Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASMR anyone?

ASMR anyone?

Just curious.

For the uninitiated, ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, and refers to a pleasant tingling sensation that usually is experienced on the head or back of the neck in response to certain visual, tactile, and especially audio stimuli.

It turns out that apparently a fair number of people experience this reaction in real life, most commonly when getting their hair cut or when somebody whispers in their ear. Some people remember first getting it in grade school when the school nurse would check their head for nits during a head lice outbreak.

To be honest, I never thought I experienced it in real life, beyond the obvious stuff like when people lightly scratch the back of the neck or, when we were kids, where we used to do that thing in which we pretend like we are cracking an egg on top of each other's scalp. I didn't know it had a name and I didn't think much about it. I do remember that certain visuals would be pleasant to me, although I don't remember specifically the tingling or thinking of them as ASMR. There was a commercial on the tv for a local bank that had a short segment that showed somebody riding a surfboard out to catch some waves. It was shot from a GoPro on a neighboring surfboard. I liked the way watching that made me feel, enough so that when I came across it on a DVR'd show I would run it back and watch it a second time.

Anyway, I do traditional wetshaving (straight razors, double edge safety razors, etc.) so I was searching YouTube for instructional videos one time. I came across a shave video that had "ASMR Salon" in the title. I thought that was just the name of the salon, but once I started the video it was clear that something was definitely amiss. It was just weird. I then searched the Wiki for ASMR and learned about it.

After that I watched a few videos. I never tingled, but I found some of them quite relaxing, so I kept watching them now and then. Eventually, although I didn't tingle DURING the videos, I would notice I got that tingling sensation right AFTER I finished watching the videos, which is weird. I'm still not sure I understand that.

Now I sometimes tingle during videos and sometimes not. I listen to them when I'm stressed out and just want to relax. I've found some favorites. I like the people with really good sound quality. The best for that, in my opinion, are Deep Ocean of Sounds and ASMR Surge. I like some of the well known people, especially Gentle Whispering.

I know some of you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, and others probably do and think it's unimaginably weird. Maybe there are others out there who, like me, utilize these videos for specific purposes and enjoy them.

If you have never tried and don't know what I'm talking about, I'd recommend going to Deep Ocean of Sounds and checking out two of his videos. One has the 23 most common triggers, the other has "uncommon triggers." Give them a listen. Yeah, it's strange. Whatever. It will either work or it won't. Maybe you'll find them relaxing, and maybe they can help you when/if you are stressed out or just want to unwind after a hectic day.

Anybody else around here experience ASMR? If so, did/do you notice it in real life, or only when watching/listening to a video?
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Just curious.

For the uninitiated, ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, and refers to a pleasant tingling sensation that usually is experienced on the head or back of the neck in response to certain visual, tactile, and especially audio stimuli.

It turns out that apparently a fair number of people experience this reaction in real life, most commonly when getting their hair cut or when somebody whispers in their ear. Some people remember first getting it in grade school when the school nurse would check their head for nits during a head lice outbreak.

To be honest, I never thought I experienced it in real life, beyond the obvious stuff like when people lightly scratch the back of the neck or, when we were kids, where we used to do that thing in which we pretend like we are cracking an egg on top of each other's scalp. I didn't know it had a name and I didn't think much about it. I do remember that certain visuals would be pleasant to me, although I don't remember specifically the tingling or thinking of them as ASMR. There was a commercial on the tv for a local bank that had a short segment that showed somebody riding a surfboard out to catch some waves. It was shot from a GoPro on a neighboring surfboard. I liked the way watching that made me feel, enough so that when I came across it on a DVR'd show I would run it back and watch it a second time.

Anyway, I do traditional wetshaving (straight razors, double edge safety razors, etc.) so I was searching YouTube for instructional videos one time. I came across a shave video that had "ASMR Salon" in the title. I thought that was just the name of the salon, but once I started the video it was clear that something was definitely amiss. It was just weird. I then searched the Wiki for ASMR and learned about it.

After that I watched a few videos. I never tingled, but I found some of them quite relaxing, so I kept watching them now and then. Eventually, although I didn't tingle DURING the videos, I would notice I got that tingling sensation right AFTER I finished watching the videos, which is weird. I'm still not sure I understand that.

Now I sometimes tingle during videos and sometimes not. I listen to them when I'm stressed out and just want to relax. I've found some favorites. I like the people with really good sound quality. The best for that, in my opinion, are Deep Ocean of Sounds and ASMR Surge. I like some of the well known people, especially Gentle Whispering.

I know some of you probably have no idea what I'm talking about, and others probably do and think it's unimaginably weird. Maybe there are others out there who, like me, utilize these videos for specific purposes and enjoy them.

If you have never tried and don't know what I'm talking about, I'd recommend going to Deep Ocean of Sounds and checking out two of his videos. One has the 23 most common triggers, the other has "uncommon triggers." Give them a listen. Yeah, it's strange. Whatever. It will either work or it won't. Maybe you'll find them relaxing, and maybe they can help you when/if you are stressed out or just want to unwind after a hectic day.

