Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

FB: Duke 34, Army 14

Somebody had to do it! So go.
    Last edited by Bob Green; 08-24-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peteandpete View Post
    Somebody had to do it! So go.
    Big test -- the Cadets kicked our butt last year, leading 21-10 at the half en route to a 21-16 victory. The loss seemed to wake us up, and we finished the season with three wins.

Are we ripe for another upset? I wouldn't rule it out. The service academies play with a great deal of emotion, and I anticipate a struggle next Friday.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

You can say that again.

;-)

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Big test -- the Cadets kicked our butt last year, leading 21-10 at the half en route to a 21-16 victory. The loss seemed to wake us up, and we finished the season with three wins.

Are we ripe for another upset? I wouldn't rule it out. The service academies play with a great deal of emotion, and I anticipate a struggle next Friday.
    Agree that the service academies will give maximum effort.
    why I like Duke next Friday:
    A healthy Daniel Jones will be playing this time. It was a pathetically anemic offense that Army saw last year.

The Duke defense plays really well against the triple option, and Army will be moving on without Ahmad Bradshaw.

I like Duke BIG in this one.

FWIW, a preview predicting Duke 27-17 but not covering a 13.5 point spread:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/college...me-preview/amp

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You can say that again.

;-)
    Well, I did change a period to a question mark!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I have known you to be punctual, although I thought that meant something different . . . .

This should be a great test of our defense, and would love to see Humphreys and Giles-Harris start racking up the tackle stats.

Get ahead, make Army have to start passing, wear 'em down. Let's Go DUKE!!!!!

Army has a new QB and three or four (depending on how you look at it) new OL...13.5 pt favorites seems about right, game is in Derm, lads should be looking for a bit of payback (as will NW in Evanston the following week). Bottom line: struggling in this game will not be a good omen...not that Army is horrible, they' not, but they are uni-dimensional and frankly Duke has a lot more athletes. No excuses.

And added scores!!

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    No excuses.
    Absolutely! The team needs to make a statement Friday night. I'm glad we are starting the season with a real opponent this year instead of NCCU. The last time was Tulane in 2015.

Vegas has Duke favored by 13.5 points with the Over/Under at 46. I say Duke covers with a 31 - 17 victory.

This blog contains some information on Army practice and scrimmages.
    Bob Green

Duke's been in full Army prep mode for a week now. Held a controlled scrimmage Wednesday night going against the Army scout defense and offense.

Here's some fresh content on the Blue Devils offense and the quest to improve the passing game. Some intel on the WRs, looking at the three freshmen. Bobo is the leader among the group but Smith and Garner are opening eyes too

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...217244045.html

Quote Originally Posted by swiseman View Post
    Duke's been in full Army prep mode for a week now. Held a controlled scrimmage Wednesday night going against the Army scout defense and offense.

Here's some fresh content on the Blue Devils offense and the quest to improve the passing game. Some intel on the WRs, looking at the three freshmen. Bobo is the leader among the group but Smith and Garner are opening eyes too

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/...217244045.html
    Thanks again for sharing, Steve! More good info for us to digest.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

From a few weeks ago, another Duke-Army preview from College Football News: https://collegefootballnews.com/2018...n-game-preview

Their prediction: Duke 27, Army 17

As stated above, we want to set a tone for the season. Control both lines, establish our run, be efficient in our passing game, and take control of the game. Let's not let Army feel like they have a chance at the upset. Let's keep turnovers and mistakes to a minimum, play our game, get a lead, and make them have to catch up. Unless their new quarterback is an undiscovered gem, i don't anticipate us being surprised by anything Army throws at us. Let's take care of business and get this training running. Can't wait.

I want to see us establish the running the game by dominating in the trenches and opening up some nice holes for Mr. Brown, Deon Jackson, and Co. Also, I really want (and expect) to see the receivers step up their game starting with Army. Last but certainly not least, I hope our punt and kickoff returns are much improved. I hope that's not asking for too much...I don't think it is.

I'm so psyched for this home opener and night game against a more formidable opponent. Nothing against our Bull City neighbors NCCU, but it's definitely to our advantage to be a bit more battle hardened after the first game. Go Blue Devils!

Team Captains

Johnathan Lloyd, Ben Humphreys, Joe Giles-Harris and Daniel Jones:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200

Duke head football coach David Cutcliffe announced Friday the naming of Joe Giles-Harris, Ben Humphreys, Daniel Jones and Johnathan Lloyd as team captains for the 2018 season. The four returning lettermen were elected by their teammates.
    Bob Green

Battle-hardened team

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    I want to see us establish the running the game by dominating in the trenches and opening up some nice holes for Mr. Brown, Deon Jackson, and Co. Also, I really want (and expect) to see the receivers step up their game starting with Army. Last but certainly not least, I hope our punt and kickoff returns are much improved. I hope that's not asking for too much...I don't think it is.

I'm so psyched for this home opener and night game against a more formidable opponent. Nothing against our Bull City neighbors NCCU, but it's definitely to our advantage to be a bit more battle hardened after the first game. Go Blue Devils!
    FWIW, the opponent for Duke's homecoming game on Sept 22nd is. . .NCCU.

k

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Johnathan Lloyd, Ben Humphreys, Joe Giles-Harris and Daniel Jones:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.db...DB_OEM_ID=4200
    Love these choices. Stay healthy guys.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

So we got our tickets for the "Durham Special" but don't see anything referencing the meal voucher...does anyone have any insight?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    So we got our tickets for the "Durham Special" but don't see anything referencing the meal voucher...does anyone have any insight?
    To answer my own question, the vouchers can be picked up at will call before the game.

Army names Kelvin Hopkins starting QB:

http://blogs.hudsonvalley.com/west-point-army-football/

Hopkins get nod: Monken said junior quarterback Kelvin Hopkins will start in the season opener at Duke Friday. “He’s the guy,” Monken said. “He’s made some mistakes. He’s going to be some more as he plays and as he gets accustomed to being the guy. He’s taken care of the ball pretty well. We’re trying to get him to not to force any throws. He’s got a really good arm and he’s got to just take care of the ball and eliminate negative yardage plays. Part of that is if he’s going to throw it, he’s got to get rid it and not throw it to the other team and not get sacked.”
    Bob Green