Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Life of Pie

FWIW, I am enjoying the thread over on IC discussing why Little didn’t start in the last exhibition game and only grabbed two rebounds, and why he should come off the bench tonight in favor of Cam Johnson.

Lost in all of our fireworks from yesterday was a quiet 7 point, 2 rebound effort in 20 minutes off the bench for Little. The manner in which these two programs develop one and done players is astounding. Every major basketball analyst I've read/heard says that Little is right up there with our big three in terms of talent. Some say he is in play for the #1 pick. Perhaps those are pundits trying to be contrarian, but the consensus is that he is at least comparable. Maybe he's a notch below Barrett, but he's equal to Zion and Reddish. Yet our guys are scoring 20-30 points apiece against Kentucky while Little is being hidden on the bench.

If Little and Cam Reddish swapped teams, what do you think would happen? Little would have improved his jump shot since arriving in June and would be a featured player scoring 20+ points a game, while Reddish would be benched in favor of Cameron Johnson and probably asked to camp out in the post as a second big.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Lost in all of our fireworks from yesterday was a quiet 7 point, 2 rebound effort in 20 minutes off the bench for Little. The manner in which these two programs develop one and done players is astounding. Every major basketball analyst I've read/heard says that Little is right up there with our big three in terms of talent. Some say he is in play for the #1 pick. Perhaps those are pundits trying to be contrarian, but the consensus is that he is at least comparable. Maybe he's a notch below Barrett, but he's equal to Zion and Reddish. Yet our guys are scoring 20-30 points apiece against Kentucky while Little is being hidden on the bench.

If Little and Cam Reddish swapped teams, what do you think would happen? Little would have improved his jump shot since arriving in June and would be a featured player scoring 20+ points a game, while Reddish would be benched in favor of Cameron Johnson and probably asked to camp out in the post as a second big.
    I just hope Vernon Carey Jr. And Cole Anthony are paying attention...and watched both games last night! Oh I forgot Boogie Ellis - hope he watched too!
    Last edited by SavDukeGrad; 11-07-2018 at 10:51 PM.

As I wrote below at the time, you're going to come way closer to winning this bet than most assumed.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I'm with you in spirit on this bet for sure. Whereas most probably feel like you have a 5% shot at this, I think it's more like 30-40%.

A detailed scouting breakdown of Little’s struggles. Money quote: “‘They don’t use him the right way,’ offered one Eastern Conference scout.”

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/11/30/na...lenge-scouting

The Athletic has a deep dive on Little and his early struggles. It’s a pay article so I won’t quote, but two key points that I took away are that a.) yes his limited minutes and the fact that he’s not starting are hurting Roy in recruiting circles b.) Roy is not using him in a way that represents his role at the next level.

There’s a lot more to the article, which I highly recommend. If you don’t have a subscription to the Athletic, ask Santa for one or buy yourself an early Christmas present, it’s totally worth it.

Rob Dauster on the most recent NBC college basketball podcast said that Little is just lost on defense and has no clue what he’s doing. Said he understands why Roy doesn’t play him, and that Little needs to “pull a Harrison Barnes” and come back for a second year otherwise he’ll spend next season wasting away in the G league. Also said that coming to UNC was a terrible decision for him, Arizona or Miami would have been better fits.

This is going to be the best tasting pie I’ve ever had! I only wish I had made the bet with a UNC fan 8-)

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Rob Dauster on the most recent NBC college basketball podcast said that Little is just lost on defense and has no clue what he’s doing. Said he understands why Roy doesn’t play him, and that Little needs to “pull a Harrison Barnes” and come back for a second year otherwise he’ll spend next season wasting away in the G league. Also said that coming to UNC was a terrible decision for him, Arizona or Miami would have been better fits.

This is going to be the best tasting pie I’ve ever had! I only wish I had made the bet with a UNC fan 8-)
    Eh, I still very much expect him to go pro. No reason to think Roy will use him right next year either. And the fact that scouts believe he is being used incorrectly is all he needs to stay lottery bound.

Bumping this old thread in hopes of catching people's attention. I am now offering a pie to the winner of the DBR Bracket Challenge (see other thread here). You have about three hours to get your picks in.