Duke acquires a new fan

This morning, current professional basketball player Dwyane Wade tweeted the following:

"Those @DukeMBB boys tho 😷🤒🤕. I can’t wait to watch them play all season. My son will be watching @RjBarrett6 very closely all year."

The emojis were variations of "sick."

@DukeMBB responded with "eyes emoji" and then R.J. had his own response:

"We gon put on a show @DwyaneWade"

To which Mr. Wade responded:

"Stay hungry and stay focus fam! Oh and listen to Coach K he knows Alil bit about Alil bit haha"

I thought the past couple of classes with Tatum, Giles, et al. and Carter, Trent Jr., and Bagley III were well known. Barrett and Williamson are on another level. This team is going to have a lot of attention this year. And they might deserve it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBenAkiva View Post
    This morning, current professional basketball player Dwyane Wade tweeted the following:

"Those @DukeMBB boys tho 😷🤒🤕. I can’t wait to watch them play all season. My son will be watching @RjBarrett6 very closely all year."

Recruitable athlete?

Gabrielle Union in Cameron?

The emojis were variations of "sick."

@DukeMBB responded with "eyes emoji" and then R.J. had his own response:

"We gon put on a show @DwyaneWade"

To which Mr. Wade responded:

"Stay hungry and stay focus fam! Oh and listen to Coach K he knows Alil bit about Alil bit haha"

I thought the past couple of classes with Tatum, Giles, et al. and Carter, Trent Jr., and Bagley III were well known. Barrett and Williamson are on another level. This team is going to have a lot of attention this year. And they might deserve it.
    During the interview segment with Jay Bilas, Zion said he has something like 1.4 million Instagram followers, including Chris Brown, Drake, and a number of other celebrities.

So he's kind of a big deal. People know him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has many leather-bound books and his dorm room smells of rich mahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    During the interview segment with Jay Bilas, Zion said he has something like 1.4 million Instagram followers, including Chris Brown, Drake, and a number of other celebrities.

So he's kind of a big deal. People know him. I wouldn't be surprised if he has many leather-bound books and his dorm room smells of rich mahogany.
    Or elderberries.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    Or elderberries.
    That's more likely his father than his dorm room.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Recruitable athlete?

Gabrielle Union in Cameron?
    Would love to see her get the Sonya Curry treatment and for DWade to get The Admiral treatment.

Recruitable athlete?
    I'm guessing he is talking about Zaire Wade, his son who is a 16 year old basketball player. He is class of 2020 and while he is not yet considered a top 100 recruit, he is most certainly going to get plenty of D1 offers. He already took an official visit to Michigan State and supposedly Florida State is also interested. He's a 6-2 PG with really good athleticism.

-Jason "not sure if he is on Duke's radar at all... this article about him playing in the EYBL this past spring does not mention Duke at all" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Will D.Wade be a more often visitor to Cameron that Tony Romo ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pghdukie View Post
    Will D.Wade be a more often visitor to Cameron that Tony Romo ?
    Not likely...not with Romo friend Tom Dundon now owning the Carolina Hurricanes.

Funny thing is...

...RJ's game is very similar to Wade's game: both insanely good at driving, both great scorers, both tough as nails, both mediocre shooters, both very good playmarkers, both great defenders...
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    ...RJ's game is very similar to Wade's game: both insanely good at driving, both great scorers, both tough as nails, both mediocre shooters, both very good playmarkers, both great defenders...
    If he can master D-Wade's mid range game...yikes.

Quote Originally Posted by thedukelamere View Post
    Would love to see her get the Sonya Curry treatment and for DWade to get The Admiral treatment.
    Be careful what you say about Gabrielle Union on the internet, as Mr. Wade takes notice.

FWIW, Zaire Wade plays AAU ball for E1TI, which also features Vernon Carey, Jr. and Scottie Barnes. Coach K has seen Zaire play, although I am not sure that the younger Wade was a focus of his attention.

Be careful what you say about Gabrielle Union on the internet, as Mr. Wade takes notice.

FWIW, Zaire Wade plays AAU ball for E1TI, which also features Vernon Carey, Jr. and Scottie Barnes. Coach K has seen Zaire play, although I am not sure that the younger Wade was a focus of his attention.

Still, we've got 15 scholarships to hand out. A scholarship that gets Gabrielle Union in the stands at Cameron has GOT to be worth it in terms of future recruiting. It would guarantee that just about every recruiting target would take an on-campus visit for a game!

Still, we've got 15 scholarships to hand out. A scholarship that gets Gabrielle Union in the stands at Cameron has GOT to be worth it in terms of future recruiting. It would guarantee that just about every recruiting target would take an on-campus visit for a game!
    I would say it's worked out well with Justin/David Robinson, although we are fortunate that Justin is perfectly fine with playing extremely limited minutes. He's good enough to play a lot of minutes for many other programs. Not sure if Zaire is looking for that type of experience.

But I think we all know Bronny James is the ideal recruit for getting celebrity parents in the stands . . .

Why in God's name would we give Gabrielle Union a scholy instead of just guaranteeing her a walk-on spot? We can save $70K AND get Gabrielle in the stands.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

13 scholarships.
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa