Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

injury update

From Duke

Duke cornerback Mark Gilbert and quarterback Daniel Jones each underwent surgery on Sunday after suffering injuries in the Blue Devils’ 21-7 win at Northwestern.

Gilbert had left hip surgery performed by Dr. Steven Olson and Dr. Annunziato Amendola and will miss the remainder of the 2018 season. The procedure on Jones, who will be out of action indefinitely, was executed by Amendola and Dr. Jonathan Riboh and addressed a fractured left clavicle.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    From Duke

Duke cornerback Mark Gilbert and quarterback Daniel Jones each underwent surgery on Sunday after suffering injuries in the Blue Devils’ 21-7 win at Northwestern.

Gilbert had left hip surgery performed by Dr. Steven Olson and Dr. Annunziato Amendola and will miss the remainder of the 2018 season. The procedure on Jones, who will be out of action indefinitely, was executed by Amendola and Dr. Jonathan Riboh and addressed a fractured left clavicle.
    Feel bad for both players, but particularly Gilbert. His future in football is very uncertain.

Steve Wiseman’s tweet:

https://twitter.com/stevewisemannc/s...325909505?s=21

A guess, for sure, but a glimmer of hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    ...fractured left clavicle.
    According to the internet, which is never wrong, recovery from a broken clavicle can be as short as 3-4 weeks or at long as 8-10.

So, it seems the most optimistic scenario is that Jones is back for Ga Tech. It is also possible he misses the entire year, though that seems pretty unlikely. Of course, there is "recovery time" and then there is "how long to throw accurately again?" which could be longer than the internet's definition of "recovery time."

Baylor is #70 in Massey collection of computer rankings and are not the power they were a few years ago, not even close. Duke is up to #22 in the computers. We most certainly have a decent chance in this game, even without DJ. NCCentral is a game we can probably win with me at QB. Va Tech... well... let's deal with that some other time. Bottom line, I think a 4-0 start is still quite possible. Time to see which of the other QBs has what it takes.

-Jason "does Connette still have any eligibility left?" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Baylor is #65 in Jeff Sagarin's computer rankings and are not the power they were a few years ago, not even close. Duke is up to #20 in Sagarin's rankings. We most certainly have a decent chance in this game, even without DJ. NCCentral is a game we can probably win with me at QB. Va Tech... well... let's deal with that some other time. Bottom line, I think a 4-0 start is still quite possible. Time to see which of the other QBs has what it takes.
    Absolutely agree. Taking nothing for granted, obviously, but I think all of us would have taken a 4-0 or even 3-1 start to the season. Baylor will not be easy but even with Jones and Gilbert out Vegas opened (I think) as”pick-‘em.”

Baylor has a much more dynamic offense than either of our first two opponents. Not sure how their O line compares to NU, though, which was much-improved since our game in Durham yet we dominated there again. I’ve said before and will say again — Ben Albert is the best addition to this staff since Cut’s arrival with his whole gang.

Not sure what to expect from our offense, let alone who gets the snaps. But if the D plays well, we are in every game.

Oh geez, I am so sorry to read the front page here. I feel terrible for these nice young men.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Steve Wiseman’s tweet:

https://twitter.com/stevewisemannc/s...325909505?s=21

A guess, for sure, but a glimmer of hope.
    Paging Mr. Wiseman...paging Mr. Wiseman....this is exactly the kind of situation where this board NEEDS your inside info...

So why would surgery be required for a fractured collar bone, and what does that mean for length of recovery?
    Last edited by chrishoke; 09-09-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    So why would surgery be required for a fractured collar bone, and what does that mean for length of recovery?
    A hit can displace the bones fragments and surgery will align them to improve healing and function. Not all fractures of the clavicle require surgery. Not sure the effect on healing- I suspect it would lengthen it but a lot depends on the details.

Screws??? Seems like every break these days involves the use of screws to align the bones.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Screws??? Seems like every break these days involves the use of screws to align the bones.
    Or clean/fill a fragment?

Either way, I first hope for a full and fast recovery. Long-term is more important than the short-term, as much as this sucks right now. Get well, son!

Most clavicle fractures don’t need surgery. The ones that do are either way out of alignment, associated with other shoulder fractures, or open (bone protruding through the skin). Most likely in DJ’s situation is that it was too out of what is considered acceptable in terms of alignment.

