Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine

Bolden doesn't start in Montreal: banged-up or just in the dog house?

Obviously Marques was one of the few dim spots from the games in Canada leading up to today. Now, an exhibition against a smaller team is never the ideal situation for a pure center... but from my perspective from (almost) courtside in Mississauga, he seemed like one of the few players not giving max effort. It appeared as if not getting real post touches offensively was affecting his defense, especially compared to guys like Jack White and Vrank who were diving for loose balls, and Barrett and Williamson still giving max effort on D. The fact that he didn't play in the second half (I believe) on Friday, and now isn't starting today, makes me thing something is up. Has there been any news/discussion on this that might've gotten lost in the other threads regarding a potential injury that might explain this? Or is he just in the dog house from three sub-par halves of basketball? Has K said anything on Marques?
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Well, looks like the answer might have just been "dog-house", because Bolden has entered with around 2 minutes left in the first quarter. Curious to see how he responds to what seems to be a message sent by K in having him not start today after starting the first two games.
    Scott Rich on the front page

Trinity BS 2012; University of Michigan PhD 2018
    Duke Chronicle, Sports Online Editor: 2010-2012
    K-Ville Blue Tenting 2009-2012

Unofficial Brian Zoubek Biographer
    If you have questions about Michigan Basketball/Football, I'm your man!

Quote Originally Posted by scottdude8 View Post
    Well, looks like the answer might have just been "dog-house", because Bolden has entered with around 2 minutes left in the first quarter. Curious to see how he responds to what seems to be a message sent by K in having him not start today after starting the first two games.
    He’s not been in long but he still seems nearly invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    He’s not been in long but he still seems nearly invisible.
    But his +/- was great😀

For the record, K doesn't have a dog house.

Just ask him.

Or preferably, don't ask him.

The easiest way to get into K's doghouse is to ask him about his doghouse.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Just ask him.

the positions his teams don't have also include the doghouse which doesn't exist...

I feel absolutely terrible about Marquis. Like everyone here, I so would like to see him succeed. And not for the benefit of the team, but for himself.

I did see him play last week and I have serious questions whether he will get meaningful minutes this year. And I have serious questions whether he can be a legitimate and successful post player. With no identifiable competition at the centre spot to begin this year, I had hoped that the door was wide open. But after two exhibition games, against very poor competition, the prospects for Marquis this year already look bleak. Maybe it is not fair to jump to this conclusion so early, but I am not getting a good feeling about where this is going for Marquis.

While I do not see a transfer at this stage as necessarily useful to him, I wonder if he’s thinking about stepping away and trying to transfer. I anticipate that he may burn this year with little success - although I have doubt that he will prove to be very successful elsewhere. He may simply be an example of a kid that was overrated coming out of high school.

But regardless, I really do feel bad as I hate to see any of these kids hang in there and not obtain the success that they desire.

It doesn't make sense for him to transfer. He can get his Duke degree and then graduate transfer without having to lose a year.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

Just ask him.

Oh, and don’t grade his players.

Quote Originally Posted by 1991 duke law View Post
    I feel absolutely terrible about Marquis. Like everyone here, I so would like to see him succeed. And not for the benefit of the team, but for himself.

I did see him play last week and I have serious questions whether he will get meaningful minutes this year. And I have serious questions whether he can be a legitimate and successful post player. With no identifiable competition at the centre spot to begin this year, I had hoped that the door was wide open. But after two exhibition games, against very poor competition, the prospects for Marquis this year already look bleak. Maybe it is not fair to jump to this conclusion so early, but I am not getting a good feeling about where this is going for Marquis.

While I do not see a transfer at this stage as necessarily useful to him, I wonder if he’s thinking about stepping away and trying to transfer. I anticipate that he may burn this year with little success - although I have doubt that he will prove to be very successful elsewhere. He may simply be an example of a kid that was overrated coming out of high school.

But regardless, I really do feel bad as I hate to see any of these kids hang in there and not obtain the success that they desire.
    Yeah, agree with everything you said.

One of our posters, a professor or perhaps librarian at Duke, previously posted that she knew Marquis and he was a good young man. I'm happy to hear that.

