Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukelogger View Post
    For me, our crowd in the dome that night is a significant piece of the memory from that game. I was watching with a bunch of high school buddies and their wives, mostly alums or fans of the two football schools in South Carolina, and everyone was shocked to see how well we were represented. To see the Duke crowd scattered all over the lower and upper deck and hear us (obviously I wasn't there, thanks to all that did go!) as much as you can from a tv broadcast, I will still remember that as a great night for Duke football. I think moving forward though, thats in the past and this program is beyond moral victories. Bring on A&M in the Belk Bowl! Friday can't come soon enough!
    I was there, and while the Georgia Dome was not exactly full, it was about 90% full and the Duke and A&M crowds were of equal size and we were just as loud. Of course, being in Atlanta helped that--it wouldn't have been the case in, say, New Orleans or somewhere else farther from ACC territory and closer to College Station.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The attendance was listed "officially" at 67K but the article I looked at thought it was less. I think Duke claims there were about 20-22K Duke tickets sold, pretty damned good for a school/fan base our size. I think we had about that many fans in the seats at the Belk Bowl in 2012, too. Another impressive showing. I don't recall reading about how many Duke fans attended the Pinstripe Bowl but I'd guess a comparable number. IIRC, OPK and some of his family were the only Duke fans who traveled to El Paso for the Sun Bowl and he was the only one who contracted Hep C.
    I have seen every bowl game in the Cut era (including the ACC championship game in Charlotte against FSU). We have had great crowds at every game, given our size. We certainly held our own at the ACCC, the Belk, the Peach-fil-A, the Pinstripe, and the last bowl in Detroit.

We were certainly outnumbered at the Sun Bowl, in part because there's no good way to get to El Paso and in larger part because Arizona State was a relatively easy drive for a much bigger alum base. I will say, though, that you could not find a friendlier host city and a beautiful setting. Would do that trip again in a heartbeat.

I got Hep D at the bowl, although it was from the tattoo in Juarez. Didn't know Hep had a D strain.

(Was also at the HOF Bowl in the Goldsmith era, we were badly outnumbered by Wisconsin. Not because Duke didn't show up, but because Wisconsin is apparently full of alum who jumped at the opportunity to go to Tampa for New Year's festivities and weather instead of shoveling snow).

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post

(Was also at the HOF Bowl in the Goldsmith era, we were badly outnumbered by Wisconsin. Not because Duke didn't show up, but because Wisconsin is apparently full of alum who jumped at the opportunity to go to Tampa for New Year's instead of shoveling snow).
    Florida folklore says that the West Coast of Florida is dominated by snowbirds and transplants from the Midwest, while the East Coast attracts those from the Northeast (with a big shout out to the Quebecois).
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I have seen every bowl game in the Cut era (including the ACC championship game in Charlotte against FSU). We have had great crowds at every game, given our size. We certainly held our own at the ACCC, the Belk, the Peach-fil-A, the Pinstripe, and the last bowl in Detroit.

We were certainly outnumbered at the Sun Bowl, in part because there's no good way to get to El Paso and in larger part because Arizona State was a relatively easy drive for a much bigger alum base. I will say, though, that you could not find a friendlier host city and a beautiful setting. Would do that trip again in a heartbeat.

I got Hep D at the bowl, although it was from the tattoo in Juarez. Didn't know Hep had a D strain.

(Was also at the HOF Bowl in the Goldsmith era, we were badly outnumbered by Wisconsin. Not because Duke didn't show up, but because Wisconsin is apparently full of alum who jumped at the opportunity to go to Tampa for New Year's festivities and weather instead of shoveling snow).
    Plus, New Glarus Brewing Company had just opened in 1993 so they were in their toddlerhood, even more incentive for Wisconsin fans to travel to a warmer locale.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Plus, New Glarus Brewing Company had just opened in 1993 so they were in their toddlerhood, even more incentive for Wisconsin fans to travel to a warmer locale.
    New Year’s Eve in Ybor City is a trip.

There are probably some SEC fans that believe you haven't made it as a football program until you have a message board thread covering all the Hepatitis strands...So we are well on our way boys!

8 wins with 5 losses

Daniel Jones, QB will be better and healthy(praying), Brown will be one of the best running backs in the conference and our wide receivers will be much improved. The only negative is the schedule. We have some games where any of Jones, Brown, our all-conference LBs could get dinged up. I'm going with 8-5 with a bowl win. GoDuke!

The attendance was listed "officially" at 67K but the article I looked at thought it was less. I think Duke claims there were about 20-22K Duke tickets sold, pretty damned good for a school/fan base our size. I think we had about that many fans in the seats at the Belk Bowl in 2012, too. Another impressive showing. I don't recall reading about how many Duke fans attended the Pinstripe Bowl but I'd guess a comparable number. IIRC, OPK and some of his family were the only Duke fans who traveled to El Paso for the Sun Bowl and he was the only one who contracted Hep C.
    This may not be the right place for this link but it makes for interesting reading!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college...ats-1535634001

It may help to explain why, when I watch Duke football games on TV, the "announced" attendance seems far higher than the number of actual bodies in the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    This may not be the right place for this link but it makes for interesting reading!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/college...ats-1535634001

It may help to explain why, when I watch Duke football games on TV, the "announced" attendance seems far higher than the number of actual bodies in the seats.
    Excellent article. Selling our souls to ESPN is a huge part of the problem as noted and some day the smaller schools may elect to play televised games in front of empty stadiums. Would save $$ on stadium staff and stadium maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Excellent article. Selling our souls to ESPN is a huge part of the problem as noted and some day the smaller schools may elect to play televised games in front of empty stadiums. Would save $$ on stadium staff and stadium maintenance.
    With due respect, I don't think that is it at all...Duke has had many 1 pm kickoffs forever long before ESPN...and poor crowds long before ESPN. In fact, their best attended game are also on TV, at night.

