Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Florence

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    School alrwt cancelled in my county and surrounding counties. This storm is starting to feel eerily like Fran. I was in high school at the time and the eye passed over my home town. Winds were recorded at 110mph not far from my house. We got lucky with Fran because it weakened just before land fall but still was the most devestation wind damage I've ever see from a hurricane.

Heres hoping Florence turns her nose up at NC and turns north suddenly.
    Fran was still a hurricane when it went over my house in Durham. I remember the winds, then the calm, then the winds from the other direction (although it had significantly weakened by then.)

Expect a mandatory evacuation of New Hanover County (Wilmington) and Brunswick County being announced later tonight. Don't know about Carteret County yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Fran was still a hurricane when it went over my house in Durham. I remember the winds, then the calm, then the winds from the other direction (although it had significantly weakened by then.)

Expect a mandatory evacuation of New Hanover County (Wilmington) and Brunswick County being announced later tonight. Don't know about Carteret County yet.
    Yes! That was the only time I've experienced the true eye of a hurricane. I remember the roof sounding like it would come off at any second, and that feeling went on for hours. Then, it suddenly stopped. I remember going outside and it wasn't raining, not even a breeze blowing. The weatherman came back on the radio and started listing the areas that the eye was over and they mentioned my small home town by name. They then told us not to relax because the worst was yet to come in our area because the worst part of the storm was on the south west(I think, couldn't been southeast side) and that we would have two more hours more intense than what we had already experienced. Then, just like you said, the wind shifted in the opposite direction and it was hell on earth again.

When we woke up the next day, there was nothing but trees intertwined with downed power lines laying across the road in both directions as far as the eye could see. We had several oak trees that were almost 100 years old on our farm that had survived many hurricanes, including Hazel, that finally met their match in Fran. We sawed up and hauled away trees for two straight days in order to make a path out to HWY 258 S from our road. We didn't have power for over a week. We grilled out for breakfast lunch and dinner during that time and took cold showers at night which were a blessing because it was so hot.

I remember a rumor going around that the north side of Kinston had partially restored power and that the movie theater would be opening that night for business. Two car loads of my friends and I loaded up and made the almost 1.5 hour trip(usually took about 20 minutes), through flooded downtown streets and miles out of the way because roads were still blocked off from wash outs. When we walked in and felt AC for the first time in weeks, it was heaven. And to this day, that large ice cold coke and bag of pop corn is still the best thing I have ever tasted.

We watched Bulletproof with Adam Sandler and one of the Wayans. I still can never see that movie on TV without thinking about hurricane Fran.

We have some similar memories. Fran left us without power for 7 days. Hoping for a better outcome with Florence.

One of the interesting recollections is with Fran we didn’t have cellphones, and internet was dialup.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    We have some similar memories. Fran left us without power for 7 days. Hoping for a better outcome with Florence.

One of the interesting recollections is with Fran we didn’t have cellphones, and internet was dialup.
    Going to be different challenges this time. Cellphone and internet network will likely be damaged as well, though more easily repairable to some degree.

Good to have at least one phone that doesn't need power to operate in case the landline still works, for those that still have them.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'll trade you locations.

I'm in SE Virginia, 20 miles from the ocean and 10 miles from the NC border.

By the way, what good is grilling meat tonight going to do? Inquiring minds want to know. Would you grill it and then freeze it? And then when you lose power, what? Allow it to slowly thaw in the freezer and eat it? I'm confused.
    No thanks, There are no winners in this. I am simply grilling what I have in the freezer to eat now. We will be eating well for the next few days - some well marbled inch and a half ribeyes and NY strips. Then I'll probably bbq some chicken and pork chops. Just eating it ahead of and during the storm so if I lose power I don't miss out. Yeah, I need a generator.

I don't know that people understand the significance and just how rare it is to have a landfalling cat 4 hurricane. In all of recorded history there have only been 3 to hit either of the Carolinas, Hazel, Gracie and Hugo. A Cat 4 is not just a little worse than a 3, it's exponentially worse. Couple that with this storms forecast to stall and dump rain after landfall and we may have a storm we will be talking about for decades.

If you are on the coast anywhere near the projected path please evacuate. Don't chance it. And even if you are a ways inland please pay attention and have a plan to get out if needed. I have relatives that live an hour inland from Charleston and they had sustained winds of 110 when Hugo came through. A Cat 4 is no joke.

