Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If you like science fiction, have you tried The Expanse?
    I second the recommendation of The Expanse, not only because it's a good show, but also because it strives for realism in the depiction of most technology and physics, which tends to be lacking in television sci-fi.*

*If you've seen the show, then yes, there is obviously a counterexample, but you get my point.

Saw the first two episodes of Jack Ryan last night. I enjoyed them. Good acting. Good production. Nothing fancy on the plot (thankfully). I'm tired of silly plot twists. It looks like this one will be Jack and Jim following where the intel leads them as they try and get ahead of the bad guys while the bad guys try and do their dastardly deeds before getting caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Can we morph this thread from "shows you should watch" to "what shows are you watching that you think others should watch?"

I'll echo the recommendation for Ozark. Season 1 was great. Every episode. Definitely looking forward to Season 2.

Others we are now watching and enjoy

Get Shorty - just started it. On Ep 3 or so. Fun thus far. It's in its second season, and I've heard it's great

Goliath - just saw first episode. Really enjoyed it. This series is also in Season 2, I believe.

The Americans - yeah, I know, we are behind. On Season 2 at the moment.

Better Call Saul - fully caught up. This current season is S L O W. They've gotten too full of themselves (the Producers, that is). We are four episodes in, and barely anything has happened, and nothing makes sense (and there have been some things that did happen, that defy logic). That said, still hopeful.

Marvelous Ms. Maisel - if you haven't seen Season 1...go do it. Right now!

Any other good recommendations out there?
    Sneaky Pete on Amazon. Pretty entertaining watch through two seasons.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Sneaky Pete on Amazon. Pretty entertaining watch through two seasons.
    Major seconding of Sneaky Pete. The multiple plots get a little tough to follow at times, but some good acting and really compelling characters in this show.

Oh, and anyone who is missing Miss Maisel is crazy. Might be the funniest show on TV right now.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The Man in the High Castle is amazing. Highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    The next season is coming back in October.

I waiting for the remakes of Murder She Wrote and Matlock.

Stranger Things: love the 80s nostalgia
    Longmire: awesome lawman/native american show
    Bosch: great LA detective series
    Kim’s Comvenience: hilarious
    Sneaky Pete: excellent

I really liked The End of the F***ing World on Netflix (98% recommended on rottentomatoes!). It sets itself up as a dark comedy which may not be to everyone's tastes, but I found it pretty moving too.

Stranger Things is my favorite but I figure everyone's either watched that now or decided not to. I also liked Season 1 of True Detective a lot.

I found Season Two much better than Season One. More narrative structure. It is a good show, for sure. Somehow, it has made us actually like some Nazis... not an easy task.

I could never get into it...and that's strange to me. I love history, geopolitical struggles, and am a WW2 buff and bit of an expert...this series very much excited me in concept....but for some reason, I can't care about it. I realize I'm in minority here.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I had a random thought about when Ozark was returning - Googled it...and season 2 drops TOMORROW. (Timing is everything) Since I was traveling and away from the family, I watched a couple of the last episodes of season one last night to get me re-oriented for 2.

Good solid 4 out of 5 *s in my opinion. Very good dialogue.
    One of the actresses on Ozark is named Quinn Cooke.

Thanks to those of you who recommended Ozark. Wife and I started watching a couple night ago and are about halfway through season 1. Good stuff, a real Breaking Bad vibe to all of it.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I finished up Jack Ryan and really enjoyed it.

I appreciate that it didn't have any gratuitous violence. I know it's all the rage to show all the gory details and show how hard you have to be to be a bad ***. This show went in a different direction. It showed how the violence affects people and changes their life. It shows how good people have bad things happen to them, and even how they end up doing bad things themselves.

I also really liked the way the plot unfolded. So many shows try and trick the viewers or have a big switch about who is good or bad or whatever. This one was very straight forward. I'm not giving anything away by saying that Jack Ryan is the center of the show and as he discovers the bad guy plot, the viewer learns the bad guy plot. A few times, since the viewer sees the story of the bad guy as well as Jack, we are able to know ahead of time that he's about to mess something up. I really enjoyed, as a viewer, being treated with respect that it's ok if I know a plan isn't going to work and the excitement is in seeing what both sides will do as a result of their plans colliding.

I feel like back in the day, this was a show that would be a 3 day mini-series. So, if you want to see a nice little action/spy mini-series that treats their viewers with respect and gives them decent characters with motivation and heart, I say check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by darthur View Post
    I really liked The End of the F***ing World on Netflix (98% recommended on rottentomatoes!). It sets itself up as a dark comedy which may not be to everyone's tastes, but I found it pretty moving too.
    I'll second that. It definitely won't appeal to everyone, but I liked it.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Thanks to those of you who recommended Ozark. Wife and I started watching a couple night ago and are about halfway through season 1. Good stuff, a real Breaking Bad vibe to all of it.
    It helps if you don't mind high body counts.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I’ve really enjoyed GLOW on Netflix. (It helps that I remember ‘80s women’s wrestling.)

The next to last episode, where it’s presented as one of the GLOW episodes, was brilliant. But the entire two seasons so far (20 episodes) has been great. Excellent way to spend ~10 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think the dialogue in Ozark is very good, and of course the story line is original too. It probably gets even better in Season 2...and they announced a likely season 3 like 2 days after Season 2 dropped. Lotta folks binged it. Guilty as charged on that last count.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    I finished up Jack Ryan and really enjoyed it.

I appreciate that it didn't have any gratuitous violence. I know it's all the rage to show all the gory details and show how hard you have to be to be a bad ***. This show went in a different direction. It showed how the violence affects people and changes their life. It shows how good people have bad things happen to them, and even how they end up doing bad things themselves.

I also really liked the way the plot unfolded. So many shows try and trick the viewers or have a big switch about who is good or bad or whatever. This one was very straight forward. I'm not giving anything away by saying that Jack Ryan is the center of the show and as he discovers the bad guy plot, the viewer learns the bad guy plot. A few times, since the viewer sees the story of the bad guy as well as Jack, we are able to know ahead of time that he's about to mess something up. I really enjoyed, as a viewer, being treated with respect that it's ok if I know a plan isn't going to work and the excitement is in seeing what both sides will do as a result of their plans colliding.

I feel like back in the day, this was a show that would be a 3 day mini-series. So, if you want to see a nice little action/spy mini-series that treats their viewers with respect and gives them decent characters with motivation and heart, I say check it out.
    My son and I binge watched Jack Ryan last Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The series was quite good and I agree with your general comments. Hoping it's successful so there will be a season 2.
    Tom Mac

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    If you like science fiction, have you tried The Expanse?
    Yes. We discovered this last spring and are now caught up. It is a great show and the arc has been very satisfying. I am looking forward to seeing where it goes from here.

Any other sci-fi gems out there?