I've long predicted days when we may pay fans to attend, make the place look full, just like in some city communities grievers have been hired to pack funerals...gig economy, folks!
    p.s. "announced" attendances have been misleading for decades, be it in college sports, MLB, whatever...

article in USA Today about tens of millions of $ changing hands in college football as presumed patsies get paid to provide wins for the home team...some teams (MTSU?) are getting $3-4 million from several such games this year...alas, sometimes the strategy backfires, as when Nebraska last year paid North Illinois $820k to visit Lincoln, NIU won, D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I've long predicted days when we may pay fans to attend ...
    I've been offered a drink and a sandwich if I grace the Tower for a quarter tomorrow night. I'm thinking there may be a timeshare presentation involved, however.

Since you guys don't play State in the regular season, I'll predict a 13-1 record, losing to NC State in the ACC championship game and getting knocked out of the playoffs. State of course, has an undefeated season winning the ACC championship and NCAA championship!

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Since you guys don't play State in the regular season, I'll predict a 13-1 record, losing to NC State in the ACC championship game and getting knocked out of the playoffs. State of course, has an undefeated season winning the ACC championship and NCAA championship!

Good luck
    Get your hotel reservations for Charlotte right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Get your hotel reservations for Charlotte right now.
    That game would be fun but unfortunately it has 0 chance of happening (the Pack is too weak this year).😎

That game would be fun but unfortunately it has 0 chance of happening (the Pack is too weak this year).��
    The biggest obstacle to that meeting would be State getting by Clemson. Anybody getting by Clemson before the NCAA playoffs would be a shocker.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I've long predicted days when we may pay fans to attend, make the place look full, just like in some city communities grievers have been hired to pack funerals...gig economy, folks!
    p.s. "announced" attendances have been misleading for decades, be it in college sports, MLB, whatever...

article in USA Today about tens of millions of $ changing hands in college football as presumed patsies get paid to provide wins for the home team...some teams (MTSU?) are getting $3-4 million from several such games this year...alas, sometimes the strategy backfires, as when Nebraska last year paid North Illinois $820k to visit Lincoln, NIU won, D'oh!
    Your suggestion may seem ridiculous, on its face, but you may be on to something. I've advocated for years that Duke (and, I'm sure, many other schools) need to be much more aggressive and creative in TRYING to get more bodies in the stands for most of its home games. From what I can see on TV, the attendance at most home games is pathetic and I truly feel sorry for the coaching staff and the players (all the more reason to admire Cut for remaining at Duke when he could be coaching at a school that has much more fan support for its football team). I think Duke should be giving out free tickets (to most of the home games) to all university employees; free tickets to all kids under the age of 18 in Durham; discounted tickets to parents and others who bring their kids to the games; financial and other incentives (maybe drawings for restaurant gift certificates or on-campus eateries, etc) for students to attend games; free parking and reasonably-priced concessions, etc. No doubt Duke is fighting an uphill battle to fill the football stadium but I just wonder it it can't do better?

Your suggestion may seem ridiculous, on its face, but you may be on to something. I've advocated for years that Duke (and, I'm sure, many other schools) need to be much more aggressive and creative in TRYING to get more bodies in the stands for most of its home games. From what I can see on TV, the attendance at most home games is pathetic and I truly feel sorry for the coaching staff and the players (all the more reason to admire Cut for remaining at Duke when he could be coaching at a school that has much more fan support for its football team). I think Duke should be giving out free tickets (to most of the home games) to all university employees; free tickets to all kids under the age of 18 in Durham; discounted tickets to parents and others who bring their kids to the games; financial and other incentives (maybe drawings for restaurant gift certificates or on-campus eateries, etc) for students to attend games; free parking and reasonably-priced concessions, etc. No doubt Duke is fighting an uphill battle to fill the football stadium but I just wonder it it can't do better?
    I'd add craft beer tastings before each home game with several different NC breweries each game, not just the locals, who are all quite good BTW. Heck, Hardywood Craft Ales and Ardent Brewing from Richmond VA and Westbrook Brewing from SC would also be invited. No one has asked my opinion however.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I've been offered a drink and a sandwich if I grace the Tower for a quarter tomorrow night. I'm thinking there may be a timeshare presentation involved, however.
    That's funny...frankly I'd consider a timeshare in the Tower, some fractional deal would work for me...you might as well go since it's nice up there (sat there for one game) but better lock your checkbook in your car.

I don't think it's 100% ridiculous either...this is what TV has brought us to. The bad attendance games you mention really are an embarrassment, but they are absolutely exacerbated by September noonish starts, which is why on another thread I didn't agree with Cut's mild lamentation on playing Friday nights. I saw some poorly attended games at WW last year, but the Miami night game was electric, it really was, even though we didn't play very well. The most realistic way out of this mess is to win more, and we get a dual benefit: 1) more fans will show up, though it takes time, and 2) we'll get better TV slots such as 3:30 which are more
    tailgate friendly, or even the odd night game, even a Friday night game if I may be so bold...the bottom line is Duke has to make attending games more attractive than watching at home on the big TV, and that can be difficult.