Everyone take care.
    Last edited by DUKIECB; 09-10-2018 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Thanks to the Fuquay-Varina Police Department for this great Facebook post:

41456120_1933045390333548_8329664968341323776_n.jpg

Yep, Fran hit Wilmington as a solid 3 and then took I 40 up to Raleigh Durham where it was still a Cat 1 hurricane...where the rain soaked area of the previous 60 days saw many historic oaks uprooted and laying across homes and roads and power lines. Kind of how Hugo hit Charleston then ended up in Charlotte still as a hurricane.

Some of the Florence prediction models have it coming ashore in similar fashion to Fran...although it looks like the 11 pm ticked it slightly back north on the NHC cone...taking dead aim it looks like at Emerald Isle or thereabouts.

If ground zero ends up as Emerald Isle or Morehead or Cape Lookout - and it comes ashore as a 4 - that is a life changing storm with just the wind damage, let alone the rain and flooding to follow. We're bugging out of our Beaufort house today. Of course, we're going to Raleigh, where we will still perhaps get a Cat 1 storm.

Thanks to the Fuquay-Varina Police Department for this great Facebook post:

41456120_1933045390333548_8329664968341323776_n.jpg
    I found a funny...

UNCW cancelled classes starting tonight.

ECU cancelled classes starting Tuesday night.

NC State cancelled classes starting Wednesday night.

UNC cancelled classes starting in 1991.

https://twitter.com/juandorozco90/st...366565379?s=03

can not sporkz Juan enough for that one....specTACular...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

The new NHC projection cone is out... post-landfall, this one has a south/westward shift vs the last one with the eye heading for Fayetteville and the Uwharries.

I know it's too late now to do major planning before the storm, but as one who lives in an area where we lose power for five days at a time rather frequently (last October we lost about 150 seventy foot pine trees, several on the house, dozens across the driveway, no power for five days) I strongly recommend looking into getting a decent quality portable generator (roughly a thousand bucks) AND have a genuine electrician hook it up properly to the grid (maybe $2k) so you don't fry the line crews when they restore power.

We've had our system for 10-12 years and it's a life saver...it has enough power to run our furnace (nice for when the power is out at ten degrees below zero), fridge, lights, water pump (hot showers!) and some other stuff...

You can go whole hog and get a whole house, automatic turn-on generator, but that costs much closer to $10k when you add in everything required, e.g. big propane tank, bigger generator, etc.

It's a genuine comfort not to be worrying about freezing your home's pipes, or having all your food rot in the fridge...just hunker down til juice is back on.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ...I strongly recommend looking into getting a decent quality portable generator (roughly a thousand bucks) AND have a genuine electrician hook it up properly to the grid (maybe $2k) so you don't fry the line crews when they restore power...
    Husband-of-weezie would wonder where's the fun in that when he so thinks he's Mr. Electric. We've danced around buying a generator for years but he tends to think everything is too expensive. With the exception of me, who he rightly believes has added real value to his life.

But you sound right on with the big old house generator. I'll start packing to head up your way for a nice long visit if the wind starts picking up here.

PS Duke just cancelled classes too. Hurricane Party! Although those days are probably long gone.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Husband-of-weezie would wonder where's the fun in that when he so thinks he's Mr. Electric. We've danced around buying a generator for years but he tends to think everything is too expensive. With the exception of me, who he rightly believes has added real value to his life.

But you sound right on with the big old house generator. I'll start packing to head up your way for a nice long visit if the wind starts picking up here.

PS Duke just cancelled classes too. Hurricane Party! Although those days are probably long gone.
    we have plenty of room, just fly to BTV and you're home.
    The $3,000 we invested in our generator has paid for itself many times over. Frozen pipes would cost us thousands, spoiled food in the fridge would be ugly, and my wife without a hot shower each day
    is simply something I do not wish to confront.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Husband-of-weezie . . . tends to think everything is too expensive. With the exception of me, who he rightly believes has added real value to his life.
    Luckily for me, MrsPK is always kind enough to remind me when I don't value her sufficiently. Pretty handy.

Classes canceled for Florence

ECU canceled classes today, NC State has canceled classes tomorrow, Duke has canceled classes Thursday, and UNC canceled them in 1991

Quote Originally Posted by plimnko View Post
    ECU canceled classes today, NC State has canceled classes tomorrow, Duke has canceled classes Thursday, and UNC canceled them in 1991
    Copyright infringement

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...Florence/page3

Technically wouldn't it have been 1989? which was the earliest proven case of academic malfeasance?

Finally some good news for the CHeat football team, they won’t be able to absorb another humiliating loss this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Finally some good news for the CHeat football team, they won’t be able to absorb another humiliating loss this weekend.
    True, they will just have to beat themselves.