My annual September 11th post - on its 17th anniversary

My annual September 11th post... apologies for the repeat, but this date cannot be forgotten...it is as indelibly etched on the U.S. psyche as is December 7th...and it is just as meaningful to me as in the past...even as it has become merely "history" to some to learn about, like WW II or any other historical event. .

-----

We were in the WTC until the first attack in February 1993. (My office was on the 100th floor, facing the Lady of the Harbor. I remember the walk down in the dark and smoke). We then moved temporarily to our midtown offices on B’way and 50th Street. Thank goodness, my managing partner decided NOT to move back to the WTC – a gutsy decision based on client and political pressures, but a wise one in retrospect and one that considered the employees of the firm. We moved across West Street to the World Financial Center (now "Brookfield Plaza").

On September 11th, I was in London for a series of meetings. Someone came back down to the conference room and said that a plane went into the Trade Center...and had to make the point that she was not kidding, based on our reactions. We spent the next day trying to reach our families, crying and watching CNN. My wife was on the BQE (for those o/s of NY, that’s the Brooklyn Queens Expressway) heading to work and saw the planes hit. My son was in his senior year at Duke.

I headed off to Zurich for another meeting, since I couldn’t get back home anyhow. I ended up being able to get back to the States on Saturday, but with the “lottery” of air availability, flew into Pittsburgh. Luckily my travel service was able to get me a rental car at Pittsburgh, and I started the long ride back to Queens. Stopped in PA for the night, eyes almost closed from fatigue and emotion. On Sunday morning, I crossed the Verrazano Narrows Bridge from Staten Island to Brooklyn and saw the smoke rising from what was the WTC complex. Tears again…pulled off the road until I composed myself.

This is NOT about me, but my life has not been the same since – professionally or personally. My wife (an atty by profession) is a volunteer with the cops of the NYPD, and has embedded herself even more into that group of heroes to help any way she can. I went on an intellectual journey, and went back to school at NYU at the age of 53 for a masters in int’l relations. (We suddenly learned that something was out there...and I had so much to learn on the subject.) My son decided that he was “coming home”…he graduated Duke in 2002 and went to law school in NYC. The magnet was there. What got to him was some non-NYer’s moronic comment in a class shortly after the attacks – something to the effect of “why is everyone so upset? They were only buildings!”

My office looked RIGHT out on the site, so I saw the clean-up and the rise of the new structures and development of the memorial on an almost daily basis. It hit me each and every day what was there, but thankfully, also what has now risen from those (literal) ashes. (We have since moved to 30 Rock and I have left the firm due to mandatory retirement requirements.) I will again watch the ceremonies, with tears in my eyes.

God bless the victims, the first responders, and those who we have lost since that day. God bless those who protect us here and abroad...and never forget that we must remain vigilant - that this remains an evil world with those dedicated to the destruction of the U.S. and our allies.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    My annual September 11th post... apologies for the repeat, but this date cannot be forgotten...it is as indelibly etched on the U.S. psyche as is December 7th...and it is just as meaningful to me as in the past...even as it has become merely "history" to some to learn about, like WW II or any other historical event. .

-----

We were in the WTC until the first attack in February 1993. (My office was on the 100th floor, facing the Lady of the Harbor. I remember the walk down in the dark and smoke). We then moved temporarily to our midtown offices on B’way and 50th Street. Thank goodness, my managing partner decided NOT to move back to the WTC – a gutsy decision based on client and political pressures, but a wise one in retrospect and one that considered the employees of the firm. We moved across West Street to the World Financial Center (now "Brookfield Plaza").

On September 11th, I was in London for a series of meetings. Someone came back down to the conference room and said that a plane went into the Trade Center...and had to make the point that she was not kidding, based on our reactions. We spent the next day trying to reach our families, crying and watching CNN. My wife was on the BQE (for those o/s of NY, that’s the Brooklyn Queens Expressway) heading to work and saw the planes hit. My son was in his senior year at Duke.

I headed off to Zurich for another meeting, since I couldn’t get back home anyhow. I ended up being able to get back to the States on Saturday, but with the “lottery” of air availability, flew into Pittsburgh. Luckily my travel service was able to get me a rental car at Pittsburgh, and I started the long ride back to Queens. Stopped in PA for the night, eyes almost closed from fatigue and emotion. On Sunday morning, I crossed the Verrazano Narrows Bridge from Staten Island to Brooklyn and saw the smoke rising from what was the WTC complex. Tears again…pulled off the road until I composed myself.

This is NOT about me, but my life has not been the same since – professionally or personally. My wife (an atty by profession) is a volunteer with the cops of the NYPD, and has embedded herself even more into that group of heroes to help any way she can. I went on an intellectual journey, and went back to school at NYU at the age of 53 for a masters in int’l relations. (We suddenly learned that something was out there...and I had so much to learn on the subject.) My son decided that he was “coming home”…he graduated Duke in 2002 and went to law school in NYC. The magnet was there. What got to him was some non-NYer’s moronic comment in a class shortly after the attacks – something to the effect of “why is everyone so upset? They were only buildings!”

