Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Florence

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Good to hear. Was he riding atop a large grill that was smoking meat as it floated down a raging river, with one spatula raised in defiance to the elements?
    Not quite. He sent me a photo about 2 hours ago taken from his guest room with the TV on showing the current rainfall map from various areas in eastern NC.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Weather conditions in Hampton Roads are mild with a little rain and a little wind with emphasis on the word little. I am not complaining. Good luck to those south of me in North Carolina.
    Bob Green

power at the house in cary out now...downtown raleigh just rainy and windy...still have power so far...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Good to hear. Was he riding atop a large grill that was smoking meat as it floated down a raging river, with one spatula raised in defiance to the elements?
    Great image! The pictures I saw just had a perculator on a propane tabletop grill and water in the street not over the soles of a pair of berkenstocks. But that was several hours ago.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    NO - but he was out walking around in a flooded street filming. The FB posts are all yelling at him to get inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Weather conditions in Hampton Roads are mild with a little rain and a little wind with emphasis on the word little. I am not complaining. Good luck to those south of me in North Carolina.
    Yep. We dodged this one essentially completely.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    disappointment on Weather Channel is palpable...
    If the storm is not newsworthy enough where you are, improvise.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    All good in Granville County. We didn't even get in the outer bands range until a couple of hours ago. I also just texted with CB&B. He is good for now. His street is flooded though and he is only about a half a block or so away from houses that have some level of flooding.

Rant alert! I come from a family of first responders who sacrifice for others all the time, so NOTHING irritates me more than watching those that are out trying to help those truly in need in this storm, have to go "rescue" some idiot that intentionally drove their car into high water. As soon as they get those fools out and to higher ground they should cuff them and let them sit in the city/county jail until the storm is gone and roads are dry again. They obviously cannot be trusted to not repeat the behavior, and the first responders have real victims to assist! It is even worse when the driver is just out riding around to "check things out", but unless someone in the car is in dire need of medical assistance, or trying to escape danger or something, there is zero reason/excuse to drive into the water.

They showed a guy today that tried to drive a Dodge Charger through a flooded road. Idiot. Once the water reached the Air Intake it was game over. He had to be "rescued" of course, and hours later they showed his car still sitting there in the road. Hopefully the towing bill will be very large and that won't compare to the mechanic's bill to get all that water out of the intake and fuel system.

I'm sorry but I just have zero sympathy for the people that do this.

Is Crystal Coast cut off from Raleigh Durham?

I saw a photo of the Highway 70 bridge in New Bern...east bound...lost a lane to the storm. I wonder if any east bound traffic will be able to go. For those of you out of the area, this is the way Raleigh Durham connects to Beaufort, Morehead, Atlantic Beach, etc. Depending on Highway 58 from Kinston to Emerald Isle/Swansboro area...and then 24 back north...a major coastal area may be isolated from its major population feeder area. For that matter, Kinston may get totally flooded.

The wind died down, but the storm is still there, still raining hard...NC's total damage may be astronomical yet. The economic impact of isolating RDU from the Crystal Coast would be huge, even at this time of year.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I saw a photo of the Highway 70 bridge in New Bern...east bound...lost a lane to the storm. I wonder if any east bound traffic will be able to go. For those of you out of the area, this is the way Raleigh Durham connects to Beaufort, Morehead, Atlantic Beach, etc. Depending on Highway 58 from Kinston to Emerald Isle/Swansboro area...and then 24 back north...a major coastal area may be isolated from its major population feeder area. For that matter, Kinston may get totally flooded.

The wind died down, but the storm is still there, still raining hard...NC's total damage may be astronomical yet. The economic impact of isolating RDU from the Crystal Coast would be huge, even at this time of year.
    The big bridge on US 70 appears to be open, but US 70 is closed just west of New Bern due to flooding. Most of the major roads in New Bern, including US 17 and NC 55 are closed.

All bridges to barrier islands were closed on Thursday morning. Some on the Outer Banks may reopen tomorrow, but I understand NC 12 was dealing with Overcash.

Go to tims.ncdot.gov/tims for the latest road conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The big bridge on US 70 appears to be open, but US 70 is closed just west of New Bern due to flooding. Most of the major roads in New Bern, including US 17 and NC 55 are closed.

