Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Team Green headed to the weekend with all five golfers:

Justin Thomas: -6
    Jason Day: -5
    Webb Simpson: -5
    Bubba Watson: -4
    Jordan Spieth: -2
    Bob Green

Koepka/DJ/Thomas looking like a really smart play so far.

I am more or less pleased so far. Koepka, Cantlay, and Day have played well. Woods has hit the ball well but has missed his putts. My one guy who won’t play the weekend (Rose) is at least pretty sure to remain eligible for all four events. Cantlay and Woods were the only iffy plays, so them getting points will help.

Still, early evidence suggests that just picking those top 3 guys was a compelling strategy.

I picked Koepka, Justin T., Molinaro and Tiger. My inspiration was "Molinari!!" Arguably played the best golf of anyone this summer -- got him! Winner! Alas, missed the cut. Next week!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I picked Koepka, Justin T., Molinaro and Tiger. My inspiration was "Molinari!!" Arguably played the best golf of anyone this summer -- got him! Winner! Alas, missed the cut. Next week!
    A solid foursome for sure. The nice thing about this format is that a big key is having guys around for all four events. So like me, your missed cut guy is at least pretty safe to be in all four events. That is half the battle!

Jordan Spieth is off to a rough start with a bogey on #3 and a double bogey on #4.
    Bob Green

DeChambeau is making me look good. Justin Thomas and Jordan Spieth are hanging in. Tiger gets a small payday, Rose didn't make the cut.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

DeChambeau has 0 personality. He is boring.

Spieth with a bogey on #6 to go +4 on the day.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    DeChambeau has 0 personality. He is boring.
    Maybe so, but his Natural Golf-type swing is certainly unique.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Well, I am guessing whomever picked Finau is the early leader. Though the fact that I don’t think anyone picked the winner this week means this round of the FedEx is going to wind up being moot.

Edit: whoops, killerleft picked DeChambeau!

Tr
    Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Well, I am guessing whomever picked Finau is the early leader. Though the fact that I don’t think anyone picked the winner this week means this round of the FedEx is going to wind up being moot.

Edit: whoops, killerleft picked DeChambeau!
    I needed a 4-point guy after deciding to pick Tiger Woods. DeChambeau's a disciple of the Natural Golf swing, and a lot of the golf analysts try to rationalize away his swing as being something else. Back shoulder much lower at address, one-piece rigid takeaway, one-plane swing, clubs the same length, and a grip using the palms more than the fingers. If it quacks like a duck...

I have no idea if that swing is better than the traditional one, but I can see where it would be easier to repeat.

Unaudited Results - Northern Trust Open

Congratulations to myself?

Proving you don't necessarily need to pick the winner to win - here are the unaudited results. I edged killerleft - who was the only one to pick DeChambeau - by having 5 guys in the top 10 and 5 in the top 15. If I've miscalculated anything, I'm sure someone will let me know. We're back at it this week with round 2 of the playoffs - the Dell Championship in Boston (Fri. - Mon.).

mr. synellinden - 2,058,750
    killerleft - 1,986,900
    cato - 1,627,560
    tbyers11 - 1,486,260
    Tripping William - 1,344,240
    HouseP - 720,000
    CDu - 655,560
    mkirsh - 655,560
    Rich - 592,560
    sagegrouse - 554,400
    Bob Green - 540,960
    Rasputin - 495,720
    CameronBornandBred - 398,700
    Jason Evans - 363,750
    curtis325 - 252,510
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post

Proving you don't necessarily need to pick the winner to win - here are the unaudited results. I edged killerleft - who was the only one to pick DeChambeau - by having 5 guys in the top 10 and 5 in the top 15. If I've miscalculated anything, I'm sure someone will let me know. We're back at it this week with round 2 of the playoffs - the Dell Championship in Boston (Fri. - Mon.).

killerleft - 1,986,900
    cato - 1,627,560
    tbyers11 - 1,486,260
    HouseP - 720,000
    CDu - 655,560
    mkirsh - 655,560
    Rich - 592,560
    sagegrouse - 554,400
    Bob Green - 540,960
    Rasputin - 495,720
    Jason Evans - 363,750
    curtis325 - 252,510
    As my eight year old daughter would say, “First is the worst, second is the best, third is the one with the treasure chest.”

I have yet to unpack this rhyme entirely, always getting hung up on the relative values of second and third, but for now I will just enjoy my treasure.

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Tr

I needed a 4-point guy after deciding to pick Tiger Woods. DeChambeau's a disciple of the Natural Golf swing, and a lot of the golf analysts try to rationalize away his swing as being something else. Back shoulder much lower at address, one-piece rigid takeaway, one-plane swing, clubs the same length, and a grip using the palms more than the fingers. If it quacks like a duck...

I have no idea if that swing is better than the traditional one, but I can see where it would be easier to repeat.
    I'll be any number of pies that he doesn't beat Snead's win record nor come close to Tiger or Jack or Arnie. And I still think he is boring.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post

killerleft - 1,986,900
    cato - 1,627,560
    tbyers11 - 1,486,260
    HouseP - 720,000
    CDu - 655,560
    mkirsh - 655,560
    Rich - 592,560
    sagegrouse - 554,400
    Bob Green - 540,960
    Rasputin - 495,720
    Jason Evans - 363,750
    curtis325 - 252,510
    As a first-time player, what do these numbers represent? Prize money in last weekend's tournament?
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As a first-time player, what do these numbers represent? Prize money in last weekend's tournament?
    Yes, total prize money won by your team.

Going forward we’ll have weekly and cumulative totals.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I'll be any number of pies that he doesn't beat Snead's win record nor come close to Tiger or Jack or Arnie. And I still think he is boring.
    Everybody is wanting that pie! Look, I just ended up picking Bryson because he cost four points and I like that he's using a different swing and has succeeded with it. There are probably golf instructors all over the world hoping he doesn't have a breakout career. Bad for business if a good number of youngsters start out with the Natural Golf swing. If it really IS more repeatable, of course. And if they can find an instructor to teach them.

He may have been giddy, but DeChambeau seemed quite personable after winning yesterday. Maybe he'll come out of his cocoon, like a butterfly.

There are probably golf instructors all over the world hoping he doesn't have a breakout career. Bad for business if a good number of youngsters start out with the Natural Golf swing.
    But good for those who make personalized golf clubs so they can put you in a set of irons with shafts that are all the same length.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Everybody is wanting that pie! Look, I just ended up picking Bryson because he cost four points and I like that he's using a different swing and has succeeded with it. There are probably golf instructors all over the world hoping he doesn't have a breakout career. Bad for business if a good number of youngsters start out with the Natural Golf swing. If it really IS more repeatable, of course. And if they can find an instructor to teach them.

He may have been giddy, but DeChambeau seemed quite personable after winning yesterday. Maybe he'll come out of his cocoon, like a butterfly.

While golf instructors may fret, golf club manufacturers will celebrate. All of his irons are the same length -- the length of a seven iron. I could see club production soar.

Kindly,
    Sage
    'My best club is the sand wedge (56 degrees). Should I make all of my clubs that length?'
    Sage Grouse