Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Holy Moly

BBC, "The Bodyguard" due to come out early next year over here.

Unbelievably tense and riveting. Wowsa.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Tommac View Post
    My son and I binge watched Jack Ryan last Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The series was quite good and I agree with your general comments. Hoping it's successful so there will be a season 2.
    Season 2 was approved before season 1 was released...according to a footnote at the end of the final episode.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    We tend to catch on to shows after they have been out a while, but our current favorite is The Killing. Very well done murder story.

The sci-fi conversation about got me thinking about Orphan Black. That was another one we loved. I wish it were not over.
    The Killings was brilliant if somewhat slow paced. Kinnamon is in Netflixs Altered Carbon which is a pretty cool show.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I think the dialogue in Ozark is very good, and of course the story line is original too. It probably gets even better in Season 2...and they announced a likely season 3 like 2 days after Season 2 dropped. Lotta folks binged it. Guilty as charged on that last count.
    Ozarks has its own version of a Trailer Park Lady Marmont in Ruth. She the only one even trying to be better than what she is... in her own way.

I liked Yellowstone.
    Its sort of a Dallas type story in a Longmire setting. The characters are strong. Kelly Reilly is fun.

Iron Fist S2 was MUCH improved.
    Its gone from bottom rung to middle of the pack for the Marvel offerings.

The First is incredibly strong in the 1st couple of episodes.
    This is less a TV series and more of an 8 hour movie being broken into 8 discreet parts of storytelling. You hear Penn is a great actor. but its been a while since he was in anything that resonated with me. Hes bringing the goods and is a reminder of what he CAN do. It lacks the visceral dread that Handmaid leaves you with, but it is highly executed and has smart realistic sci-fi touches... So far this is using the binge format very smartly for pacing. This is maximizing the format.

Quote Originally Posted by wilko View Post
    The Killings was brilliant if somewhat slow paced. Kinnamon is in Netflixs Altered Carbon which is a pretty cool show.
    The third season of The Killing had a star turn by a young actress named Bex Taylor-Klaus playing Bullet. It was her first acting gig and she killed it, becoming one of the emotional centers of the show. I have been friends with Bex's parents for like 40 years and have known her since she was a baby. She's appeared in a bunch of TV series and had a few movie rolls. Anyway, like I said, she is amazing in season three of The Killing.

As for Altered Carbon, I love the look and general idea behind it, but the show was really trippy at times and the story was difficult to follow what with characters jumping around into different bodies and the such. It was ambitious sci-fi, that's for sure, with some great acting. Overall, I enjoyed it but my wife bowed out after a couple episodes so it may not be for everyone. They are working on a second season but Kinnamon is supposedly not coming back... which isn't difficult because they can just "re-sleeve" the character into a new body.

-Jason "meanwhile, the aforementioned Marvelous Miss Maisel just destroyed at the Emmy's last night. It won Best Comedy Series, Best Comedy Actress, Best Comedy Supporting Actress... nuf said" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

-Jason "meanwhile, the aforementioned Marvelous Miss Maisel just destroyed at the Emmy's last night. It won Best Comedy Series, Best Comedy Actress, Best Comedy Supporting Actress... nuf said" Evans
    I love it that Arthur Fonzarelli Jr finally got the Emmy he deserved.
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The third season of The Killing had a star turn by a young actress named Bex Taylor-Klaus playing Bullet. It was her first acting gig and she killed it, becoming one of the emotional centers of the show. I have been friends with Bex's parents for like 40 years and have known her since she was a baby. She's appeared in a bunch of TV series and had a few movie rolls. Anyway, like I said, she is amazing in season three of The Killing.
    That’s awesome!
    I am aware of Bex. She played essentially the same character (I think she wore the same clothes and hair) for a supporting, recurring role on Arrow early on...

She has her name pop-up on comiccons every so often.

She’s on to keep an eye on, I agree

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If you like science fiction, have you tried The Expanse?
    Quote Originally Posted by BLPOG View Post
    I second the recommendation of The Expanse, not only because it's a good show, but also because it strives for realism in the depiction of most technology and physics, which tends to be lacking in television sci-fi.*

*If you've seen the show, then yes, there is obviously a counterexample, but you get my point.
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Yes. We discovered this last spring and are now caught up. It is a great show and the arc has been very satisfying. I am looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Any other sci-fi gems out there?
    I FINALLY got around to watching this. I love good sci-fi, so I've been eyeing this one, but have been taking a few months getting through all of the Stargate SG-1 seasons (loved it when it came out, and for the most part it still holds up), and with over 10 full seasons, that's time consuming. I also tried hard to watch Battlestar Galactica, but ultimately decided that I hate it and gave up. So...on to The Expanse.
    Wow, what a great show. Deep characters, with some amazing acting and an engaging story line. How engaging? I've stayed up til 1 or 2 am every night this week binging at least three episodes per night, so I'm getting close to the end of season 2.

Side note, Jared Harris, the fellow who plays Anderson Dawes (also played Moriarity in Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows and has been in a bunch of other films/shows) graduated from Duke in '83.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I FINALLY got around to watching this. I love good sci-fi, so I've been eyeing this one, but have been taking a few months getting through all of the Stargate SG-1 seasons (loved it when it came out, and for the most part it still holds up), and with over 10 full seasons, that's time consuming. I also tried hard to watch Battlestar Galactica, but ultimately decided that I hate it and gave up. So...on to The Expanse.
    Wow, what a great show. Deep characters, with some amazing acting and an engaging story line. How engaging? I've stayed up til 1 or 2 am every night this week binging at least three episodes per night, so I'm getting close to the end of season 2.

Side note, Jared Harris, the fellow who plays Anderson Dawes (also played Moriarity in Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows and has been in a bunch of other films/shows) graduated from Duke in '83.
    Thanks for resuscitating this thread. Been meaning to check out Expanse.