Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    Curious - is the stipend an NCAA thing or a Duke thing?
    From Wikipedia.

A stipend is a regular fixed sum of money paid for services or to defray expenses, such as for scholarship, internship, or apprenticeship.[1]It is often distinct from an income or a salary because it does not necessarily represent payment for work performed; instead it represents a payment that enables somebody to be exempt partly or wholly from waged or salaried employment in order to undertake a role that is normally unpaid (e.g. a magistrate in the United Kingdom) or voluntary, or which cannot be measured in terms of a task (e.g. members of the clergy). [2][3]
    Stipends are usually lower than what would be expected as a permanent salary for similar work. This is because the stipend is complemented by other benefits such as accreditation, instruction, food, and/or accommodation. Some graduate schools make stipend payments to help students have the time and funds to earn their academic degree (i.e. master's and doctoral degrees). Universities usually refer to money paid to graduate students as a stipend, rather than wages, to reflect complementary benefits.

It’s perfectly normal and legal. My Duke grad daughter received a 4500 dollar stipend one summer for doing some research at Boulder university.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    From Wikipedia.

A stipend is a regular fixed sum of money paid for services or to defray expenses, such as for scholarship, internship, or apprenticeship.[1]It is often distinct from an income or a salary because it does not necessarily represent payment for work performed; instead it represents a payment that enables somebody to be exempt partly or wholly from waged or salaried employment in order to undertake a role that is normally unpaid (e.g. a magistrate in the United Kingdom) or voluntary, or which cannot be measured in terms of a task (e.g. members of the clergy). [2][3]
    Stipends are usually lower than what would be expected as a permanent salary for similar work. This is because the stipend is complemented by other benefits such as accreditation, instruction, food, and/or accommodation. Some graduate schools make stipend payments to help students have the time and funds to earn their academic degree (i.e. master's and doctoral degrees). Universities usually refer to money paid to graduate students as a stipend, rather than wages, to reflect complementary benefits.

It’s perfectly normal and legal. My Duke grad daughter received a 4500 dollar stipend one summer for doing some research at Boulder university.
    So if every school can provide a stipend and every school could choose to allow athletes to stay off campus, why wouldn't they? This seems like a way to 'pay' athletes within the rules

Quote Originally Posted by lmb View Post
    So if every school can provide a stipend and every school could choose to allow athletes to stay off campus, why wouldn't they? This seems like a way to 'pay' athletes within the rules
    I imagine most schools do take advantage of this. A lot of perks like this were really loosened up about 4-5 years ago (long over due). Another thing that some schools do, like Clemson, is provide an amazing student center for athletes...I think Clemson spent 50 mill on theirs recently.

Episode 4

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4OEsl1...ature=youtu.be

Special guest appearances from Marshall and Luke...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Marshall's one-and-done joke at the end killed me. Too good.

Could anyone see how high Zion jumped? It may have been a trick of perspective, but his head looked like it was above the rim by at least a few inches.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    From Wikipedia.

Part of the reason for the terminology is that student stipends are not -- or at least were not -- treated as taxable income.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Episode 5 - Practice, Buck-Orgo, NBA Alumni
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SEm6mb2en8

Episode 6 - Photo Shoots
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1xXcA7fLHY

The Duke program has to be in a class of its own when it comes to this kind of stuff - the photo shoots, video shoots and social media tie ins. Nice uncredited Debbie K appearance during the poster shoot.

Skill Development Advertisement
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPfiH1Q46fY

Episode 7 is here... the behind the scenes insight in these is really great stuff!

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Episode 7 is here... the behind the scenes insight in these is really great stuff!

Biggest takeaway, Zion loves saying "Bro"

It appears AOC has put on some weight. I would say at least 1 pound in the form of his new Man Bun!

But seriously, he seems to have a little more bulk in his shoulders/biceps. I still don't think he's ready to do much slashing and banging to the rim.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Biggest takeaway, Zion loves saying "Bro"
    My biggest takeaway is that we really need to work on our defense - I believe I have watched all of these and I have yet to see us miss a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    My biggest takeaway is that we really need to work on our defense - I believe I have watched all of these and I have yet to see us miss a shot!
    Go figure!

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    It just means that our offense is so good, we are unstoppable even by our own defense!

So something must be going on over at Duke Blue Planet, because I just received email notifications of game summaries for (4) games that happened last season, like this one https://dukeblueplanet.exposure.co/4...orida-state-93

If you go to the link, you will note that the date on the article is today.

Did anyone else get notifications? BTW, I haven't received any notifications about the video postings.

Did anyone else get notifications? BTW, I haven't received any notifications about the video postings.[/QUOTE]

yes; 7 in 21 minutes. weak sauce. keep the hoops & whistles. I suppose they can't give us full game videos — HELP! DBR legal department — but full game and ONE game story would be work for me.

Episode 8 - Giving tixs to food staff, Marty Pocius cameo, Strength and Conditioning awards, CTC, etc.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2giMwdC23A

Blue Planet?

It seems like the Blue Planet page isn't working. Is anybody else having problems? Or is there a new page?

Quote Originally Posted by mailman2927 View Post
    It seems like the Blue Planet page isn't working. Is anybody else having problems? Or is there a new page?
    The 2018-19 videos are all on YouTube...here's episode 9
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jKkbKk5Whg