Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Florence

Florence

Be safe, y'all...

Among others, these guys do a nice job covering weather.

Wind map

And the NHC has a Florence set of links.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Be safe, y'all...

Wind map

-jk
    I was really hoping this was a travel advice thread for Italy. Alas ...

Agree: Stay safe!
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

This is terrible timing for me...live in Beaufort, have a house I'm renovating in Raleigh...have a daughter from Portland flying into Raleigh for first time in two years....and this looks like a Fran re do...even stronger. It could screw up everything....

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Be safe, y'all...

Wind map

-jk
    My son just transferred to UNC-W to start his Jr year of higher education so we have been watching this one closely. All classes are cancelled starting at noon tomorrow and they issued the volunteer evacuation for students this afternoon. I suspect the mandatory evacuation will be issued Tuesday.
    This one has the potential to wipe out the Atlantic Beach to Emerald Isle Island. If it hits as a strong Cat 4 with 140mph winds as predicted it will do catastrophic damage to our beaches down there. Even worse, they are predicting it stalls right around the time it gets to us here in the Triangle which would cause lots of flooding. We were without power for 8 days after Fran and this one has the potential to be far worse than Fran was unless something changes...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    This is terrible timing for me...live in Beaufort, have a house I'm renovating in Raleigh...have a daughter from Portland flying into Raleigh for first time in two years...and this looks like a Fran re do...even stronger. It could screw up everything...
    Maybe time to meet in Nashville, TN.

UNCW starting evacs tomorrow. This one could cause widespread destruction even as far inland as the Winston Salem area.

It is possible that Florence heads for Florence (SC). As a resident of the more southerly Carolina I find that possibility both interesting and worrisome.

Wilmington, NC is a more likely target and I wish those in the northern territory luck.

My stomach hurts.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    The updates only get worse with each return of the hurricane hunters. Unfortunately there are not a lot of the normal factors in play that could turn it or slow it down prior to landfall which is why all the computer models are in general agreement and the center of the cone of uncertainty just isn't moving and not expected to move. The ridge of high pressure is in place, there is no wind shear in the near future and nothing to slow her down.

We can only hope it doesn't get much stronger than the predicted 140mph/150mph, and pray she doesn't come in at high tide.

Barring a miracle it looks like we are looking at another Hazel/Fran type storm come Thursday/Friday.

I'm 52 yrs old and despite my mom talking about Hazel every single hurricane season, I was young and dumb and dismissive of her "stories" until Fran came through in 96 and I ate my words. Unfortunately it was too late to apologize to her as she left us in 1993 (RIP Mom, and yes I now believe in Hurricanes impacting us here)

Here is a link to GOES satellite imagery:

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOE...OLOR&length=24

You can see all three storms: Florence, Isaac and Helene.

Satellite imagery homepage: https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/satellite.php
    Bob Green

Hazel was a real beast. My mother and a couple of her friends were talking yesterday about her. I was two when it hit, and have no memory of it. Hazel destroyed nearly every structure from Myrtle Beach to Long Beach, where only five buildings remained!
    The impact of Florence is going to be more head on, however, or so it appears at this time. Everyone just be smart, take precautions, and if you are on the coast get the heck outta there!

An interesting documentary I found on Hazel, from 2004.
    https://www.wral.com/hurricane_hazel/1129199/

Cool

Greg Fischel is having massive cranium illusions
    He thinks his dreams are coming true all at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    All weathermen become mouth breathers during storms! They get into full mode panic and ridiculousness.

Ever since hugo I fear for those in any storms path.maybe she will curve north .

Quote Originally Posted by tteettimes View Post
    Greg Fischel is the one that said last week something like, historical data shows that there is no chance that this will hit us. I paraphrased, but that's basically what he said. He is eating a big fat crow right now.

Last week I saw this coming as wee drizzle from Africa and I loaded up on bread and milk stocks...I am now richer than Bezos...now looking to buy a nice 767 to get me down to the Baylor game.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Last week I saw this coming as wee drizzle from Africa and I loaded up on bread and milk stocks...I am now richer than Bezos...now looking to buy a nice 767 to get me down to the Baylor game.
    A wise man seizes opportunity.

For those wanting to keep an eye on it, the N&O has kindly dropped their paywall.

-jk

Beaufort

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    This is terrible timing for me...live in Beaufort, have a house I'm renovating in Raleigh...have a daughter from Portland flying into Raleigh for first time in two years...and this looks like a Fran re do...even stronger. It could screw up everything...
    We made our first visit to Beaufort last weekend. My sister in law and brother in law recently moved their family to Newport. He surveys boats. We are worried about them, yesterday she said she thought they would be OK because they are on the inter-coastal and not the ocean. My father in law explained to her that during a hurricane the inter-coastal will become the ocean (their neighborhood is on the inter-coastal, they have a great dock for his boat, etc but it's 2 blocks from the water). Hopefully by the end of the week she comes to her senses and heads inland.

BTW, really liked Beaufort and look forward to visiting again soon. Hope you don't get hit too hard. Good luck.