Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

2nd pick tonight

I'm going to have an interesting decision to make in my draft tonight. It's a 12 team PPR league with keepers. I'm picking 2nd and my keepers are Keenan Allen (he'll be my second round pick) and Deshaun Watson (he'll be my 15th and final round pick).

Todd Gurley is a keeper. I'd prefer to draft a RB in the 2 spot. So that leaves me with:

Bell - who knows when he shows up
    Elliot - I hate the Cowboys 9F style and I don't know how healthy his o-line is
    Johnson - Coming off injury was a beast in 2016
    Kamara - Seems like a reach with the 2nd pick
    Antonio Brown - PPR gold but that would have me picking a RB in the 3rd round

Thoughts?

Well, James Conner is looking like a pretty good late round flyer! Not sure if I would start him over Chris Carson even if Bell continues not to show up though.

I would consider trading him to the Bell owner...but I play the Bell owner this week so I'd rather leave him shorthanded.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'm going to have an interesting decision to make in my draft tonight. It's a 12 team PPR league with keepers. I'm picking 2nd and my keepers are Keenan Allen (he'll be my second round pick) and Deshaun Watson (he'll be my 15th and final round pick).

Todd Gurley is a keeper. I'd prefer to draft a RB in the 2 spot. So that leaves me with:

Thoughts?
    Go DJ, no question (especially with it being PPR). I took him #1 overall this year with no qualms whatsoever.

Thoughts?
    Yeah I go DJ as well.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    I think the Bears will be a much better passing offense this year than they were last year. New coaching staff, new offense (they are taking KC's offense since their head coach and OC is the former OC in KC), better personnel. Totally different gameplan than last year. I think the biggest recipient of the new offense will be Trey Burton, but I think they'll get their WRs MUCH more involved than last year's 1970's offense. I'm hoping that ARob gets close to the WR1 share of KC's offense in Chicago.

Now, I don't expect the Bears to have as good an offensive season as KC did last year. But I'd be quick shocked if they were anywhere near the bottom in passing.
    Are you a Bears fan? Cause I don't see anyway they aren't automatically one of the bottom 2. Worst qb in the league with bad wrs on top of it.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Go DJ, no question (especially with it being PPR). I took him #1 overall this year with no qualms whatsoever.
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Yeah I go DJ as well.
    Thanks guys. I was talking with friends at lunch and we came down to: take Bell or DJ, whichever is available. I think you guys are saying to take DJ even if Bell is available. The guy with #1 has Melvin Gordon as a keeper so there's a chance he could just pluck A.Brown.

Are you a Bears fan? Cause I don't see anyway they aren't automatically one of the bottom 2. Worst qb in the league with bad wrs on top of it.
    Yes, I am a Bears fan. But I feel quite comfortable saying I'm a pretty realistic one. I knew their offense would stink the last few years. Especially last year, when we had no WRs, a terrible stop-gap QB and an inexperienced rookie in waiting, and one of the worst OCs in the league. But I think you're sleeping on them this year. Robinson is most certainly not a bad WR - heck, he caught for over 1400 yds with Blake Bortles throwing to him. Trey Burton is a breakout candidate at TE after being stuck behind Zach Ertz in Philly. Anthony Miller looks the part of a #2, and they have also added two speedsters as the #3 and #4 in Gabriel and White. Totally different set of receiving options this year. And on top of that, the scheme itself will be much improved: the same scheme that made Alex Smith look very good last year).

Now, I certainly don't think the Bears' passing game will be a juggernaut like KC's or Philly's last year. But I think it will be solid. The question as to whether or not it will be good or just solid in my mind is Trubisky. He's an unknown at this point. I don't think your assessment of him as the worst QB in the league is accurate, nor do I think it is based on much evidence. He had 12 starts as a rookie, with arguably the worst offensive coordinator in the league and the worst WRs. But they've replaced basically everything to do with the offense (including the entire coaching staff) around Trubisky except for the two guys who were good last year (Howard and Cohen).

Passing offenses that I feel fairly confident will be worse this year than Chicago's? Buffalo, Jets, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Miami, Arizona, Baltimore, and Dallas. Passing offense that could also be worse than the Bears? Cincy, Denver (because of the QB, not the weapons), and Washington.

