including Duke at Louisville) via Stubhub? I have never used Stubhub before and need to try and get some money back to afford the additional costs I have incurred.

I do appreciate I have asked a lot here so any advice would be great and any friendly faces on arrival in Durham to meet, have a beer and chat all things Duke would be an amazing early 50th present for me and my wife.

I started this thread some time ago in anticipation of my wife and I visiting from the UK in February. I have to say I found the responses and advice invaluable. Thank you to all who replied.

However, I have a problem now! I booked the wrong vacation dates. I've never done this before in my life but booked flights, hotel, car hire and game tickets (via Stubhub, including flights, hotel and tickets to Duke playing at Louisville) for the week before my week school vacation for what is called half term in the UK.

This is proving a bit of a headache (and expensive) but in trying to be positive about this I recognise that it may throw up some interesting possibilities for the week we are actually now scheduled to arrive 2/16 to 2/23. Can I ask for any advice on the following from those in the know please:

1. Washington Duke Inn is now not available (nor is JB Duke). Recommended hotels near campus or downtown if that is a good idea (I was guessing to be near campus but am open to ideas)?

2. We fly in on 2/16 at 16:30 and see that Duke are due to play NC state. When will the start time be announced (as we could buy tickets) as it is TBA at the moment?

3. Is the only way to buy two tickets to the UNC game via scalpers (we would call touts in the UK)? I fully understand we'd have to pay a large price for 2 tickets but worry about being scammed? Could we safely get two tickets for UNC this way?

4. How do I resell some existing tickets (including Duke at Louisville) via Stubhub? I have never used Stubhub before and need to try and get some money back to afford the additional costs I have incurred.

I do appreciate I have asked a lot here so any advice would be great and any friendly faces on arrival in Durham to meet, have a beer and chat all things Duke would be an amazing early 50th present for me and my wife.
    One item: Selling tickets on Stub Hub is incredibly easy and intuitive. Just go to the link on the top right that says "Sell." It will walk you through the process and you get to decide the sale price.

It will help you decide price by showing what other tickets are for sale and their price.

You could probably easily sell the tickets on this site. Tickets for unc will not be easy or cheap. Tix for the Wolfies should be doable. Use the McGrupp method (sorry not sure how to link here), or revert to StubHub. Good luck and enjoy!!!

My wife and I arrived yesterday at the 21C hotel and gambled on a quick check in and taxi to Cameron to try and get some tickets for the Wolfpack game. Alas, we couldn't find any so made do with watching the game in The Loop with the students, which was great!

Just had breakfast and saw Lance Thomas so had a quick chat and picture with him...awesome!

We've got tickets for UNC women's basketball v UVA today and also NC State v Notre Dame tomorrow but the big one is obviously UNC on Wednesday. We're going to try and get tickets (I know it'll be really hard and if we're lucky we'll have to pay way over the odds but any advice on the best way of doing this would be greatly appreciated)?

After falling in love with basketball, but Duke basketball in particular, in the late 1990s I cannot believe we're here and in Durham as an early 50th present. I've re-read the thread for advice and thank everyone for your advice. If you see a couple looking lost around Cameron or in Durham at any stage, that'll be us! Please say hello?

My wife and I arrived yesterday at the 21C hotel and gambled on a quick check in and taxi to Cameron to try and get some tickets for the Wolfpack game. Alas, we couldn't find any so made do with watching the game in The Loop with the students, which was great!

Just had breakfast and saw Lance Thomas so had a quick chat and picture with him...awesome!

We've got tickets for UNC women's basketball v UVA today and also NC State v Notre Dame tomorrow but the big one is obviously UNC on Wednesday. We're going to try and get tickets (I know it'll be really hard and if we're lucky we'll have to pay way over the odds but any advice on the best way of doing this would be greatly appreciated)?

After falling in love with basketball, but Duke basketball in particular, in the late 1990s I cannot believe we're here and in Durham as an early 50th present. I've re-read the thread for advice and thank everyone for your advice. If you see a couple looking lost around Cameron or in Durham at any stage, that'll be us! Please say hello?
    be careful Wednesday... tons of fakes. if it's too good a deal, it probably is.

Someone who has never been to Cameron just emailed me asking for advice about a Durham/Duke visit. I found this thread and pointed them to it. Any locals have anything they want to add over the past couple years? Has any of the advice from this thread changed lately?
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Someone who has never been to Cameron just emailed me asking for advice about a Durham/Duke visit. I found this thread and pointed them to it. Any locals have anything they want to add over the past couple years? Has any of the advice from this thread changed lately?
    the only thing that i see that no longer exists is gonza taco.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    the only thing that i see that no longer exists is gonza taco.
    They were selling them yesterday at the football game, but it might not be a Cameron concession. We will know on Friday night. I would recommend the trip over to North Raleigh for Torchy's anyway.

