Thread: Silent Sam

Silent Sam

Silent Sam on the UNC campus was taken down by protestors last night - I saw this on the national news this morning. I am posting this solely to inform others of what happened, as many people who live outside the triangle might not be aware. I am not posting it to pass judgment in favor of or against what took place. I would request that in the spirit of the Off Topic Board, others also refrain from comment.

https://abc11.com/protesters-knock-d...-1913/4012908/

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Silent Sam on the UNC campus was taken down by protestors last night - I saw this on the national news this morning. I am posting this solely to inform others of what happened, as many people who live outside the triangle might not be aware. I am not posting it to pass judgment in favor of or against what took place. I would request that in the spirit of the Off Topic Board, others also refrain from comment.

We will be Silent DBR.
    ~rthomas

Definitely ripe for PPB material, but also an intriguing event in and of itself. Far from surprising.

a galvanizing moment on the hump.....
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Interesting.

I should note that, IIRC, there is a real dispute about the origin of the moniker. Something about North Carolina soldiers during the Civil War holding their ground as if they had tar on them. Not saying either is right or wrong, just noting that I don't think the origin is as clear as the article suggests it is.

Regardless, though, I would be happy to see them change their names. Perhaps the "Lying, Cheating, Scheming, Thieving Weasel-Bastards from Chapel Hill" is still an unregistered trademark.

(Never heard of Silent Sam until I saw this last night, but I have been out of the Triangle for many decades by now)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Perhaps the "Lying, Cheating, Scheming, Thieving Weasel-Bastards from Chapel Hill" is still an unregistered trademark.
    That is harder to yell back and forth across a stadium. Perhaps just "Lying Cheaters". That totally works.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That is harder to yell back and forth across a stadium. Perhaps just "Lying Cheaters". That totally works.
    Loach* works for me. FULLSIZE-loach.jpg

*Lying, Obfuscating, annoying, cheating heels

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Interesting.

I should note that, IIRC, there is a real dispute about the origin of the moniker. Something about North Carolina soldiers during the Civil War holding their ground as if they had tar on them. Not saying either is right or wrong, just noting that I don't think the origin is as clear as the article suggests it is.

Regardless, though, I would be happy to see them change their names. Perhaps the "Lying, Cheating, Scheming, Thieving Weasel-Bastards from Chapel Hill" is still an unregistered trademark.

(Never heard of Silent Sam until I saw this last night, but I have been out of the Triangle for many decades by now)
    I've heard that too. Also heard that the only way to get the NC boys to fight was to put tar on their feet.

I've also read/heard that NC sent the most number of troops to the army but also had the most deserters.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    I've also read/heard that NC sent the most number of troops to the army but also had the most deserters.
    I'd assume that some law of ratios makes that true.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Now known as Supine Sam

"I've also read/heard that NC sent the most number of troops to the army but also had the most deserters."
    Just recently read James McPherson's epic Battle Cry of Freedom and he states that. This book is the very best 1 volume study of the Civil War. Highly recommended.

Did the students actually pull it down, or did their tutors do it for them?
    If the statue hadn't come down, would the students still receive credit for toppling a statue?

Showing my age

When I attended Duke, while the dinosaur footprints were still drying, both Duke and unc had similar "stories" about on-campus statues.

One related to Silent Sam.

The other related to the seated statue of WB Duke on East Campus.

Companion stories go thus: If a young female student of unquestioned virtue were to walk in front of either statue, Silent Sam would fire his rifle or WB Duke would stand up and politely bow.

Yes, female students at the time often took the long way around the statues to avoid a potentially embarrassing situation.

(Life was much more simple then, you know!)

k

I would request that in the spirit of the Off Topic Board, others also refrain from comment.
    With the DBR rules in mind, I think I can say, without fear of contradiction, that among the remarkable news items of the last day, this is certainly one of them.

The NC troops did desert in large numbers, when it became apparent Sherman was headed to NC. They left to protect their families from the oncoming juggernaut.
    NC troops were among Lee's most trusted soldiers, and were in front at Pickett's Charge (on the left). They played a major role at Chancellorsville, even though an over eager battalion fired on Stonewall Jackson, who was reconnoitering at night in front of his lines. The wound would take his life several days later.
    NC troops called Virginians "sore backs", because they claimed they had to run over the Virginians to get at the Yankees.
    As for the birth of the name, no one knows for sure, but it appears to be from the tar and pitch made from our numerous pine trees we made at that time.
    Lee himself said after hearing Pettigrew's boys had beaten back a Union assault, "God bless the Tar Heel Boys".

Quote Originally Posted by WV_Iron_Duke View Post
    "I've also read/heard that NC sent the most number of troops to the army but also had the most deserters."
    Just recently read James McPherson's epic Battle Cry of Freedom and he states that. This book is the very best 1 volume study of the Civil War. Highly recommended.
    I agree, that's the best single book history of the Civil War I have ever read.
    Tom Mac

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Next up should be the rams club, who have not so silently run that institution from behind their toilet-water-blue curtain and enabled two decades (and counting?) of outright exploitation of young, disproportionately African American, athletes. At uNCheat, they can’t even argue that they traded a free education for these athlete’s commitment to their respective sports. Easily the most disgusting aspect of the cheating and still surprises me that few have taken the “school” to task over this.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block