Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 322

Thread: Florence

  1. #141
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    C'mon, y'all know I was just trying to keep it light. It's like there's no such thing as minor surgery when it's happening to you.

    I was more jibing the 'Storm of the Century' hysteria that some (not on this board, the prognosticators) were terrorizing people with. But maybe they do that to make sure people evacuate. Or maybe they do it to keep people tuned in.
    If the storm was hitting as predicted just a few days ago, it very well could have been the storm of the century. I was terrified. am trying not to relax too much b/c anything can still happen with wind and rain.

  2. #142
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I just think it’s hard to “keep it light” when the flooding is predicted to be akin to a Cat 5 hurricane hitting. People are going to lose everything, though hopefully not their lives.
    Yes, homes and small businesses will likely be destroyed...families will still be displaced as Christmas rolls around...all kinds of collateral life damage results from these things. Hopefully no loss of life.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  3. #143
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    New Bern is experiencing some major flooding. Has been windy all day. Personally, we still have power, and I am super surprised at that. It has tried hard to go out a few times. Most of my friends here are in the dark. One friend who lives on the river has evacuated to her second floor with her husband.
    We are now in the 20"-30" rain zone, so we know tonight is just the beginning of a long few days.
    Was wondering how you were doing. Map watching so far tonight shows Jacksonville to New Bern as getting the most rain so far. Wilmington itself seems to be getting lucky to this point from being on the left side of the storm.

  4. #144
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Was wondering how you were doing. Map watching so far tonight shows Jacksonville to New Bern as getting the most rain so far. Wilmington itself seems to be getting lucky to this point from being on the left side of the storm.
    New Bern's flooding is due to how the wind pushed water into the Pamlico Sound and Neuse River. The rain triggered flooding hasn't even manifest yet.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  5. #145
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Thought I would pass along that CB&B sent out an "I am safe" marker on Facebook this morning (around 8 am or so).
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  6. #146
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Power been out since about midnight last night. The kids are starting to panic. 😂

  7. #147
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Power been out since about midnight last night. The kids are starting to panic. ��
    How can life exist without television and video games?


    (Best wishes to the LHLacey family)
    1991 -- 1992 -- 2001 -- 2010 -- 2015

  8. #148
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    How can life exist without television and video games?


    (Best wishes to the LHLacey family)
    Prolly more to do with internet and air conditioning....one reason we evacuated to Raleigh. Our place is out of power, may or may not be underwater from the surge....may or may not go underwater in days when the Neuse reverses and rolls back the surge that flooded New Bern.

    In the meantime, we are high and (relatively) dry in 'the capital' (a little Mayberry lingo)...with internet, phone, AC, the ability to cook.
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  9. #149
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    How can life exist without television and video games?


    (Best wishes to the LHLacey family)
    Thanks OPK. Yes, their phones and tablets are dying, and the lack of ac is testing their resolve. 😂

    Gonna let them stress out a little more before I introduce them to the generator. 😋

  10. #150
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    North of Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Prolly more to do with internet and air conditioning...one reason we evacuated to Raleigh. Our place is out of power, may or may not be underwater from the surge...may or may not go underwater in days when the Neuse reverses and rolls back the surge that flooded New Bern.

    In the meantime, we are high and (relatively) dry in 'the capital' (a little Mayberry lingo)...with internet, phone, AC, the ability to cook.
    So you're hanging out with Bill Walton? Hope he brought the good stuff...

    Glad to hear you are safe and sound. Good luck with your home and I hope everyone else is also safe and unharmed.

  11. #151
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Thanks OPK. Yes, their phones and tablets are dying, and the lack of ac is testing their resolve. 😂

    Gonna let them stress out a little more before I introduce them to the generator. 😋
    You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  12. #152
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    slight wind, some rain in cary nc....let's see if that changes...
    "Either they're going down, or we are! Kirk out!"

  13. #153
    Lots of weather stations that were the first ones to show the massive rain yesterday are no longer online, presumably because of power loss.
    This one near Jacksonville is still up as of this point and is reporting ~35" of rain already.

    Edge of the eye went by it ~5-6AM with a minimum pressure of 29.1in/985mb

  14. #154
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Raleigh report:

    Winds: 20-25 MPH with gusts to 40-45 (guessing)
    Rain: started about 30 minutes ago as steady and light to moderate; Mrs. dd and I did complete a 90 minute walk from about 0800-0930 with a few drops falling.
    Ground/yards/streets: few leaves, small branches and isolated large dead limbs have fallen
    Temp: 77
    Humidity: 91% (LOL; it's raining)
    Dew point: 74
    Hourly forecast: 80-100% chance of rain for the next 40 days: temps in the low to mid 70s
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  15. #155
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Report from southern Durham County (I just called my dad) - it's not raining although it is windy. They still have power.

  16. #156
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Report from southern Durham County (I just called my dad) - it's not raining although it is windy. They still have power.
    Yeah, there will be some power outages here from downed trees/limbs/lines from the wind, but we're basically just getting a bad storm in the triangle, not any kind of major hurricane event.

  17. #157
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Raleigh report:

    Hourly forecast: 80-100% chance of rain for the next 40 days: temps in the low to mid 70s
    Next 40 days? Where's Noah?


    ALSO: yeah, Raleigh just kind of nasty weather...
    Don't waste your time on House of Cards S6!
    -We found out Frank was critical to making anyone else in the show interesting...not a surprise...

  18. #158
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Report from southern Durham County (I just called my dad) - it's not raining although it is windy. They still have power.
    I'm in North Durham. A few gusts and not much rain. Our local power company is Piedmont Electric Coop: they have an outage viewer. Not many people out in their area.

    Howard

  19. #159
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thought I would pass along that CB&B sent out an "I am safe" marker on Facebook this morning (around 8 am or so).
    Good to hear. Was he riding atop a large grill that was smoking meat as it floated down a raging river, with one spatula raised in defiance to the elements?

  20. #160
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem

    Triad

    Nothing much to report so far farther inland. Not surprisingly, all we have as of now are gray skies, humid air, and more wind than normal. But this thing is just getting started, unfortunately.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Similar Threads

  1. Fayetteville NC and Florence SC advice please...
    By bjornolf in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 01:09 PM
  2. Florence, the rest of Italy, and Europe
    By pacificrounder in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 09-05-2007, 11:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •