Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I don't think it's 100% ridiculous either...this is what TV has brought us to. The bad attendance games you mention really are an embarrassment, but they are absolutely exacerbated by September noonish starts, which is why on another thread I didn't agree with Cut's mild lamentation on playing Friday nights. I saw some poorly attended games at WW last year, but the Miami night game was electric, it really was, even though we didn't play very well. The most realistic way out of this mess is to win more, and we get a dual benefit: 1) more fans will show up, though it takes time, and 2) we'll get better TV slots such as 3:30 which are more
    tailgate friendly, or even the odd night game, even a Friday night game if I may be so bold...the bottom line is Duke has to make attending games more attractive than watching at home on the big TV, and that can be difficult.
    I know you won't believe this, BudWom, but there are people we both know who watch games on "the big TV" from the Card parking lot.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Duke regularly has offers to school employees that essentially amount to giving away tickets and they have difficulty even doing that.

This is a problem that is spreading across the sports world, different sports, different levels. It's so easy to sit at home and switch between a half-dozen games, while monitoring even more on your laptop, while getting your fantasy updates. Going to games in person, with traffic and parking and heat and rain over-priced food? Why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I know you won't believe this, BudWom, but there are people we both know who watch games on "the big TV" from the Card parking lot.
    Never!

(I know them, too.)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Never!

(I know them, too.)
    At least, since they stopped letting folks leave at halftime and return for the third quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Going to games in person, with traffic and parking and heat and rain over-priced food? Why bother?
    To battle some of that, the Falcons have cut concession costs significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ... why on another thread I didn't agree with Cut's mild lamentation on playing Friday nights ...
    I think we've let that go.

Luke DeCock from the N&O should be posting here, too:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...217368595.html

“Duke’s window with this team may be shorter than usual, but it’s wide open.”

At least our ceiling is not the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

Maybe the ceiling is the window? Or is that the floor is the window? I get sooooooo confused. Ask a Hole - they know about these things.

I email back and forth some with him....more on the Hurricanes than Duke...but I'll shoot him an email with an invite.

At least we don't have a "lid" to put on it.

"What's that you say?"

(Go Bears!)

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I email back and forth some with him...more on the Hurricanes than Duke...but I'll shoot him an email with an invite.
    That'd be great. He's been pretty rough on the 'Canes in the off-season and almost all deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I email back and forth some with him...more on the Hurricanes than Duke...but I'll shoot him an email with an invite.
    DeCock covers Miami?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Since you guys don't play State in the regular season, I'll predict a 13-1 record, losing to NC State in the ACC championship game and getting knocked out of the playoffs. State of course, has an undefeated season winning the ACC championship and NCAA championship!

Good luck
    That is the strangest typo. In that last statement PackMan97 managed to misspell the word Clemson completely as 'State'. Weird.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    That is the strangest typo. In that last statement PackMan97 managed to misspell the word Clemson completely as 'State'. Weird.
    Maybe he meant "Upstate"

Maybe he meant "Upstate"
    Upstate is actually one of my favorite places. Once Amazon's HQ2 picks Raleigh, I plan on waiting a few years for property values to go crazy, sell my current house for $3 gazillion dollars and move to the Upstate, maybe someplace around Travellers Rest and retire.

I did after all grow up a Clemson fan and learned hating Carolina was one of my earliest memories. Of course, the people up here in the North State call them the Tarheels instead of Gamecocks, but it really doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Upstate is actually one of my favorite places. Once Amazon's HQ2 picks Raleigh, I plan on waiting a few years for property values to go crazy, sell my current house for $3 gazillion dollars and move to the Upstate, maybe someplace around Travellers Rest and retire.

I did after all grow up a Clemson fan and learned hating Carolina was one of my earliest memories. Of course, the people up here in the North State call them the Tarheels instead of Gamecocks, but it really doesn't matter.
    There's quite tasty brews just an hour north of Travelers Rest.

I'll go with 8-4 with losses to Clemson, Miami, VT (we've found a lot of ways to lose to them the last few years ) and 1 other when some sorry-I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. excuse for an acc ref screws us out of an interception/blocks in the back/knee down or ignores an obvious PI call or three as we drive for the go ahead/winning TD like the @#$% crew in the Pitt game last year.

Then, we'll win our bowl game.

Kind of amazing that Northwestern put up 31 points in the first half, and a donut in the second.

We sure seemed to be half the crowd there. What a remarkable night.
    Damn you, Johnny Football!!!