Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Florence

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Greg Fischel is the one that said last week something like, historical data shows that there is no chance that this will hit us. I paraphrased, but that's basically what he said. He is eating a big fat crow right now.
    He was just stating a fact. The Weather Channel said the exact same thing. No storm following the same path off the African Coast has ever made landfall in the US. If Florence does hit us it will in fact be the first one ever from that path.

Rainfall forecast

Rainfall forecast:
    u2evdsbdnel11.jpg

Prayers from Kansas for all in the path. I'll feed you if you evacuate this far.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    On day three of storm prep here in New Bern. Wednesday, I am making an art run, delivering work to my locals as far as Raleigh since I would feel much better with their pieces in their hands than taking a chance with it at the gallery. I'm also picking up my coolers from Wake Forest. I leave them with my tailgate partner since there is no sense in having them at home when I use them there more, right? D'oh!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Here’s hoping Florence is kinder than past F hurricanes have been to NC.

Found water (yea!) and Amazon to the rescue on batteries, emergency radio and solar powered lanterns to arrive by Wednesday.

I will happily waste some money in the vain hope the storm abates.

Never got around to the natural gas generator for the house.

I have found that if I carry a big umbrella the odds of rain decrease dramatically. Unfortunately, for umbrella mojo to work with this storm you would need an umbrella about 100 miles in diameter.

Here's hoping for a better than expected turn of events.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Here’s hoping Florence is kinder than past F hurricanes have been to NC.

Found water (yea!) and Amazon to the rescue on batteries, emergency radio and solar powered lanterns to arrive by Wednesday.

I will happily waste some money in the vain hope the storm abates.

Never got around to the natural gas generator for the house.
    Get yourself a 50 gallon rain barrel and a lifestraw and never run out of water after a hurricane again No, seriously!

We also have a hand crank emergency radio/phone charger and a solar powered phone charger on the way thanks to Amazon. We really need to get a solar farm up on our property but just can't pull the trigger on a $30-40k installation + battery storage to get us off the grid.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    We made our first visit to Beaufort last weekend. My sister in law and brother in law recently moved their family to Newport. He surveys boats. We are worried about them, yesterday she said she thought they would be OK because they are on the inter-coastal and not the ocean. My father in law explained to her that during a hurricane the inter-coastal will become the ocean (their neighborhood is on the inter-coastal, they have a great dock for his boat, etc but it's 2 blocks from the water). Hopefully by the end of the week she comes to her senses and heads inland.

BTW, really liked Beaufort and look forward to visiting again soon. Hope you don't get hit too hard. Good luck.
    Thanks...and yes, your friend might be in trouble in Newport....if this thing hits the Emerald Isle to Morehead corridor as a full grown Cat 4 - which is one of the likely forecasts - then we're all scrod down here....

On the upside, probably a ton of insurance work for marine surveyors coming up real soon.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    This one looks daunting. All of us in the mid-Atlantic have full water tables. I am in Richmond, VA and the potential stall could result in another 12" of rain up here! I feel for all in its path which includes a very wide area. I am going to be grilling some meat this evening so I do not lose too much in the likely event of a prolonged power outage. The ground has been so wet all summer that even 40-50 mph winds will bring down many trees. The James River flood wall in downtown Richmond will get its biggest test since Gaston dumped huge amounts of rain on the area in the 90's. Prepare for the worst - hope for the best. Bend it like Beckham Florence! (Then we can worry about the two right behind her)

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Thanks...and yes, your friend might be in trouble in Newport...if this thing hits the Emerald Isle to Morehead corridor as a full grown Cat 4 - which is one of the likely forecasts - then we're all scrod down here...

On the upside, probably a ton of insurance work for marine surveyors coming up real soon.
    My brother in law in Newport posted a picture of his boat trailers and hooked up to this truck with the caption "ready to head west". Glad to hear that. Still hope you all don't get hit hard.

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Greg Fischel is having massive cranium illusions
    He thinks his dreams are coming true all at the same time
    Nah. Only if it snows 18 inches during the hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Get yourself a 50 gallon rain barrel and a lifestraw and never run out of water after a hurricane again No, seriously!
    Actually, a bathtub full of water and a lifestraw likely works even better...but if TSHTF and it's TEOTWAWKI, you'll be happy for that rain barrel

Fingers crossed that Sandbridge Beach, VA holds on...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Nah. Only if it snows 18 inches during the hurricane.
    Snowicanes can happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1804_Snow_hurricane

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I've been in blizzards in Wyoming and in Colorado where the wind hit 70+ miles per hour. It can make for interesting drifts - watching cars disappear in front of your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Fingers crossed that Sandbridge Beach, VA holds on...
    Me, too, because I live only about 20 miles inland from that very beach.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    This one looks daunting. All of us in the mid-Atlantic have full water tables. I am in Richmond, VA and the potential stall could result in another 12" of rain up here! I feel for all in its path which includes a very wide area. I am going to be grilling some meat this evening so I do not lose too much in the likely event of a prolonged power outage. The ground has been so wet all summer that even 40-50 mph winds will bring down many trees. The James River flood wall in downtown Richmond will get its biggest test since Gaston dumped huge amounts of rain on the area in the 90's. Prepare for the worst - hope for the best. Bend it like Beckham Florence! (Then we can worry about the two right behind her)
    I'll trade you locations.

I'm in SE Virginia, 20 miles from the ocean and 10 miles from the NC border.

By the way, what good is grilling meat tonight going to do? Inquiring minds want to know. Would you grill it and then freeze it? And then when you lose power, what? Allow it to slowly thaw in the freezer and eat it? I'm confused.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Best wishes, from landlocked Colorado, to all of you in the eye of this storm. Be safe.

School alrwt cancelled in my county and surrounding counties. This storm is starting to feel eerily like Fran. I was in high school at the time and the eye passed over my home town. Winds were recorded at 110mph not far from my house. We got lucky with Fran because it weakened just before land fall but still was the most devestation wind damage I've ever see from a hurricane.

Heres hoping Florence turns her nose up at NC and turns north suddenly.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post

Heres hoping Florence turns her nose up at NC and turns north suddenly.
    Hey! If she turns "up north" she had better turn hard!