Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Magnum PI, Redux

This travesty must be addressed. The commercials for the new reboot are extremely offensive to this dyed in the wool Selleck fan. A very significant part of my youth was dedicated to gazing dreamily at the teevee at Magnum's 6'4" fabulosity wearing his Detroit Tiger cap.

I am deeply offended by this ridiculous development.

And I do not care that Selleck gave his supposed "blessing." I'm calling shenanigans on that.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    This travesty must be addressed. The commercials for the new reboot are extremely offensive to this dyed in the wool Selleck fan. A very significant part of my youth was dedicated to gazing dreamily at the teevee at Magnum's 6'4" fabulosity wearing his Detroit Tiger cap.

I am deeply offended by this ridiculous development.

And I do not care that Selleck gave his supposed "blessing." I'm calling shenanigans on that.
    I thought I was being punked. I halfway caught an ad. Then went on YouTube to verify and watched a gawdawful 3 minute clip or something.

Why Hollywood, why? What did we do to deserve this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I thought I was being punked. I halfway caught an ad. Then went on YouTube to verify and watched a gawdawful 3 minute clip or something.

Someone trying to get their revenge at the expense of the millennials in the crowd?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Someone trying to get their revenge at the expense of the millennials in the crowd?
    Reminds me of this somehow...

Weezer Covers Toto

http://www.realclearlife.com/music/w...ecording-time/

The Hawaii 5-0 reboot worked, IMO.

The McGyver reboot? Meh.

This looks like they're beginning to fish a fished-out pond.

It didn't look any worse until Magnum jumps from the car, to the truck that is ramming his car, to it falling off the cliff into the ocean to jumping and catching the helicopter. Good lord, at least make some of the action maybe kinda sorta possible. Even Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible movies doesn't do stunts like that.

I will say I like the new Higgins but there is about a 0% chance I'll watch this show.

The new Higgins has terrible hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    The new Higgins has terrible hair.
    The old Higgins had less hair.

The old Higgins had less hair.
    But he had it well styles. 😂

Just . . . no.

Diehard Magnum fan here. This IS a travesty. Further proof that Hollywood has run out of original ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Just . . . no.

Diehard Magnum fan here. This IS a travesty. Further proof that Hollywood has run out of original ideas.
    There are no new ideas for Hollywood but their lack of creativity in presenting the old formulas is astounding!

Magnum was such a great storyline, especially given the timing after the Vietnam War. And very believable. The previews I have seen makes a mockery of what Magnum represented.

Not to mention that Tom Selleck had the best legs on television. That just shouldn't be messed with.

My wife is a Jay Hernandez fan, so she has no problem with this remake.

Aside from Hawaii 5-0, which has done quite well in the ratings and had a long run... how many of these reboots have been ratings winners and lasted? I know MacGyver has done ok, but nothing special and it seems it may not make it much longer. The Odd Couple reboot was gone quite quickly, despite having a big name star in Matthew Perry. The 24 reboot died after just one season. I am sure there have been others in recent years. Hollywood keeps trying but it seems matching the quality of the original is generally really hard to do.

Now, bringing back the original cast is a whole different story. The hit rate on shows like that seems better. Roseanne was working really well and I suspect The Connors will do ok even without the original star. Will and Grace did good ratings. There's talk of bringing back 30 Rock for a limited run, which would be fun.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The 24 reboot died after just one season.
    I never watched the original, but wasn’t the idea of each season to be self contained?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Aside from Hawaii 5-0, which has done quite well in the ratings and had a long run... how many of these reboots have been ratings winners and lasted? I know MacGyver has done ok, but nothing special and it seems it may not make it much longer. The Odd Couple reboot was gone quite quickly, despite having a big name star in Matthew Perry. The 24 reboot died after just one season. I am sure there have been others in recent years. Hollywood keeps trying but it seems matching the quality of the original is generally really hard to do.

Now, bringing back the original cast is a whole different story. The hit rate on shows like that seems better. Roseanne was working really well and I suspect The Connors will do ok even without the original star. Will and Grace did good ratings. There's talk of bringing back 30 Rock for a limited run, which would be fun.
    Murphy Brown should be interesting.

Just as long as we don't get a My Mother the Car reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    How about Mister Ed? Willlllll-burrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    How about Mister Ed? Willlllll-burrrrrr
    Of course, of course.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Freshman year - a guy in my dorm insisted there was such a show and couldn't believe I hadn't heard of it. I should try to find an episode somewhere to watch. Was this how they got the idea for Kit in Knight Rider?