Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I wonder how many were higher rated than DJ coming out of high school (probably most)
    Good point.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    This stinks. He was off to a great start as was our receiving corps. We looked very strong out there today and I was seeing 10 wins on the schedule, but this will be a setback for sure. How big of a setback we will have to wait and see. Supposedly, the kid from Heritage (Gunnar H) is the future after the Jones era ends. I hope we see Gunnar next week. Quentin just seems to have no confidence throwing the ball. Runs it well but we are going to ha ve to throw the ball. With the new RedShirt rules it gives Cut a chance to see if Gunnar can handle the job and perform well, or if not, he can still redshirt him if he doesn't play more than 4 games.

One good thing is after next week against Baylor, we get NC Central at home which is basically like a bye week as they just cannot compete with us.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    2 Daniel Karlin QB 6-3 220 So. Providence, R.I. (Classical)
    4 Robert Nelson QB 6-2 195 Fr. Los Gatos, Calif. (Los Gatos)
    12 Gunnar Holmberg QB 6-3 190 Fr. Wake Forest, N.C. (Heritage)
    15 Chris KatrenickHear how to pronounce Chris Katrenick QB 6-3 215 RFr. Algonquin, Ill. (Harry D. Jacobs)
    17 Daniel Jones QB 6-5 220 RJr. Charlotte, N.C. (Charlotte Latin)
    18 Quentin Harris QB 6-1 195 RJr. Wilton, Conn. (Taft School)
    Karlin and Nelson are walk-ons. Not in the picture.

I suspect the Duke coaches will decide soon on one of Holmberg or Kuh-trin-ick and work that one up to go along with Harris.

Maybe Harris will do his best Brandon Connette, circa 2013, impression and display heretofore unseen passing prowess.

But my best guess is that opportunity just knocked on Gunnar Holmberg's door.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Maybe Harris will do his best Brandon Connette, circa 2013, impression and display heretofore unseen passing prowess.

But my best guess is that opportunity just knocked on Gunnar Holmberg's door.
    Yeah, Connette's passing surprised me that year. I think the best pass all year was a dime he dropped on (I think) McCaffrey for a long gain. Can't remember the game.

Assuming an extended injury to Jones, maybe Gunnar or Ketraenik can emerge and use Harris as the change of pace guy. Duke won't have good rhythm, but perhaps they can keep the defenses guessing. Get 4 games down the road, and check Jone's health and the red shirt status of whichever frosh is given a chance....

all just speculation at this point...but that's all we can do.

Yeah, Connette's passing surprised me that year. I think the best pass all year was a dime he dropped on (I think) McCaffrey for a long gain. Can't remember the game.

Assuming an extended injury to Jones, maybe Gunnar or Ketraenik can emerge and use Harris as the change of pace guy. Duke won't have good rhythm, but perhaps they can keep the defenses guessing. Get 4 games down the road, and check Jone's health and the red shirt status of whichever frosh is given a chance...

all just speculation at this point...but that's all we can do.
    Katrenick is a redshirt freshman, so the four game rule only would apply to Gunnar.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Katrenick is a redshirt freshman, so the four game rule only would apply to Gunnar.
    Thanks for clarifying...and I checked, both guys were 3 star recruits, with Holmberg being rated just a tiny bit better prospect than Katrenik. Of course, they were both rated significantly higher than Jones was coming out of HS - FWIW.

absolutely have to have a guy who is allowed to throw the ball downfield...I can understand the conservative offense with Harris yesterday, but that has to change in coming weeks, must have a guy who
    can throw.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    absolutely have to have a guy who is allowed to throw the ball downfield...I can understand the conservative offense with Harris yesterday, but that has to change in coming weeks, must have a guy who
    can throw.
    As I may have mentioned before, I thought the offense after halftime was bone-headed and unimaginative, even while Jones was still available. I have sat through Duke trying to nurse leads before, and the results weren't pretty, such as the Navy game in Annapolis in 2010 (which Duke won by three despite blowing a four-TD lead, and the Texas A&M debacle.

