Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Rising Water Displaces Wildlife

With the impending water rise expected along the coast and down in our eastern counties, please be mindful of wildlife displaced by the storm. This includes many dangerous species native to the area, including black bears, foxes, bobcats, coyotes, alligators, cottonmouths, coral snakes, timber rattlers, pygmy rattlers, and the endangered eastern diamondback rattlesnake. This snake is very rare in the state, found mostly in Pender, Onslow, Scotland, and Brunswick counties. The last hurricane to hit the area saw 13 of these snakes found on Camp Lejeune. A survey actually looking for these snakes found only 15 in the entire region, but the flooding conditions brought them out of hiding..lol
    But if you are in the area working on your property, be careful where you step or place your hand, and be aware of your surroundings. These displaced animals will be confused, and may be short tempered, and more likely to bite or attack. An elderly lady was killed by bears a few years back, just a few days after a hurricane clipped the area..

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    An elderly lady was killed by bears a few years back, just a few days after a hurricane clipped the area..
    As I recall, she had been feeding them. (Which was of course her last act.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

From my experience on two properties in Beaufort:
    Timber rattlers
    Timber rattlers
    Timber rattlers...

...also one coyote sighting. Bobcat tracks, fresh, seen on vacant lot on Neuse River across from Oriental.

Yes, indeed. A displaced bear in the middle of a street in New Bern yesterday:

2KI22YVYGQI6RLSPFQKDTSLNPE.jpg
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    From my experience on two properties in Beaufort:
    Timber rattlers
    Timber rattlers
    Timber rattlers...

...also one coyote sighting. Bobcat tracks, fresh, seen on vacant lot on Neuse River across from Oriental.
    Copperheads get agitated around here. Given that they like to hide under debris and storms result in debris, this can be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Copperheads get agitated around here. Given that they like to hide under debris and storms result in debris, this can be a problem.
    I've lived in NC for 30 years (minus a couple for college), and somehow had not come across a copperhead in the wild until a couple months ago (despite plenty of time hiking/camping/etc in years gone by) when me and a few random folks on a Raleigh greenway saw a BIG one while I was walking my dog. I feel like I'm finally a real North Carolinian now.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I've lived in NC for 30 years (minus a couple for college), and somehow had not come across a copperhead in the wild until a couple months ago (despite plenty of time hiking/camping/etc in years gone by) when me and a few random folks on a Raleigh greenway saw a BIG one while I was walking my dog. I feel like I'm finally a real North Carolinian now.
    I lived near North Hills with an easy entrance to the greenway - I biked the greenway probably 4-5 a week for 7 years...saw way more copperheads than I was comfortable seeing....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I lived near North Hills with an easy entrance to the greenway - I biked the greenway probably 4-5 a week for 7 years...saw way more copperheads than I was comfortable seeing...
    I'm basically down the block from Shelley Lake, guess I'll have to keep my eye out walking through there!

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    I'm basically down the block from Shelley Lake, guess I'll have to keep my eye out walking through there!
    And now I'm in Beaufort, where we'll see the creatures emerging over the next couple weeks...

Weather Channel video shows a herd of deer swimming through flooded streets in Wilmington..

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Weather Channel video shows a herd of deer swimming through flooded streets in Wilmington..
    I saw that earlier today. Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    I saw that earlier today. Very cool!
    Must have been a different herd of deer that I saw as the video I viewed was labeled Jacksonville.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Once you’ve herd one....

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Must have been a different herd of deer that I saw as the video I viewed was labeled Jacksonville.
    You may have been right. I thought it said Wilmington. Anyway, it's a scenario that will be repeated over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Once you’ve herd one...
    Oh dear, here we go again

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Oh dear, here we go again
    Buck up, it will be alright..

Buck up, it will be alright..
    Mess with the buck and you get the horns.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Mess with the buck and you get the horns.
    I refuse to fawn over this thread..

I refuse to fawn over this thread..
    Feel like I’m blinded by the ‘headlines’ of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Feel like I’m blinded by the ‘headlines’ of this thread.
    They can cure that now, if one has the doe..