Thanks guys. I was talking with friends at lunch and we came down to: take Bell or DJ, whichever is available. I think you guys are saying to take DJ even if Bell is available. The guy with #1 has Melvin Gordon as a keeper so there's a chance he could just pluck A.Brown.
    I really don't think you can take Bell there now, unless you're willing to wait half the season for him to play and are confident in your starters without him. He should be back in time for a late-season push and the fantasy playoffs, but you have to make the playoffs for that to count for anything!

I really don't think you can take Bell there now, unless you're willing to wait half the season for him to play and are confident in your starters without him. He should be back in time for a late-season push and the fantasy playoffs, but you have to make the playoffs for that to count for anything!
    Last year when he held out, Bell was pretty mediocre the first three weeks of the season and then was a total beast the rest of the year (the #1 fantasy performer over the final 13 weeks of the season). But, last year his holdout ended before this one will. Who knows how long it will take him to become a beast again this year... or even if he will come back. If he really wants to force the Steeler's hand, actually sitting out games that matter could send a powerful message.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Last year when he held out, Bell was pretty mediocre the first three weeks of the season and then was a total beast the rest of the year (the #1 fantasy performer over the final 13 weeks of the season). But, last year his holdout ended before this one will. Who knows how long it will take him to become a beast again this year... or even if he will come back. If he really wants to force the Steeler's hand, actually sitting out games that matter could send a powerful message.
    There are reports that he might sit out until week 10 (the latest he could join the team and accrue a season I think).

Who do you think is the stronger Defensive play - Philly D vs. Atlanta or Carolina D. vs. Dallas. Yahoo says Carolina but users are picking Philly.

I'm leaning Panthers b/c I figure the Atlanta offense brings more to the table than Dallas. Philly plays tomorrow so I've got to decide soon.

Also trying to decide between Lockett, Evans, and Funchess for WR spots. Leaning Evans and Funchess currently, although none has a particularly great matchup.
    "There can BE only one."

Still looking at my first pick. If the guy drafting first takes DJ (giving him Gurley and DJ), that leaves me with a tough choice. Bell (with all his issues) or Elliot. I've been playing F.Football since about '92 and I have literally never started a Cowboy. At the same time this is my main league and I'd like to win this year (won my other league and came in 10th in this league). Of course the league I won was free and the one I lost had a $2k pot.

If he takes DJ, here are my choices:

1) Take Zeke - Ugh
    2) Take Bell . - Ugh
    3) Take Brown - I'd have to go RB in the 3rd round with pick 26 since Keenan Allen is my 2nd round keeper at pick 23

Take a flyer on Fournette (ranked 10), Barkley (ranked 12). Note that Kamara, D.Hopkins, M.Gordon are all keepers (6,7,8 rank).

The rankings listed are from a custom sheet created for our league using Footballguys.com and their Draft Dominator Tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Who do you think is the stronger Defensive play - Philly D vs. Atlanta or Carolina D. vs. Dallas. Yahoo says Carolina but users are picking Philly.

I'm leaning Panthers b/c I figure the Atlanta offense brings more to the table than Dallas. Philly plays tomorrow so I've got to decide soon.

Also trying to decide between Lockett, Evans, and Funchess for WR spots. Leaning Evans and Funchess currently, although none has a particularly great matchup.
    I say Panthers (I'm starting them in my two leagues for at least the first week), I don't think very highly of the Dallas offense. Atlanta is much more likely to put up points.

I say Panthers (I'm starting them in my two leagues for at least the first week), I don't think very highly of the Dallas offense. Atlanta is much more likely to put up points.
    I agree. Dallas has Zeke... and not much else. They lost a lot at WR and TE, and suffered some O-line setbacks, and I don’t think they replaced it well. And I don’t think Dak is good enough to carry that passing offense the way Wilson has in Seattle.

I'm a sad Le'veon Bell owner.

