Farewell... For now

Trying a more healthy online regimen that will include drastically less time browsing and posting. I have had a lovely time and met some amazing people. Please understand this isn't about the board or any of you lovely fanatics, but more about personal growth and more engagement with the Real World.

No specific timelines given, I will be around off and on. Just hopefully more "off" than "on."

Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Trying a more healthy online regimen that will include drastically less time browsing and posting. I have had a lovely time and met some amazing people. Please understand this isn't about the board or any of you lovely fanatics, but more about personal growth and more engagement with the Real World.

No specific timelines given, I will be around off and on. Just hopefully more "off" than "on."

Let's go Duke!
    Good luck.

If you feel like meeting up for lunch or beers (or both) in the real world soon hit me up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post

Let's go Duke!
    Good luck!

The real world sucks though, so . . . .

As one of my favorite songs go:

“Fare thee well now, may your life proceed by its own design . . . .”

Peace. OPK

No kidding?

So, gonna skip chat room during games, too?

"You're a better man than I am"
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Having known many a folk who have stepped away from social media, message boards, etc. they all have ben better for it.

Personally, my posting has dwindled and I mainly stick to just a few subjects at a couple sites, mainly focused on cars of the Pontiac and Buick genre. Not getting sucked in does free up lots of time, but I will say it was fun while it lasted.

As others have said, good luck. We'll likely still be around intermittently if you ever stop by for old times sake.

Just be sure to come back in time for the Pick 8 contest in March. In the meantime, very best wishes.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Good luck to you. I hope you find the results you're looking for.

I renounced Facebook during the 2016 election, and renounced all social media soon after. Luckily, DBR has awesome moderators and they do a great job of keeping this place civil.

Google, DBR, and fantasy football app are pretty much all you'll find on my phone these days and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Not gonna lie, it was hard at first. I didn't realize how much of a habit I had developed.

What I find now, I loathe it all. And the fact that people closest to me can't sit still for 5 seconds without checking Facebook or whatever is annoying. But I digress.

Again, good luck, fight the good fight.

Generally I abhor "social media". I participate in a couple boards similar to DBR - ones with thoughtful discussions, a rational membership, and not too many posts. I also follow the AP and WaPost (but avoid all comment sections except the Post's Capital Weather Gang's).

-jk

I think it is kind of ironic that we are all posting "good luck" messages to a guy who just said he's not going to be really spending much time here for a while. Maybe he'll read these, though?

Always enjoyed your posts, MountainDevil.

I am active on several forums, but I have never done any form of social media. No Twitter, no Facebook, no Snapchat. Nada. Zilch. Zero. I am active here, on a golf forum I enjoy (www.golfbuzz.com), and on three shaving sites (I am a straight razor shaver and shaving fanatic). But that's the extent of my wasted time online, pretty much. I do feel like most people are too disconnected from the real world and overly connected to their devices. I make it a point to go places without my phone sometimes (gasp!).
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Hope you achieve your goals in this endeavor MD. I will miss your input. Make sure you log back on in early April so -jk can edit your name again to add the 2019 Natty! You will certainly want to participate in that celebration as it will be sweet!

Until then, go find what you are searching for buddy and recognize and appreciate that you will be missed around here... >Mark

I love DBR and Facebook (the good part of Facebook where I get to keep up with friends and see stories that are interesting to me). But I will say that creating the proper balance is something that I have to consciously pay attention to, it doesn't just happen anymore. It's just too easy to fire up a browser here at work or my phone all over.

One quick note: if your wife and you are both avid Facebook users and you decide to take a break from Facebook (or whatever your social media of choice may be) be careful of the timing. For example, if you take a break the week of your wedding anniversary and inadvertently ignore something lovely your wife has posted you could end up in hot water. Of course, that's just and example....not that I'd personally know anything about a situation like that....

Mtn Devil, enjoy your real time. It's important. Hope to see you back on DBR when games start.

You must spread some Comments around before commenting on Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 again.
    frack