I wish the best for him. He just doesn't seem to have the skills or saavy to thrive in big time basketball. I will gladly be wrong on this and hope he comes on strong in the regular season.

For whatever it is worth, my daughter and I ran into Marquis his freshman year. He was with Harry. Now Harry may be the nicest kid I have ever met. Such a polite young gentleman. But Marquis was also very nice. Much to my daughter’s chagrin – who is the same age as both of them but two feet shorter - I lectured both of them on persistence and overcoming obstacles. Notwithstanding my daughter telling me to stop, Harry admonished her that he was happy to listen and said thank you. And then they both graciously took a photo with my daughter.

I really hope that Marquis finds success. And I hope that Harry – the nicest kid in the NBA – grows and develops and crushes it.

For whatever it is worth, my daughter and I ran into Marquis his freshman year. He was with Harry. Now Harry may be the nicest kid I have ever met. Such a polite young gentleman. But Marquis was also very nice. Much to my daughter’s chagrin – who is the same age as both of them but two feet shorter - I lectured both of them on persistence and overcoming obstacles. Notwithstanding my daughter telling me to stop, Harry admonished her that he was happy to listen and said thank you. And then they both graciously took a photo with my daughter.

I really hope that Marquis finds success. And I hope that Harry – the nicest kid in the NBA – grows and develops and crushes it.
    Probably good to spell his name right if you’re going to take on the task of lecturing him.

There's no question in my mind that Bolden has the raw tools to be a top-level NCAA center.

But there's something that hasn't clicked yet. Something in the area of focus, drive, concentration, feel for the game.

It's certainly premature, IMO, to write him off, for the season or his Duke career. But I think it is fair to suggest that all parties are still trying to figure out how to best fit together the pieces of the puzzle.

As an aside, it's never once occurred to me to lecture any college athlete on any aspect of their development, athletic or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Probably good to spell his name right if you’re going to take on the task of lecturing him.
    Oddly enough, when I spoke with him he did not ask how I spell his name. Perhaps when you speak with him next time, you can spell it out. I tend not to spell out the words I speak when chatting with someone.

Bolden, when the cameras showed close-up shots, just didn't look interested. His body language was not positive either. I think that everyone goes through ups and downs, so hopefully he's just working through something and will turn the corner during the season. But if something positive doesn't happen between now and November, I could see him deciding to sit out.

Oddly enough, when I spoke with him he did not ask how I spell his name. Perhaps when you speak with him next time, you can spell it out. I tend not to spell out the words I speak when chatting with someone.
    Marques isn't in the Bluebook, so why bother learning how to spell it?

Not sure there's even much motivation to take from this week it was so bad, so hopefully he just moves on and starts preseason like this never happened.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by bluenorth View Post
    Bolden, when the cameras showed close-up shots, just didn't look interested. His body language was not positive either. I think that everyone goes through ups and downs, so hopefully he's just working through something and will turn the corner during the season. But if something positive doesn't happen between now and November, I could see him deciding to sit out.
    You could look at the bench during the Miami game from a couple years ago when he was an absolute monster, and you would have said the same thing. He's just not that type of dude to show tons of emotion, no matter what. Not a ton to be gleaned from it regarding his attitude/how he's feeling from how he acts on the bench, just gotta hope he plays better.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by bluenorth View Post
    Hard to know what a kid's body language and facial expressions mean. I don't disagree with you but this kid has always been a bit inscrutable. I don't know whether we are seeing frustration, disappointment, fear, failure, or anger in his demeanor. I wish him well. I think Duke needs him to succeed this year.

I never played organized high school or college basketball. What does a coach do to motivate a young man in these circumstances? I am sure that he wants to succeed more than anything in the world – what does the coaching staff do to push his buttons to attempt to get movement in the right direction?

I never played organized high school or college basketball. What does a coach do to motivate a young man in these circumstances? I am sure that he wants to succeed more than anything in the world – what does the coaching staff do to push his buttons to attempt to get movement in the right direction?
    Player by player stuff. Everyone is different—none of us know what Bolden needs, looks like K's not sure yet either.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams