Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life of Pie

Life of Pie

We've got a couple months until C2C, which feels like forever now that we've gotten a taste of Duke basketball. It's time to get some pie bets going! There were a few suggested in some of the other threads but many involved betting against our team, which of course met with resistance. So in honor of my complete and utter disdain for our friends down the road, I'll suggest a pie bet that Nassir Little does not go OAD this year. In other words, if he leaves for the NBA after one year, you win the bet. If he returns to school, I win the bet. If any of the following scenarios happen, we will call it a draw:

- he declares for the draft but goes undrafted
    - he leaves school for any other reason
    - he suffers a SEVERE injury that causes him to come back (there's some ambiguity in how we would define this, but I'm game to discuss if it actually happens)

Any takers?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    We've got a couple months until C2C, which feels like forever now that we've gotten a taste of Duke basketball. It's time to get some pie bets going! There were a few suggested in some of the other threads but many involved betting against our team, which of course met with resistance. So in honor of my complete and utter disdain for our friends down the road, I'll suggest a pie bet that Nassir Little does not go OAD this year. In other words, if he leaves for the NBA after one year, you win the bet. If he returns to school, I win the bet. If any of the following scenarios happen, we will call it a draw:

- he suffers a SEVERE injury that causes him to come back (there's some ambiguity in how we would define this, but I'm game to discuss if it actually happens)

Any takers?
    Your terms are too generous. For example, I don't understand why the bolded wouldn't be a win for you.

I assume the operating theory behind this bet is that "Roy/UNC harms a recruit's draft stock, and highly-rated recruits would be advised to go elsewhere." (There is much-discussed anecdotal evidence of this in the way UNC tends to keep RSCI top-10 recruits around longer than other programs.) If so, then if Little declares but goes undrafted, that should be a win for you.

Furthermore, I would just state the bet like this: If Nassir Little is a first-round draft pick in the 2019 NBA draft, UrinalCake loses a pie. Otherwise, UrinalCake wins a pie.

No self-respecting UNC should turn down this bet considering Little is a consensus top-5 draft pick in early NBA mocks. I mean, either UNC fans believe the narrative or they don't. Which is it?

Any takers?
    Nassir Little was one of the top 5 players in this class- the McDonalds AA MVP. UNC needs his athleticism and he should get plenty of playing time. I am close to taking this bet.

I'm in the thought process that the NBA drafts on potential. Little has potential. But I'm leaning towards Fats giving him a car, grades, and a personality. I'm also close to a decision. I've narrowed my list to 5 schools of thought !

I値l take the bet on the original terms (not the Troublemaker modifications)

I値l take the bet. Little is a top 3 talent.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I assume the operating theory behind this bet is that "Roy/UNC harms a recruit's draft stock, and highly-rated recruits would be advised to go elsewhere." ... If so, then if Little declares but goes undrafted, that should be a win for you.
    You are correct that the basis of this bet is my belief that Roy does not develop players for the NBA quickly. I considered drafting the bet under the terms you described, but what swung it for me was Trevon Duval. We consider him to be a OAD player even though he went undrafted. If he goes on to become a star in the NBA, then Duke fans will take credit for "developing" him. So in fairness, I'd have to say that if the same thing happens to Little then I'll have to consider him a OAD player as well. But for the sake of the bet a draw seems fair. I thought about putting in stipulations like if he signs a two-way contract but decided that would all be too complicated.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    I値l take the bet on the original terms (not the Troublemaker modifications)
    Looks like you got in first so I'll call it a handshake and we are on!

I would take that bet in a heartbeat. Not that it's the best gauge of a player, but Nassir Little completely dominated the parts of the McDonald's AA game I watched. He is legit good... He is easily all-ACC, and a NBA lottery pick.

But it looks like our guys are even better, judging from the first couple of exhibition games.

Harrison Barnes, James Michael MacAdoo, and Jon Henson were top-5 players. Justin Jackson was top-10 and co-MVP of the McD AA game. Ed Davis was top-10. PJ Hairston, Reggie Bullock, Isaiah Hicks all top-15. None of these guys went OAD under Roy.

Looks like you got in first so I'll call it a handshake and we are on!
    UrinalCake I would be absolutely shocked if you win this bet. I think Little goes OAD and easily gets drafted.

So that bodes well for you!

Good luck to both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    UrinalCake I would be absolutely shocked if you win this bet. I think Little goes OAD and easily gets drafted.

So that bodes well for you!

Good luck to both of you.
    I'd bet Little goes top 7. I'd easily bet he goes before at least one of our 3 rockstars.

He's the best defender of the Duke/Kerlina frosh and has an incredible motor like RJ and Zion. He just isn't as offensively polished.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

I realize that the odds are not in my favor, but that痴 what makes this bet so fun (for me). Every time Little has a bad game I値l enjoy it just a little more than I would have otherwise.

I realize that the odds are not in my favor, but that痴 what makes this bet so fun (for me). Every time Little has a bad game I値l enjoy it just a little more than I would have otherwise.
    You have a shot at winning this. Roy may not give Little that many minutes, and we he does, Little must defer to blue mouth guard. At season end, Roy tells him he needs another year.

I realize that the odds are not in my favor, but that’s what makes this bet so fun (for me). Every time Little has a bad game I’ll enjoy it just a little more than I would have otherwise.
    I'm with you in spirit on this bet for sure. Whereas most probably feel like you have a 5% shot at this, I think it's more like 30-40%. I'm a believer in the narrative, in other words, and I was actually going to offer UNC fans like Wheat a similar bet. But, in the end, I decided against it because:

(1) It's supposed to be a weak draft. I could see Little falling out of the lottery but not the first round. (With that said, that's not mutually exclusive with you winning. I give you 30-40% because one could easily imagine a Little that's projected to be drafted in the 20s returning to school to [at least in his mind] build up his draft stock.)

(2) The "observer effect." Roy and UNC know that the world of recruiting is watching what happens with Little. The reputation of draft-stock-sinking / draft-delaying is out there. And the UNC staff knows that if they want to sign top-5 recruits like Little in the future, they better do everything in their power to at least make him a lottery pick after this season. If we could somehow trick Roy and UNC into not knowing about their reputation, I think you would win this pie. But, as in some scientific experiments, the observers change the behavior of the subject being studied.

I guess my pie win from Wheat might have been his swan song on DBR?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I guess my pie win from Wheat might have been his swan song on DBR?
    Is he still on "vacation".

Nassir Little did not receive a vote for ACC ROY. It is being reported that UNC did not submit his name for the award. So there are a few possibilities here:

- the report is incorrect, Little was eligible but nobody voted for him
    - Roy is trying to hide Little so that he値l stay for more than one year
    - UNC is run by a bunch of incompetent morons

Either way, my chances at the pie got bumped up just a smidge.

Nassir Little did not receive a vote for ACC ROY. It is being reported that UNC did not submit his name for the award. So there are a few possibilities here:

- the report is incorrect, Little was eligible but nobody voted for him
    - UNC is run by a bunch of incompetent morons

Either way, my chances at the pie got bumped up just a smidge.
    Easy response to all of the above:

ROY KNEW

(Now, where have I seen that NC license plate before...)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Easy response to all of the above:

ROY KNEW

(Now, where have I seen that NC license plate before...)
    Totally. Roy hides lots.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Totally. Roy hides lots.
    I vaguely recall a couple years ago, another UNC player was never submitted for one of the ACC postseason awards. Might have been Pinson or Berry, I can稚 remember. Seems to be a habit around there.