Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Florence

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    We planned to stop by the DBR tailgate tent too.
    Where are they located?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Just a heads up for Amazon.com customers. Do not use them to purchase items in advance of a hurricane/storm. We ordered some emergency preparedness items on Sunday and again very early Monday morning, set for delivery today. Turns out they have decided not to deliver any more packages, and we didn't find out about it until 9pm tonight. So not cool, Amazon. So not cool.

Apparently they shutdown NC operations at 6p today because umm...I'm not sure why.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Just a heads up for Amazon.com customers. Do not use them to purchase items in advance of a hurricane/storm. We ordered some emergency preparedness items on Sunday and again very early Monday morning, set for delivery today. Turns out they have decided not to deliver any more packages, and we didn't find out about it until 9pm tonight. So not cool, Amazon. So not cool.

Apparently they shutdown NC operations at 6p today because umm...I'm not sure why.
    There is a valid reason for this. The same reason that all the Lowes stores in the storm's path closed up at 6PM Tuesday night. Closing allows employees that are in the path time to go home and prepare themselves, and evacuate if they choose to do so.
    I don't know if that is why Amazon shut down, but it is likely, and makes sense. There were very few local businesses open here in New Bern today. Walmart closed at 5.

Edit...also several airports are closed, so that factors in as well.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Where are they located?
    Well played .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

We had a delivery from them recently. They left it on our uncovered front porch (we also have a readily visible covered "side porch") when rain was forecast and returned to a soggy box which contained a baby shower gift for our son and his wife next month. To Amazon's credit, they're replacing it at no cost for gift or shipping.

There is a valid reason for this. The same reason that all the Lowes stores in the storm's path closed up at 6PM Tuesday night. Closing allows employees that are in the path time to go home and prepare themselves, and evacuate if they choose to do so.
    I don't know if that is why Amazon shut down, but it is likely, and makes sense. There were very few local businesses open here in New Bern today. Walmart closed at 5.

Edit...also several airports are closed, so that factors in as well.
    I'm not talking New Bern, I'm talking deliveries to Raleigh. Heck, Guildford County schools are open tomorrow, but Amazon is not. Besides, doesn't everybody else have to work? Do you think Lowe's in Greensboro closed at 6p yesterday?
    Last edited by PackMan97; 09-12-2018 at 10:48 PM.

Appears to be weakening, thank goodness. Now projected landfall as a Category 2. Not great, but just a day or two ago it was projected to hit as a Category 4. About as good of news as you could expect. Everyone be safe up there.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Appears to be weakening, thank goodness. Now projected landfall as a Category 2. Not great, but just a day or two ago it was projected to hit as a Category 4. About as good of news as you could expect. Everyone be safe up there.
    disappointment on Weather Channel is palpable...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    disappointment on Weather Channel is palpable...
    Lol. So true, unfortunately.

So it looks like it isn't going to be the storm of the century of the decade. It will just be the storm of the century of the year?

How many people does TWC have deployed to stand out in the hurricane to tell us not to stand out in the hurricane?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    So it looks like it isn't going to be the storm of the century of the decade. It will just be the storm of the century of the year?

How many people does TWC have deployed to stand out in the hurricane to tell us not to stand out in the hurricane?
    Too many doom sayers. Is this why patience is a virtue?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Where are they located?
    I meant you, actually. So not the DBR tent - what do you call yourselves?

A cousin who lives on West Campus just told me that UNC's entire athletic department showed up at Duke this morning.
    Apparently they were told to seek shelter in classrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by fan345678 View Post
    A cousin who lives on West Campus just told me that UNC's entire athletic department showed up at Duke this morning.
    I'm surprised they knew what one was.

Quote Originally Posted by fan345678 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    I'm surprised they knew what one was.
    Truth be told, the athletes didn't show up but their tutors marked them as "present."

just curious...was Greg Fischel in any way connected to the prediction that this was going to be the "STORM OF THE CENTURY"???

asking for 300,000 friends...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    just curious...was Greg Fischel in any way connected to the prediction that this was going to be the "STORM OF THE CENTURY"???
    It always is until is isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    The problem with this storm is the potential stall...a Cat 2 for many many hours might be worse than a rapidly moving 3 or 4...along with Biblical rainfalls. And of course the storm surge is not going to ramp down necessarily in conjunction with the reduction in category.

But yeah, things look better than they did.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post

asking for 300,000 friends...
    He must change pants every thirty minutes

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The problem with this storm is the potential stall...a Cat 2 for many many hours might be worse than a rapidly moving 3 or 4...along with Biblical rainfalls. And of course the storm surge is not going to ramp down necessarily in conjunction with the reduction in category.

But yeah, things look better than they did.
    Yes it is looking now like the biggest threat is from the potential rainfall. One thing I found this morning that is odd is if you go to wunderground.com and look at the wundermap windstream feature. Last night, this continued to show the usual circular storm pattern, but today it looks completely different. Instead of an eye feature, it looks like a long weatherfront with wind coming from each side towards a line.