All bridges to barrier islands were closed on Thursday morning. Some on the Outer Banks may reopen tomorrow, but I understand NC 12 was dealing with Overcash..
    I hope they can keep at least one east bound lane open on the bridge...or maybe the damage is isolated to just one small area. Another complication for us, and others around us, is our location on the ICW very near the 101 bridge. 101 from Havelock to the ICW is a mess, and also from the ICW down into the town of Beaufort too. Not sure when we can get back in, but it's nerve racking not to be able to see your own property and house.

Just a couple of notes on the cover story about the hurricane. First, the fat lady ain't singing, yet. Here in Durham, we are still in for a lot of rain and wind gusts that can still bring down trees. Folks are letting their guards down, and that is not good. Second, New Bern is on the Neuse River and Trent River, not the Cape Fear River. Cape Fear affects the sandhills, like Fayetteville, and Wilmington. New Bern is the second oldest town in NC after Bath. It breaks my heart to think what is happening there. Also, Oriental, which is right near where I went to summer camp, got over 20 inches of rain just through yesterday evening. That also breaks my heart. I love our NC coast, and we are resilient. Let's make plans to visit these places when they are back up and running. They will need our tourist dollars.

The Weather Channel issued a statement to explain that video. It is one of the lamest excuses ever!

“It’s important to note that the two individuals in the background are walking on concrete, and Mike Seidel is trying to maintain his footing on wet grass, after reporting on-air until 1:00 a.m. ET this morning and is undoubtedly exhausted.”
    -Jason "this storm is a rain and storm surge event, not a wind event, so Seidel's over-acting is really pointless" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    New Bern is the second oldest town in NC after Bath. It breaks my heart to think what is happening there. Also, Oriental, which is right near where I went to summer camp, got over 20 inches of rain just through yesterday evening..
    I'm betting that camp - and I'm pretty sure when I worked at the same camp I spent numerous nights off at the Oriental Marina bar - is a mess today too.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I hope they can keep at least one east bound lane open on the bridge...or maybe the damage is isolated to just one small area. Another complication for us, and others around us, is our location on the ICW very near the 101 bridge. 101 from Havelock to the ICW is a mess, and also from the ICW down into the town of Beaufort too. Not sure when we can get back in, but it's nerve racking not to be able to see your own property and house.
    Flooded and damaged are two different things. Although the first can certainly lead to the second. I don’t expect the big bridge in New Bern will be a problem once the water recedes, but the roads themselves may be a problem. I noticed a few weeks ago that US 70 between New Bern and Kinston had some uneven spots from previous flood events.

NC 101 is closed from Havelock to Beaufort due to flooding. It appears that US 70 from Morehead City to Beaufort is open, although my guess is that there’s more flooded roads in Beaufort than what’s being reported on TIMS.

I-40 is closedin Warsaw heading to Wilmington. I-40 at I-140 near Wilmington looks OK on the traffic cam.

I-95 is closed in a couple of areas between I-40 and the SC line.

Here in south Durham, it looks like a typical rain storm with some small branches and leaves on the street, no real problems. In Wake, I know my office in Garner was out of power yesterday, (near I-40 and US 70 Bus.) but no damage. A difference of about 25 miles made the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Weather Channel issued a statement to explain that video. It is one of the lamest excuses ever!

-Jason "this storm is a rain and storm surge event, not a wind event, so Seidel's over-acting is really pointless" Evans
    It's fairly obvious that the difference between Seidel and the other guys is which ones know they are on TV.

Flooded and damaged are two different things. Although the first can certainly lead to the second. I don’t expect the big bridge in New Bern will be a problem once the water recedes, but the roads themselves may be a problem. I noticed a few weeks ago that US 70 between New Bern and Kinston had some uneven spots from previous flood events.

The bridge in New Bern suffered a partial collapse of one east bound lane. It would force closure of one lane for part of the bridge at a minimum...the only good news (from the photo I saw) is that it wasn't a collapse that stretched for that many linear feet.

As for the bad pavement between Kinston and New Bern? That's not related to flood. That's poor workmanship and/or material on the very recent resurfacing. Some contractor should be a huge performance bond loss.

Anybody have a report on what the conditions are in Durham and Greensboro?

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Anybody have a report on what the conditions are in Durham and Greensboro?
    Durham is fine, rain storm, essentially. I’m sure if you look hard enough, you’ll find a minor problem that the media would play up as a disaster.

Durham is fine, rain storm, essentially. I’m sure if you look hard enough, you’ll find a minor problem that the media would play up as a disaster.
    Ditto W-S, so far. Guessing G’boro is similar.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."