Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    I'm going with the Los Angeles Chargers over the Titans this week in the 1-Strike Pool.
    Bob Green

I survived.
    Bob Green

I'm on the Falcons... that tells you how much the Giants stink cause the Falcons are an injured mess right now
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Almost forgot to make my pick this week. But, turns out shouldn't have bothered unless the Dolphins pull off a miracle in the next minute and a half.

In the no strike pool, we will all go out or go on tomorrow night. It's all up to the Falcons. And whoever they play, I suppose.

In one strike, I survived with the KC Chiefs.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    In one strike, I survived with the KC Chiefs.
    I took a chance on the Colts and had some stress but it worked out really nicely for me. I was picking against the Raiders more than for the Colts.

The 3 still in the no strike pool survive to next week.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    The 3 still in the no strike pool survive to next week.
    Another somewhat tricky schedule to pick next week, depending on which teams one has already used.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    Another somewhat tricky schedule to pick next week, depending on which teams one has already used.
    Yeah, I'm thankful I still have KC to pick this week. With San Fran playing Oakland and New Orleans playing the Rams, the bad teams are playing each other and the good teams are playing each other... that's a tough formula.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Yeah, I'm thankful I still have KC to pick this week. With San Fran playing Oakland and New Orleans playing the Rams, the bad teams are playing each other and the good teams are playing each other... that's a tough formula.
    And my Giants have a bye before next weekend's epic Monday night showdown with the 49ers. ESPN has gotten some stinkers, and the production value of the show matches the quality of play. If I see one more booth shot of Witten and Tess awkwardly hanging out...

Everybody moves on again in the no-strike pool.

One strike pool is down to four as the Cowboys took out two more contestants last night. DukieInKansas is in the lead with no strikes, while the rest of us have one.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    One strike pool is down to four as the Cowboys took out two more contestants last night. DukieInKansas is in the lead with no strikes, while the rest of us have one.
    Picking the same team in both pools has paid off (so far).

Got my pic in this week. It's getting tougher as there were only 2 I felt reasonably confident about. Wondered about trying to sneak a bad team in since several face off this week, but decided to stick with what has worked so far.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    One strike pool is down to four as the Cowboys took out two more contestants last night.
    I'm one of the two eliminated by the Cowboys loss.
    Bob Green

Three of us still hanging tough in the no strike pool and only two in the one strike pool. I do not feel good about my options this week.

Yeah, most of the strong teams have been picked and most of the bad teams are playing each other. This is the longest I've ever survived in this thing, so trying to take it one week at a time.
    "There can BE only one."

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Three of us still hanging tough in the no strike pool and only two in the one strike pool. I do not feel good about my options this week.
    Yes, DiK and I are the only folks alive in the 1-strike pool... but he has zero strikes. He and I have both used up the Rams, Chiefs, Pats, Chargers, Green Bay, Panthers, Texans, and Falcons. I still have the Saints and he does not. He still has the Vikings and I do not. We both still have the Steelers too (and they look like an attractive pick this week).

This could be the week to really go for it and take a bad team playing an even worse one. Do you take Tampa over the Giants? What about Arizona over the wretched Raiders?

This is as long as I remember one of our survival pools running. I'm starting to run low on super-confident picks, but I also make a point of looking ahead through the schedule of future matchups before making my weekly pick. This means that I'll sometimes make a pick at, say, 70% confidence over one at 90% confidence, in the name of preserving more favorable future picks. I did this in the very first week this year, picking Denver to win at home even though they're not very good...they always perform well in their first home game, especially if it's in Week 1, owing to some players still rounding into optimal game shape. That pick paid off, and effectively bought me an extra week to choose from stronger contenders (I wouldn't touch the Broncos in just about any matchup at this point in this season). Looking ahead, I have my slate of picks mapped out through the end of the regular season, giving me a string of reasonably confident picks relative to the dwindling pool of choices.