We might want to indicate that this thread is from 2018. I was about to post we don't host Louisville in basketball this year.

Quote Originally Posted by duke2x View Post
    They were selling them yesterday at the football game, but it might not be a Cameron concession. We will know on Friday night. I would recommend the trip over to North Raleigh for Torchy's anyway.

We might want to indicate that this thread is from 2018. I was about to post we don't host Louisville in basketball this year.
    the Durham location no longer exists, even if the chain still does

I didn't re-read up thread but a variety of places to consider that I think are all open:

9th St: Dain's, Local 22, Parizade, Vin Rouge, Juju, Monuts, Mad Hatter, Lime & Lemon, HeavBuff (wings), Cosmic Cantina (serious dive), Elmo's (diner)
    North downtown: Geer St Garden, Boxcar, Motorco / Parts & Labor, Hutchins Garage, Accordian Club, Surf Club, Fullsteam, Durham Food Hall
    Central downtown: Pompieri, Bull City Burger & Brewery, Dos Perros, Luna, Dashi, Rue Cler, MSushi, Durham Hotel rooftop, Pizzeria Toro, Viceroy, Mateo's, Toast, Bull McCabe's
    A bit farther from downtown: High Wire, Ponysaurus, Bull City Ciderworks, Grub, Guglhupf, Beer Study
    Sweet stuff: The Parlour, Simon Says, Locopops

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post
    I didn't re-read up thread but a variety of places to consider that I think are all open:

9th St: Dain's, Local 22, Parizade, Vin Rouge, Juju, Monuts, Mad Hatter, Lime & Lemon, HeavBuff (wings), Cosmic Cantina (serious dive), Elmo's (diner)
    North downtown: Geer St Garden, Boxcar, Motorco / Parts & Labor, Hutchins Garage, Accordian Club, Surf Club, Fullsteam, Durham Food Hall
    Central downtown: Pompieri, Bull City Burger & Brewery, Dos Perros, Luna, Dashi, Rue Cler, MSushi, Durham Hotel rooftop, Pizzeria Toro, Viceroy, Mateo's, Toast, Bull McCabe's
    A bit farther from downtown: High Wire, Ponysaurus, Bull City Ciderworks, Grub, Guglhupf, Beer Study
    heavenly buffaloes is a GD durham treasure at this point. I'm pretty sure 100% of my disposable income would have gone to HB were it there when I was a student.
    1200. DDMF.

The Boot

My Property Manager owns this space with her husband. A Football Pub (Soccer) Never been there, but looks good on the website.
    https://www.bootroomdurham.com/
    Yet to go but has rave reviews. The Saltbox
    https://www.saltboxseafoodjoint.com/
    Not from Texas, but love Texas Style brisket Tri Tip and Ribs.
    Don't think Durham or Chapel Hill has this available, though Wake County has a foodtruck Dampf BBQ and the Chain; City BBQ
    And this sounds good but have yet to try in search of Texas BBQ style food.
    https://www.lawrencebarbecue.com/

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    My Property Manager owns this space with her husband. A Football Pub (Soccer) Never been there, but looks good on the website.
    https://www.bootroomdurham.com/
    Yet to go but has rave reviews. The Saltbox
    https://www.saltboxseafoodjoint.com/
    Not from Texas, but love Texas Style brisket Tri Tip and Ribs.
    Don't think Durham or Chapel Hill has this available, though Wake County has a foodtruck Dampf BBQ and the Chain; City BBQ
    And this sounds good but have yet to try in search of Texas BBQ style food.
    https://www.lawrencebarbecue.com/
    bootroom looks interesting. first I've heard about it.

Was looking for a good pub to go to for USMNT games...
    1200. DDMF.

bootroom looks interesting. first I've heard about it.

Was looking for a good pub to go to for USMNT games...
    It is Beer Study's expansion to add food service. I live very close to it, and have been many times. The food is respectable pub food, but nothing amazing. The beer selection, though, is top notch, and they have multiple TVs with multiple soccer games and fan presence for big games. Have not seen a USMNT game there, but suspect it would be a fun experience.

don't forget bull city burger, and pizzaria toro

Also m kokko aren't even the best wings in durham #heavenlybuffaloes
    M Kokko is great, but the best wings are at Bahn's on 9th street.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmymax View Post

I’m Native, and I approve this message. Can’t go wrong at any of these places.

Is Q-Shack still open? Haven’t been home in a hot minute.

+1 to uh_no’s Heav Buff shout-out. Those wings are the bomb.