My office looked RIGHT out on the site, so I saw the clean-up and the rise of the new structures and development of the memorial on an almost daily basis. It hit me each and every day what was there, but thankfully, also what has now risen from those (literal) ashes. (We have since moved to 30 Rock and I have left the firm due to mandatory retirement requirements.) I will again watch the ceremonies, with tears in my eyes.

God bless the victims, the first responders, and those who we have lost since that day. God bless those who protect us here and abroad...and never forget that we must remain vigilant - that this remains an evil world with those dedicated to the destruction of the U.S. and our allies.
    I must spread some comments around....

Thank you for this. I was born and raised in NC, never traveled very much, and never been to New York city other than passing through the airport on the way to somewhere else. So believe me when I say that the moron that said they were just buildings doesn't hold the same perspective as the majority of us, but I'm sure you probably already know that. On that day, and many days after, we were all New Yorkers, and more importantly, we were proud Americans. I have many many friends that volunteered their time, money, and equipment to help with the recovery effort. Many of whom had never step foot in the state of New York.

I worry that as the years go by, the severity and importance of that day will lose its power. Those of us that were alive will never forget, but much like Pearl Harbor, we have to make sure the next generations don't forget either.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I must spread some comments around...

Thank you for this. I was born and raised in NC, never traveled very much, and never been to New York city other than passing through the airport on the way to somewhere else. So believe me when I say that the moron that said they were just buildings doesn't hold the same perspective as the majority of us, but I'm sure you probably already know that. On that day, and many days after, we were all New Yorkers, and more importantly, we were proud Americans. I have many many friends that volunteered their time, money, and equipment to help with the recovery effort. Many of whom had never step foot in the state of New York.

I worry that as the years go by, the severity and importance of that day will lose its power. Those of us that were alive will never forget, but much like Pearl Harbor, we have to make sure the next generations don't forget either.
    Completely agree. I am a professor now (accountancy), but to my students, September 11th is "just" part of history, shaping subsequent policies and actions - much like WWII to my generation, where my dad served in the Pacific theater. (I am 66.)

And, yes, I know that was one person. I am an alum, as is my son (as noted in the essay)...and I work with a number of NC'ers, including corporations in CH and Cary. Like most things in life, one can't judge all by one or some.

another stark reminder is the high number of people who continue to die from all the toxic crap that spewed from the wreckage...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    another stark reminder is the high number of people who continue to die from all the toxic crap that spewed from the wreckage...
    You're spot on.

I know this from personal experience. my wife is very active as a volunteer/community liaison with the NYPD. A number of her friends have suffered from the after effects - psychologically and physically.

Thank you for sharing, Duke74. Moving as always.

I traveled to PA for a family wedding. On the way there, over the Labor Day weekend, we stopped at the Flight 93 Memorial. It was moving, as I expected. (Shed a few tears - also expected.) What impressed me was the wide variety of people that were there - a large group on motorcycles, a bus from Frostburg State University, people speaking other languages, families with young children, older couples. The Tower of Voices hadn't been completed yet - it was dedicated this past weekend. The two images that stick in my mind - the 17ton boulder at the site of impact and the words at the end of the flight path walkway at the visitor's center.

"A common field one day. A field of honor forever."

Thanks for remembering this anniversary, Duke74.
    We must continue to honor those who lost their lives that day, and all those who responded and later lost their lives, their physical or mental health.

I would like to remember especially the six Duke alumni who died during the attacks: Michael Morgan Taylor '81, A. Todd Rancke '81, Christopher Todd Pitman '93, Peter Ortale '87, J. Robinson "Rob" Lenoir '84, and my friend and classmate, Frederick C. Rimmele III, M.D. '94 .

Took this picture September 9th 2001. Now this little 2nd grader is teaching 3rd grade and giving a little history lesson with this picture today.
    september_9th.jpg

-----

Thank you for your annual remembrance! Hard to believe it has been 17 years. I was watching the ceremony this morning from ground zero, with relatives of the victims reading off the names of those who died (in alphabetical order). It seemed to take forever just to get through the "C's", making you realize how many people needlessly lost their lives that day. I admit I had tears in my eyes as the spouses, brothers or sisters or the children of the victims read off their names and made a personal statement for their loved ones. The father of the boy who took my daughter to her senior prom in high school was one of the ones who lost his life at the world trade towers. Very, very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by scylla View Post
    Thanks for remembering this anniversary, Duke74.
    We must continue to honor those who lost their lives that day, and all those who responded and later lost their lives, their physical or mental health.

I would like to remember especially the six Duke alumni who died during the attacks: Michael Morgan Taylor '81, A. Todd Rancke '81, Christopher Todd Pitman '93, Peter Ortale '87, J. Robinson "Rob" Lenoir '84, and my friend and classmate, Frederick C. Rimmele III, M.D. '94 .
    Thank you for that important addition, Scylla. I meant no disrespect to our colleagues from Duke...

Best ad ... ever

Meant to post this yesterday. Ran only once if I remember correctly. <tears>

https://youtu.be/coOFrCHEfUo

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Took this picture September 9th 2001. Now this little 2nd grader is teaching 3rd grade and giving a little history lesson with this picture today.
    september_9th.jpg

wow, just wow. Thank you both.

Never saw or heard of that before. Fantastic. Thanks for sharing. <wipes tear>
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.