Time until return doesn’t depend much on surgery vs non-/surgery; either way it depends on how quickly the bone heals. On one hand, it’s good that it’s the left shoulder throwing wise. If he could be assured of never falling or being tackled and landing in the left shoulder he could play in a couple of weeks. Four weeeks would be very optimistic, 6 more likely. It’s hard to protect the shoulder in a football player.

Most clavicle fractures are treated with a plate and screws or with a metal “nail” inserted into the center, hollow portion of the clavicle. There’s a slightly better chance that the fracture heals with surgery, at the cost of literal cost, increased risk of infection, blood loss, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    Most clavicle fractures don’t need surgery. The ones that do are either way out of alignment, associated with other shoulder fractures, or open (bone protruding through the skin). Most likely in DJ’s situation is that it was too out of what is considered acceptable in terms of alignment.

Time until return doesn’t depend much on surgery vs non-/surgery; either way it depends on how quickly the bone heals. On one hand, it’s good that it’s the left shoulder throwing wise. If he could be assured of never falling or being tackled and landing in the left shoulder he could play in a couple of weeks. Four weeeks would be very optimistic, 6 more likely. It’s hard to protect the shoulder in a football player.

Most clavicle fractures are treated with a plate and screws or with a metal “nail” inserted into the center, hollow portion of the clavicle. There’s a slightly better chance that the fracture heals with surgery, at the cost of literal cost, increased risk of infection, blood loss, etc.
    Can't spork, but thanks so much as always for your insight!

Arowe tweet:

David Cutcliffe says that @Daniel_Jones10 is already going through practice in pads after fracturing his left clavicle 10 days ago. "Our medical people are absolutely amazed at how he's doing".

Arowe tweet:

David Cutcliffe says that @Daniel_Jones10 is already going through practice in pads after fracturing his left clavicle 10 days ago. "Our medical people are absolutely amazed at how he's doing".
    Should start the VA Tech game then.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Willis Reed ain't walkin' though that tunnel any time soon.

(Is he?)

Realistically, it is difficult to see him back before GTech and even that seems early. But who knows. Hard to do the run option until the bone is 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    good to see you have not lost your sense of humor, Arnie!

Willis Reed ain't walkin' though that tunnel any time soon.

(Is he?)

Realistically, it is difficult to see him back before GTech and even that seems early. But who knows. Hard to do the run option until the bone is 100%.
    I'm looking forward to Quentin doing a Ryan Fitzpatrick impersonation, leaving Jones plenty of time to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I'm looking forward to Quentin doing a Ryan Fitzpatrick impersonation, leaving Jones plenty of time to heal.
    Let's just say, for the heck of it, Duke wins their next two with Q. Do you instantly pull a winning sub QB the very minute the starter is healthy? Or do you wait for him to struggle. I for one have never thought automatically putting the starter back in over a hot back up was smart. I've heard all the yada yada about "starter's don't lose their jobs to injuries" yada yada...but that is missing the point.

I remember years ago Maryland, back still in the ACC, had a hot shot QB that went down with pre season or early season injury. The sub came in and they won like 4,5 games in a row. The starter returned, was given the job back, and they went on a losing streak and had a disastrous season. Never got their mojo back.

On the other extreme, a hot shot starter named Drew Bledsoe got hurt late one season....and he never ever got his starting job back...and that worked out pretty well for the sub who replaced him and his franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Let's just say, for the heck of it, Duke wins their next two with Q. Do you instantly pull a winning sub QB the very minute the starter is healthy? Or do you wait for him to struggle. I for one have never thought automatically putting the starter back in over a hot back up was smart. I've heard all the yada yada about "starter's don't lose their jobs to injuries" yada yada...but that is missing the point.

I remember years ago Maryland, back still in the ACC, had a hot shot QB that went down with pre season or early season injury. The sub came in and they won like 4,5 games in a row. The starter returned, was given the job back, and they went on a losing streak and had a disastrous season. Never got their mojo back.

On the other extreme, a hot shot starter named Drew Bledsoe got hurt late one season...and he never ever got his starting job back...and that worked out pretty well for the sub who replaced him and his franchise.
    Oh, boy a QB controversy! A week ago we thought we didn't have a single proven passer, and now we fear we have two. Just kidding, but the world of fandom is tilted weird, isn't it?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013