Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Oh, boy a QB controversy! A week ago we thought we didn't have a single proven passer, and now we fear we have two. Just kidding, but the world of fandom is tilted weird, isn't it?
    Hey, as fans we can afford to look ahead like this...and muse about it...whereas players and coaches cannot do that. Setting DJ and Q aside for a second, because it is jumping the gun to assume Duke will be on a winning streak and rolling when DJ comes back...but I have always found it funny how some people stick to this mantra one size fits all "no one loses his job to injury" as the justification for immediately putting them back in the line up, even if their replacement has done great.

Drew Bledsoe lost his job...but not to injury...he lost his job to a QB who was winning everything by the time Drew got healthy again. And yet, the entire Brady career flies right in the face of the "can't lose your job to injury" crowd vis a vis Bledsoe.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Let's just say, for the heck of it, Duke wins their next two with Q. Do you instantly pull a winning sub QB the very minute the starter is healthy? Or do you wait for him to struggle.
    I guess it depends on how Q looks in games and in practice. I mean, if he does not appear to be as effective as DJ at throwing accurate passes and surveying the field for the best option, then who cares if he has played ok in games? Why play someone who is obviously not as good? That makes no sense to me. Cut is smart enough to figure this out with relative ease, I think.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Hey, as fans we can afford to look ahead like this...and muse about it...whereas players and coaches cannot do that. Setting DJ and Q aside for a second, because it is jumping the gun to assume Duke will be on a winning streak and rolling when DJ comes back...but I have always found it funny how some people stick to this mantra one size fits all "no one loses his job to injury" as the justification for immediately putting them back in the line up, even if their replacement has done great.

Drew Bledsoe lost his job...but not to injury...he lost his job to a QB who was winning everything by the time Drew got healthy again. And yet, the entire Brady career flies right in the face of the "can't lose your job to injury" crowd vis a vis Bledsoe.
    That actually happened to Bledsoe twice...Romo got his starting job after Bledsoe got injured in Dallas and never gave it up (for a while anyway).

Smith lost his job in San Francisco to Kapaernik (? spelling).
    Still don't know if that was a good decision, but they did make the Super Bowl.

Let's just say, for the heck of it, Duke wins their next two with Q. Do you instantly pull a winning sub QB the very minute the starter is healthy? Or do you wait for him to struggle. I for one have never thought automatically putting the starter back in over a hot back up was smart. I've heard all the yada yada about "starter's don't lose their jobs to injuries" yada yada...but that is missing the point.

I remember years ago Maryland, back still in the ACC, had a hot shot QB that went down with pre season or early season injury. The sub came in and they won like 4,5 games in a row. The starter returned, was given the job back, and they went on a losing streak and had a disastrous season. Never got their mojo back.

On the other extreme, a hot shot starter named Drew Bledsoe got hurt late one season...and he never ever got his starting job back...and that worked out pretty well for the sub who replaced him and his franchise.
    We'd have to ask Kirby Smart to know for sure but I don't think he regrets his decision last year to relegate Jacob Eason to mop up duty after he returned from his knee injury.

I am sure that Cut will play whoever he feels gives Duke the best chance to win. And I am comfortable with him making that decision.

I am obviously giddy about how well Harris played against Baylor. But it was one game when there was no tape on him running this offense. He will really have to step it up in upcoming games against teams better than Baylor.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    That actually happened to Bledsoe twice...Romo got his starting job after Bledsoe got injured in Dallas and never gave it up (for a while anyway).
    Not that it's terribly important, but Bledsoe was not hurt in Dallas. Bledsoe played a terrible first half against the New York Giants. Parcells benched Bledsoe at half time and Romo never gave up the spot until he himself was hurt (and stabbed in the back by Jerry Jones. Yes I'm bitter).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am sure that Cut will play whoever he feels gives Duke the best chance to win. And I am comfortable with him making that decision.

I am obviously giddy about how well Harris played against Baylor. But it was one game when there was no tape on him running this offense. He will really have to step it up in upcoming games against teams better than Baylor.
    Yeah, is there really a decision to make here? Q protected the ball and made a couple nice TD throws where he put enough air under them to allow receivers to run under them, but he was 12-30. Baylor's corners were blatantly jumping routes early on, so the pump and go for the long TD was taking candy from a green-and-yellow-clad baby. There were a lot of bad, short throws.

Don't get me wrong, it was an impressive performance in all three phases, but there's no QB controversy here.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    Yeah, is there really a decision to make here? Q protected the ball and made a couple nice TD throws where he put enough air under them to allow receivers to run under them, but he was 12-30. Baylor's corners were blatantly jumping routes early on, so the pump and go for the long TD was taking candy from a green-and-yellow-clad baby. There were a lot of bad, short throws.

Don't get me wrong, it was an impressive performance in all three phases, but there's no QB controversy here.
    This is it. people are comparing "backup outing which wasn't a total disaster, was reasonable given the circumstances, and ultimately got us a win" with "NFL prospect." Q had almost twice as many incompletions in one game (18) as DJ has on the year (10). It's great to know we have a viable backup, but this QB controversy stuff is absurd.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    This is it. people are comparing "backup outing which wasn't a total disaster, was reasonable given the circumstances, and ultimately got us a win" with "NFL prospect." Q had almost twice as many incompletions in one game (18) as DJ has on the year (10). It's great to know we have a viable backup, but this QB controversy stuff is absurd.
    I guess I started it, but all I was trying to do was be positive and hope Quentin does well so Daniel can heal without trying to rush back. We know from last year that having him play hurt didn't work out so well.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I guess I started it, but all I was trying to do was be positive and hope Quentin does well so Daniel can heal without trying to rush back. We know from last year that having him play hurt didn't work out so well.
    Positivity will NOT be tolerated here!
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Just thought I'd tag @WallyPipp on this thread to see if he'd like to weigh in from that cornfield in Iowa.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Your comments were fine...people are jumping on the lack of a QB controversy as if someone is saying Duke has one. That's not what anyone is saying at all. We're just speculating on how quick to re-insert DJ under the hypothetical...HYPOTHETICAL...that Duke is on a 3,4 game winning streak and Harris is playing well...at the time. No one...NO ONE...indicates that the one game v Baylor indicates any kind of controversy. People are slamming at straw arguments no one is making.

Your comments were fine...people are jumping on the lack of a QB controversy as if someone is saying Duke has one. That's not what anyone is saying at all. We're just speculating on how quick to re-insert DJ under the hypothetical...HYPOTHETICAL...that Duke is on a 3,4 game winning streak and Harris is playing well...at the time. No one...NO ONE...indicates that the one game v Baylor indicates any kind of controversy. People are slamming at straw arguments no one is making.
    While I agree with this, I will add that if QH starts and plays exceptionally well and leads us for four quarters to a W against a Bud Foster defense, THEN a QB conversation must be had. Up until that point, it is speculating as to whether or not the context of a possible conversation in the future is even legitimate, which in a vacuum sounds totally ridiculous and perfect for a college football fan forum.