Anybody else around here experience ASMR? If so, did/do you notice it in real life, or only when watching/listening to a video?
    I wasn't sure what you were talking about until you mentioned the 'cracked egg' thing, lol. I just thought it was weird at the time. But I could see where the feeling could be construed as pleasant. I'll check out DOofS and see what I think.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Cellophane

All I know is when I hear any sort of cellophane crinkle, the hairs all over my body stand up and I get goose bumps. Every. single. time. I can even just *think* of the sound of crinkling cellophane and I get goose bumps. I am strange.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    All I know is when I hear any sort of cellophane crinkle, the hairs all over my body stand up and I get goose bumps. Every. single. time. I can even just *think* of the sound of crinkling cellophane and I get goose bumps. I am strange.
    This is almost certainly ASMR. There are lots of crinkle sounds videos.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Emery boards (I think that is what they are called).

I just can’t be around anyone filing their nails. <shudder>

I read about ASMR recently because I have a hard time sleeping and many people use it for sleep and relaxation. I watched a few videos and whispering is definitely a trigger for me. There is a woman on youtube who just whispers for like 20 minutes. My wife couldn't listen for a single minute. It was stressing her out. It was the exact opposite for me. I couldn't stop laughing. A very strange sensation, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    How are you with fingernails on the chalk board? Squeaking of styrofoam?

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    How are you with fingernails on the chalk board? Squeaking of styrofoam?
    Styrofoam is very similar, though have to hear it get that tingling feeling. Fingernails on a chalkboard is just awful, but I don't get the same goose bumps/prickly hairs

Whispering gets me everytime and near instantly. I can also just vibrate my ears slightly and that will do it. Many of the ones I see listed as common are like top 10 worst sounds to hear for me though. I hate the brushing noises, chewing, finger tapping, and well basically all of them.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Whispering gets me everytime and near instantly. I can also just vibrate my ears slightly and that will do it. Many of the ones I see listed as common are like top 10 worst sounds to hear for me though. I hate the brushing noises, chewing, finger tapping, and well basically all of them.
    There's a word for disliking those sounds, too. It's "misophonia." Interesting that you have ASMR and misophonia at the same time. I love the brushing noises and I like the tapping. There are some sounds that others enjoy that I don't care for, but I like most of them.

If ASMR is a thing, and it apparently is, then Bob Ross must be considered its king!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

... I would notice I got that tingling sensation right AFTER I finished watching the videos ...
    Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwBnW2pJBOI

There's a word for disliking those sounds, too. It's "misophonia." Interesting that you have ASMR and misophonia at the same time. I love the brushing noises and I like the tapping. There are some sounds that others enjoy that I don't care for, but I like most of them.
    I wonder if any is genetic? Our family on my mom's side all hates tapping and the sound of fingernails clicking in general.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    If ASMR is a thing, and it apparently is, then Bob Ross must be considered its king!
    Yes. By many he is considered king, or at least an important pioneer. A lot of people apparently discovered they experienced ASMR by watching his videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    No. The pleasure I get from watching that video goes well beyond the minor pleasure of ASMR tingling, and it lasts a lot longer, too. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I wonder if any is genetic? Our family on my mom's side all hates tapping and the sound of fingernails clicking in general.
    It may be, and ASMR may be, as well, but I don't think anybody really knows one way or the other just yet.

It may be, and ASMR may be, as well, but I don't think anybody really knows one way or the other just yet.
    Looks like there might be a genetic link. I've been browsing around on the www.snpedia.com site for a few weeks just to learn some new stuff. I just did a search on "misophonia" and this page popped up
    https://www.snpedia.com/index.php/Rs2937573
    which indicates that a "G,G" allele combination on SNP rs2937573 carries a 20% increased sensitivity to the sound of chewing. But I have no idea how sound that finding is.

But I did discover in my digging around there that the total repulsion I felt about Brussel sprouts when I was young actually is genetically based. So I know for a fact that some of their information is good

My son just asked for one of these for his birthday, it is basically an ASRM head massage tool

https://www.google.com/search?q=asmr...25823152899343

It definitely does what you describe in your original post, and I have stumbled upon the ASRMers on YouTube and find the subculture quite interesting. There is also the tangential offshoot of "satisfying" videos - check those out on YouTube...I'm not even really sure how to describe them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32mUJJnoS-U

Dude. Those are weird videos. Mrs. Mtn Devil and I watched parts of a dozen or so. Part of my being freaked out is just my unfamiliarity with Youtube videos I guess. But that's weird stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Dude. Those are weird videos. Mrs. Mtn Devil and I watched parts of a dozen or so. Part of my being freaked out is just my unfamiliarity with Youtube videos I guess. But that's weird stuff.
    I warned you they were weird. The level of weirdness varies. Some are way stranger than others.