Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Late to thebgame but picks are in. Still a day or so for any other stragglers.

The Bucs are threatening a first-week bloodbath. If they manage to take out the Saints, it would eliminate a third of the one-strike league.
    Right now, Tampa Bay has a two-touchdown lead late in the first half.

Well... I guess that’s one less thing to worry about each week. I was really looking forward to winning the $100k, winner take all pool I was in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    The Bucs are threatening a first-week bloodbath. If they manage to take out the Saints, it would eliminate a third of the one-strike league.
    Right now, Tampa Bay has a two-touchdown lead late in the first half.
    And this is why we have a one-strike league. C’est la vie.

Do you go out if your game ends in a tie?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Fairly certain you stay. Technically, you didn't lose. But hey you didn't win either. A few of us p9cked Pittsburgh.

Looks like you stay. To which I say BOOOOO. This isn't tee-ball! If your team can't beat the Browns, you deserve to be eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Looks like you stay. To which I say BOOOOO. This isn't tee-ball! If your team can't beat the Browns, you deserve to be eliminated.
    I agree but will happily stay in.

With both rounds of afternoon games complete, we have had 9 of 24 players eliminated from the no-mercy pool, eight by New Orleans' loss to Tampa Bay and one by Arizona's loss to Washington. Seven more people have yet to have their first pick tested, 5 people having picked the Packers over the Bears tonight and two brave souls trusting the Lions to take care of business against the Jets tomorrow evening.

Of course no eliminations yet in the two-strike pool, but ten participants in that pool (myself included) have already burned their only safety net by picking the Saints.

I survived, which means I performed better than last year. On to Week 2...
    Bob Green

I agree but will happily stay in.
    Unfortunately, we've been eliminated as of this morning.

If not for a furious second-half comeback by the Packers last night, the no-strike league would be down to 7 out of 24 players...an over 70% elimination rate in Week 1. Even with Green Bay's victory, half of the participants are already out.

Apparently someone forgot to tell Tampa Bay that their dumbass starting QB was out and that their journeyman backup has a history of mediocrity. Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Apparently someone forgot to tell Tampa Bay that their dumbass starting QB was out and that their journeyman backup has a history of mediocrity. Sigh.
    Everyone always says this, but Fitzpatrick is more up-and-down than he is mediocre. A little bit like the good-Rex bad-Rex thing for the Bears years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Everyone always says this, but Fitzpatrick is more up-and-down than he is mediocre. A little bit like the good-Rex bad-Rex thing for the Bears years back.
    We would have won SB XLI with Cowboy Kyle Orton behind center. With Devin Hester, a solid running attack and our elite D, all we needed was someone to not lose the game for us.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Good news for me is that I only took the Steelers in the $10K pool. Took the Packers in DBR pools so I live for another pick. (I knew I had the Steelers as a pick but didn't look to see which pool.)

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Yeah, a tie eliminates you b/c it's not a win. I went out on a Philly tie a few years ago.

Kudos to NFL memes who posted "Only the Browns could end a losing streak without technically winning."

They also noted that Cleveland was on pace for a 0-0-16 season

I survived in both - Baltimore over Buffalo and Green Bay over Chicago, although the latter was incredibly close. A buddy of mine was a Chicago fan and posted a graphic at halftime showing how all the prognosticators picked GB to win pregame. It was captioned "That's why they play the game!" Responses have been glorious. Best one so far is "That's why they play the ENTIRE game."
    "There can BE only one."

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I picked Baltimore.

I have a rule in survivor pools which I will pass along as it has served me well in the past. First, I should mention that I never set winning one of these things as my goal, no, my goal is to make it to Week 2.

Anyway - my rule - never pick a divisional match up the first week. There you have it. Feel free to adopt my time tested strategy next year. It's gotten me to Week 2 of all but the first one of these pools I ever entered. I have achieved my goal - the rest is gravy.

With the Jets out to a shockingly good start to the season (up 41-17 over the Lions late in the 3rd), it appears that 14 of 24 players (just short of 60%) will be eliminated from the no-strike league in the first week.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    With the Jets out to a shockingly good start to the season (up 41-17 over the Lions late in the 3rd), it appears that 14 of 24 players (just short of 60%) will be eliminated from the no-strike league in the first week.
    Stafford has looked like the worst QB in the league, maybe outside of Buffalo. What a joke.