Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Gamecocks consider their school to be either USC or Carolina.

Talk about swimming upstream.
    that's why it's more popularly known as Pimento State. No confusion, clarity of glacial waters.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Gamecocks consider their school to be either USC or Carolina.

Talk about swimming upstream.
    To be fair, the University of South Carolina was a school before California was a state.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Hmmmm, is this correct?

From Adam Rowe on 247 in a game preview.

Northwestern is going to come out firing on all cylinders early in the first half, looking to seek revenge on Duke for last year's blowout. With the game at 11AM East Coast time, the Blue Devils will be put back on their heels in the early going, but recover strong down the stretch.
    https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...ern-121462295/

I'm guessing he means kickoff is at 11am in Chicago?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    To be fair, the University of South Carolina was a school before California was a state.
    There are some, and I won't mention any names, who think the University of South Carolina has not yet attained university status.

Army West Point -- blame Nike

Per this: https://www.military.com/daily-news/...point-now.html

I imagine there are folks who have heard of "West Point" and don't realize it's the USMA or Army. So, the branding helps clear up that confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Well then by some folks accounts the game should be called Annapolis vs West Point!! But Navy would like that better cause then they'd come before Army if doing it alphabetically.
    No actually there aren't any fans who think this.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Hmmmm, is this correct?

From Adam Rowe on 247 in a game preview.

https://247sports.com/college/duke/A...ern-121462295/

I'm guessing he means kickoff is at 11am in Chicago?
    12 pm Eastern time, 11 am Central time.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    12 pm Eastern time, 11 am Central time.
    Yes, I double-checked with my son-in-law, a NU grad with whom we are going to the game, and he said 11 AM (Chicago time) has been the standard kickoff time for home games at least since he was an undergrad 10+ years ago. Students do not appreciate the early start

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Yes, I double-checked with my son-in-law, a NU grad with whom we are going to the game, and he said 11 AM (Chicago time) has been the standard kickoff time for home games at least since he was an undergrad 10+ years ago. Students do not appreciate the early start
    From my experience, observation, and personal experience...7 pm games are far and away the students' favorites....followed by 4 pm games...and there were the old 1:30 kick offs before games were widely televised.

Crowds are almost always bigger, louder, more energetic at night....for reasons of added lubrication hours...

And they still couldn’t claim USC. Sad!
    Carolina delenda est

But then South Carolina wasn't a state.

Too soon?

Game preview:

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018...n-game-preview

Money quote:

Duke will dominate the game for long stretches, but won’t have enough to show for it, settling for too many field goals to close out drives.
    Our Red Zone offense needs to be on point or we need to score via explosives. A combination of the two would be optimum.
    Bob Green

Brittain Brown has played in 14 games so far in his career. Duke is 6-0 in games Brown has 11 or more carries, 2-2 in games with exactly 10 carries and 0-4 in games with less than 10 carries. #FeedtheBeast
    Bob Green

Speaking of running backs, I asked Cut today on the ACC teleconference about the true freshmen who didn't play against Army. He remains high on the class even though only three (Bobo, Holman, Rice) played against Army. He said Durant continues to impress in practice.

Said Cut: "Mataeo had a great day yesterday and today in some live work, and he's ready. But again, it's a very competitive environment. There's only one football, and there's some backs that are playing well. But he's going to help us this year. No doubt in my mind, he is a terrific prospect."

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Per this: https://www.military.com/daily-news/...point-now.html

I imagine there are folks who have heard of "West Point" and don't realize it's the USMA or Army. So, the branding helps clear up that confusion.
    Nike...smh

Quote Originally Posted by swiseman View Post
    Speaking of running backs, I asked Cut today on the ACC teleconference about the true freshmen who didn't play against Army. He remains high on the class even though only three (Bobo, Holman, Rice) played against Army. He said Durant continues to impress in practice.

Said Cut: "Mataeo had a great day yesterday and today in some live work, and he's ready. But again, it's a very competitive environment. There's only one football, and there's some backs that are playing well. But he's going to help us this year. No doubt in my mind, he is a terrific prospect."
    Due to Army's slow motion clock usage, and Dukes short scoring drives, Duke had only like 52 or 53 offensive snaps. I think their normal games will be 70-80...that's a huge difference in how deep a coach might go.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    And they still couldn’t claim USC. Sad!
    That was of little consolation as they whipped us in the regionals...

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Due to Army's slow motion clock usage, and Dukes short scoring drives, Duke had only like 52 or 53 offensive snaps. I think their normal games will be 70-80...that's a huge difference in how deep a coach might go.
    Cut mentioned after the game, and then expounded yesterday, that several folks did not play as much as they thought they might because of this.

Brittain Brown has played in 14 games so far in his career. Duke is 6-0 in games Brown has 11 or more carries, 2-2 in games with exactly 10 carries and 0-4 in games with less than 10 carries. #FeedtheBeast
    Apparently others feel the same way.

https://balldurham.com/2018/09/05/du...born-run-ball/

Less the case in this variant than in the usual one, but a reminder that teams' higher winning percentage in games they have more carries is a classic example of reverse causation - teams rush more with the lead, so their winning percentage in games with more rush attempts are higher as a result, and those leads aren't necessarily generated by rushing more. Brown should carry more, but he's more likely to get more carries in a game Duke is winning than losing, so the stat is slightly misleading.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est