The thing is, at this point, the Steelers can't give him the long term contract he wants, even if they were desperate to do so. I think I read they could pay him more for this year, but they can't add years. So, it's pretty clear that Le'veon isn't angling for a long term deal at this point--because he can't get one--and so, in fact, what he's doing is quite the opposite. His chances of ever getting a long term deal from the Steelers has never been lower. He's burning his bridges and will most likely be playing somewhere else next year.

Whether he will show up in the first 10 weeks will depend on whether he thinks it's worth throwing away $8 million to theoretically maximize his chances of getting a big long term deal somewhere else, and also whether he cares about his teammates and his legacy and all that as much as he cares about the money.

IMO, he'd get the best long-term deal if he played this whole year and played well. Sitting out isn't going to get him a better deal, but it would possibly decrease the risk of a significant injury that would cause his next contract to plummet. Of course, it may increase his risk of injury, if he's not in game shape and the Steelers throw him out there anyway. The Steelers will have little incentive to minimize his work load. And...he also may not play all that well if he's rusty and not in game shape.

All in all, I understand why he's doing what he's doing. In his mind, he's minimizing his risk. In my mind, it's questionable as to whether he's minimizing his risk, but he's definitely lowering his ceiling while throwing away potentially millions of dollars.

In the meantime, I'm rolling with Chris Carson and Lamar Miller and hoping for the best.

Yes, I am a Bears fan. But I feel quite comfortable saying I'm a pretty realistic one. I knew their offense would stink the last few years. Especially last year, when we had no WRs, a terrible stop-gap QB and an inexperienced rookie in waiting, and one of the worst OCs in the league. But I think you're sleeping on them this year. Robinson is most certainly not a bad WR - heck, he caught for over 1400 yds with Blake Bortles throwing to him. Trey Burton is a breakout candidate at TE after being stuck behind Zach Ertz in Philly. Anthony Miller looks the part of a #2, and they have also added two speedsters as the #3 and #4 in Gabriel and White. Totally different set of receiving options this year. And on top of that, the scheme itself will be much improved: the same scheme that made Alex Smith look very good last year).

Now, I certainly don't think the Bears' passing game will be a juggernaut like KC's or Philly's last year. But I think it will be solid. The question as to whether or not it will be good or just solid in my mind is Trubisky. He's an unknown at this point. I don't think your assessment of him as the worst QB in the league is accurate, nor do I think it is based on much evidence. He had 12 starts as a rookie, with arguably the worst offensive coordinator in the league and the worst WRs. But they've replaced basically everything to do with the offense (including the entire coaching staff) around Trubisky except for the two guys who were good last year (Howard and Cohen).

Passing offenses that I feel fairly confident will be worse this year than Chicago's?Buffalo, Jets, Tennessee, Jacksonville, Miami, Arizona, Baltimore, and Dallas. Passing offense that could also be worse than the Bears? Cincy, Denver (because of the QB, not the weapons), and Washington.
    I think I like the qb and wrs on those teams better than Chicago's lineup.

I think I like the qb and wrs on those teams better than Chicago's lineup.
    Well, we'll see how it plays out I guess. But I can't imagine why you'd feel better about Buffalo's Peterman/Allen combo at QB and Benjamin and crap combo at WR. Just as one example.
    Last edited by CDu; 09-06-2018 at 12:10 PM.

Well, we'll see how it plays out I guess. But I can't imagine why you'd feel better about Buffalo's Peterman/Allen combo at QB and Benjamin and crap combo at WR. Just as one example.
    Yeah I don't wanna bog this thread down on this but to keep it short I think Mitch is worse than all the starting NFL qbs and worse than around 1/4 of the backups. As for the Bills v Chicago wr group, just the fact that Kelvin is on the Bills makes that grouping better than anything Chicago can field to me.

Yeah I don't wanna bog this thread down on this but to keep it short I think Mitch is worse than all the starting NFL qbs and worse than around 1/4 of the backups. As for the Bills v Chicago wr group, just the fact that Kelvin is on the Bills makes that grouping better than anything Chicago can field to me.
    Yeah, we disagree substantially on both of your statements here. But, time will tell.

After watching the, umm, effort out of Buffalo's starter today, I'll go ahead and say quite confidently that Trubisky isn't the worst starting QB in the NFL. And I suspect the list of QBs he proves better than will increase with time this season.