Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1969

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Might 1986 be a year of demarcation between the old Duke and the new Duke?

1986: Annamaria's torn down ... Wallace Wade dies ... K and Dawkins really arrive on the national scene ...
    Interesting observation and you may be right !

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Bat owned it. Anna Maria was his very young daughter when it opened. She was a teenaged waitress when I was there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Annamaria's was owned by Benny Melanga and his wife, Annamaria. Benny and Anna moved to Durham in about 1949 or 1950 because their daughter, Agnes, had a disease that required specialized and advanced treatment that was available at Duke Hospital.

Benny had been a bricklayer in Newark, where they were from. He worked at different things in Durham to support his family. Part of that effort included Anna cooking and Benny serving food in their home - to paying customers. Many students learned of this and were regular - including quarterback Sonny Jurganson, originally from Wilmington and later in Philadelphia and then Washington.

In the late 50's the restaurant was opened on Albemarle street.

Benny (Batman or Bat) loved to sing and joke. He also loved to play the horses. But he never forgot Duke and the fact that Agnes was cured there. Many a student was fed for free when they were broke.

Bat had a heart of gold and a wit and tongue like a whip. He could make you laugh or cry. Sometimes I cry when I think of him and Anna and Agnes and those wonderful days...
    I stand corrected. Thank you sir, may I have another! I was just repeating the story I was told as I remembered it.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Thank you all.