Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Florence

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    C'mon, y'all know I was just trying to keep it light. It's like there's no such thing as minor surgery when it's happening to you.

I was more jibing the 'Storm of the Century' hysteria that some (not on this board, the prognosticators) were terrorizing people with. But maybe they do that to make sure people evacuate. Or maybe they do it to keep people tuned in.
    If the storm was hitting as predicted just a few days ago, it very well could have been the storm of the century. I was terrified. am trying not to relax too much b/c anything can still happen with wind and rain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I just think it’s hard to “keep it light” when the flooding is predicted to be akin to a Cat 5 hurricane hitting. People are going to lose everything, though hopefully not their lives.
    Yes, homes and small businesses will likely be destroyed...families will still be displaced as Christmas rolls around...all kinds of collateral life damage results from these things. Hopefully no loss of life.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    New Bern is experiencing some major flooding. Has been windy all day. Personally, we still have power, and I am super surprised at that. It has tried hard to go out a few times. Most of my friends here are in the dark. One friend who lives on the river has evacuated to her second floor with her husband.
    We are now in the 20"-30" rain zone, so we know tonight is just the beginning of a long few days.
    Was wondering how you were doing. Map watching so far tonight shows Jacksonville to New Bern as getting the most rain so far. Wilmington itself seems to be getting lucky to this point from being on the left side of the storm.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Was wondering how you were doing. Map watching so far tonight shows Jacksonville to New Bern as getting the most rain so far. Wilmington itself seems to be getting lucky to this point from being on the left side of the storm.
    New Bern's flooding is due to how the wind pushed water into the Pamlico Sound and Neuse River. The rain triggered flooding hasn't even manifest yet.

Thought I would pass along that CB&B sent out an "I am safe" marker on Facebook this morning (around 8 am or so).

Power been out since about midnight last night. The kids are starting to panic. 😂

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Power been out since about midnight last night. The kids are starting to panic. ��
    How can life exist without television and video games?

(Best wishes to the LHLacey family)

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Prolly more to do with internet and air conditioning....one reason we evacuated to Raleigh. Our place is out of power, may or may not be underwater from the surge....may or may not go underwater in days when the Neuse reverses and rolls back the surge that flooded New Bern.

In the meantime, we are high and (relatively) dry in 'the capital' (a little Mayberry lingo)...with internet, phone, AC, the ability to cook.

Thanks OPK. Yes, their phones and tablets are dying, and the lack of ac is testing their resolve. 😂

Gonna let them stress out a little more before I introduce them to the generator. 😋

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Prolly more to do with internet and air conditioning...one reason we evacuated to Raleigh. Our place is out of power, may or may not be underwater from the surge...may or may not go underwater in days when the Neuse reverses and rolls back the surge that flooded New Bern.

In the meantime, we are high and (relatively) dry in 'the capital' (a little Mayberry lingo)...with internet, phone, AC, the ability to cook.
    So you're hanging out with Bill Walton? Hope he brought the good stuff...

Glad to hear you are safe and sound. Good luck with your home and I hope everyone else is also safe and unharmed.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Thanks OPK. Yes, their phones and tablets are dying, and the lack of ac is testing their resolve. 😂

Gonna let them stress out a little more before I introduce them to the generator. 😋
    You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

slight wind, some rain in cary nc....let's see if that changes...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Lots of weather stations that were the first ones to show the massive rain yesterday are no longer online, presumably because of power loss.
    This one near Jacksonville is still up as of this point and is reporting ~35" of rain already.

Edge of the eye went by it ~5-6AM with a minimum pressure of 29.1in/985mb

Raleigh report:

Winds: 20-25 MPH with gusts to 40-45 (guessing)
    Rain: started about 30 minutes ago as steady and light to moderate; Mrs. dd and I did complete a 90 minute walk from about 0800-0930 with a few drops falling.
    Ground/yards/streets: few leaves, small branches and isolated large dead limbs have fallen
    Temp: 77
    Humidity: 91% (LOL; it's raining)
    Dew point: 74
    Hourly forecast: 80-100% chance of rain for the next 40 days: temps in the low to mid 70s
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Report from southern Durham County (I just called my dad) - it's not raining although it is windy. They still have power.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Report from southern Durham County (I just called my dad) - it's not raining although it is windy. They still have power.
    Yeah, there will be some power outages here from downed trees/limbs/lines from the wind, but we're basically just getting a bad storm in the triangle, not any kind of major hurricane event.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Raleigh report:

Hourly forecast: 80-100% chance of rain for the next 40 days: temps in the low to mid 70s
    Next 40 days? Where's Noah?

ALSO: yeah, Raleigh just kind of nasty weather...

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    I'm in North Durham. A few gusts and not much rain. Our local power company is Piedmont Electric Coop: they have an outage viewer. Not many people out in their area.

Howard

Thought I would pass along that CB&B sent out an "I am safe" marker on Facebook this morning (around 8 am or so).
    Good to hear. Was he riding atop a large grill that was smoking meat as it floated down a raging river, with one spatula raised in defiance to the elements?

Triad

Nothing much to report so far farther inland. Not surprisingly, all we have as of now are gray skies, humid air, and more wind than normal. But this thing is just getting started, unfortunately.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."