Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Jim Sumner article on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...devil-football

Cutcliffe has looked at the film and sees “the most athletic Northwestern team we’ve played. Athletic in both lines of scrimmage, certainly at linebacker and the secondary. Offensively, they always give you fits. They have a very talented running back and receivers and two quarterbacks who played well. I don’t know what to expect there.”
    A good read.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    What's up with that article always referring to Army as Army West Point...and not just Army?

Well

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    What's up with that article always referring to Army as Army West Point...and not just Army?
    We're not the only nation with an army.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure we are the only nation with an Army football team...and when people say "the Army Navy game" I don't think there is confusion as to which Army is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Ok - but we’re not Duke Durham and other nations watch John Wayne movies, have dogs as pets and eat mayonnaise.😀

I’m glad it’s Army West Point. Don’t really want to mess with Army 101st Airborne, or even a mechanized infantry unit.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’m glad it’s Army West Point. Don’t really want to mess with Army 101st Airborne, or even a mechanized infantry unit.
    Absolutely don't want to face those other guys. The 101st is always threat to go deep while the mechanized infantry has a strong ground game.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Absolutely don't want to face those other guys. The 101st is always threat to go deep while the mechanized infantry has a strong ground game.
    Who features the bubble sideline pass?

Oh wait, that’s us.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Ok - but we’re not Duke Durham and other nations watch John Wayne movies, have dogs as pets and eat mayonnaise.��
    I'm not sure whether that poster was actually defending the use of "Army West Point" throughout the entire article, or just doing a bit of a drive by flippant devils advocate thing...but the fact is, the use of "Army West Point" three times in a very short article is awkward and odd. It's always been "Army" for their athletic teams and "West Point" when talking about someone getting appointment...and I've never heard it "Navy Annapolis"or "Air Force Academy Colorado Springs."

Now back to our regularly scheduled chat about the gave versus "Northwestern Evanston"...

I'm not sure whether that poster was actually defending the use of "Army West Point" throughout the entire article, or just doing a bit of a drive by flippant devils advocate thing...but the fact is, the use of "Army West Point" three times in a very short article is awkward and odd. It's always been "Army" for their athletic teams and "West Point" when talking about someone getting appointment...and I've never heard it "Navy Annapolis"or "Air Force Academy Colorado Springs."

Now back to our regularly scheduled chat about the gave versus "Northwestern Evanston"...
    Moreover, it's the United States Military Academy. "Army" is just fine.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Moreover, it's the United States Military Academy. "Army" is just fine.
    Yeah...have another cup of coffee Old Man....relax....it’s just Wednesday
    You’ll make it...

I'm sure

I was just being flippant, which is my default setting. I don't think there's much point to quibbling about the composition of original DBR articles.

So just to clarify, did Duke win a football game last weekend or conquer the military of the world’s most powerful nation?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Forecast update for Chicago:

Low (Friday night): 62

High (Saturday): 70 (10% chance of rain)
    That sounds like positively footballish weather.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That sounds like positively footballish weather.
    Definitely. Those going, please bring it back with you.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Definitely. Those going, please bring it back with you.
    Sidenote: I am sick to death of this summer. Ready for fall for about two dozen reasons.

Let's go Duke!

Thanks for the clarification. I believe there are other States, regions, provinces that have Northwestern regions. 😃

I'm pretty sure we are the only nation with an Army football team...and when people say "the Army Navy game" I don't think there is confusion as to which Army is playing.
    Well then by some folks accounts the game should be called Annapolis vs West Point!! But Navy would like that better cause then they'd come before Army if doing it alphabetically.

Army West Point is a branding decision. I still use Army because I'm old and decrepit and if it ain't broke. . . .

And yes, I've wondered why they just don't go with USMA. There are plenty of examples of schools being well known by their initials. UCLA. UNLV. UTEP. UNC. Et. al.

The University of North Carolina at Charlotte insists on being called Charlotte for sports purposes. Not for anything else. Just sports.

A few years ago Duke hosted Penn in men's basketball. The Penn SID went around the media room before the game and very politely asked everyone to use University of Pennsylvania at least once before going to Penn.

And don't get me started on The Ohio State University.

Or Ole Miss.

Gamecocks consider their school to be either USC or Carolina.

Talk about swimming upstream.