This year, our defense appears to be really, really good, but two games do not a season make. We will need to conjure up some offense against Baylor.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As I may have mentioned before, I thought the offense after halftime was bone-headed and unimaginative, even while Jones was still available. I have sat through Duke trying to nurse leads before, and the results weren't pretty, such as the Navy game in Annapolis in 2010 (which Duke won by three despite blowing a four-TD lead, and the Texas A&M debacle.

This year, our defense appears to be really, really good, but two games do not a season make. We will need to conjure up some offense against Baylor.
    Very well said, and exactly right!

Thanks for clarifying...and I checked, both guys were 3 star recruits...
    That depends upon which rating service you look at. Gunnar Holmberg was a 4 star recruit per ESPN:

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/f...unnar-holmberg

And, FWIW, Harris (78) was rated higher than Katrenick (77).
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    That depends upon which rating service you look at. Gunnar Holmberg was a 4 star recruit per ESPN:

Thanks Bob...my search engine usually defaults to 24/7 when I Google "recruit Gunnar Homlberg" or what have you. But you're right, there are several services that use the 5 star system, and they don't always match up.

Really encouraging to know that Gunnar was that highly rated by ESPN.

A ... I have sat through Duke trying to nurse leads before, and the results weren't pretty, such as the Navy game in Annapolis in 2010 (which Duke won by three despite blowing a four-TD lead ...
    We'll have to agree to disagree as to whether the strategy in Annapolis was pretty. It was pretty. It was the absolute right strategy (judged not on the after-the-fact outcome (there, victory) but judged, as these things must be, on what path gave the highest probability of victory at the time of the decision making.

FWIW, I don't think it's established that he has a broken clavicle. He might though, never saw a link. I think having him back for GT is probably the most realistic hope we can have right now.

All indications is that Gilbert is done for the year. Will be interesting to see if he's healthy to go through the combine process to get a look for the NFL, he was a top couple rounds guy, maybe late first if healthy. If he can get drafted, I'd be surprised to see him back, and I wouldn't want him to. Football's too dangerous to play for free when you can play and get paid.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree as to whether the strategy in Annapolis was pretty. It was pretty. It was the absolute right strategy (judged not on the after-the-fact outcome (there, victory) but judged, as these things must be, on what path gave the highest probability of victory at the time of the decision making.
    Oh, my. Later. Even Cut said our second half strategy was wrong. And don't be too sure about p-win.

Oh, my. Later. Even Cut said our second half strategy was wrong. And don't be too sure about p-win.
    Certainly, later. And Cut can be wrong about things, and there can be reasonable disagreements as to what gives the greater probability of victory (and that is something that is never 100% knowable).

That said, based on how folks usually mis-judge such decisions (that is, after the fact), this one was a win, and based on how folks should judge such decisions (at the time made; 4 score lead), the right call, in my opinion, and in Cut's at the time as he made it, was to go conservative, as that took away Navy's only real shot at winning (which would be if we went fast/loose thereby increasing the odds of more possessions).

A True Wild Card ---BRACEY

2015 ---Scott Bracey all -state and state championship QB Benedictine HS Richmond Va

OH WELL we need a rabbit out of a hat to keep up our optimism

Quote Originally Posted by Dopeshop View Post
    2015 ---Scott Bracey all -state and state championship QB Benedictine HS Richmond Va

OH WELL we need a rabbit out of a hat to keep up our optimism
    ...how interesting. Maybe that would bring him out of his shell....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Not according to Katrenick who likens his game to Tom Brady's

DJ out “indefinitely” following surgery.

https://twitter.com/adamrowetdd/stat...858619904?s=21

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    DJ out “indefinitely” following surgery.

https://twitter.com/adamrowetdd/stat...858619904?s=21
    Does that mean he'll be back for Central?

Joke taken from twitter.

Hopefully that puts him back for GT. I still thinks that's the earliest we can hope for him.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams