Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Picked up some fresh grouper and red snapper earlier today. Butter, salt, pepper and lemon. Grilled them almost not enough and it was fantastic.

Thanks to all the a-fish-anados (see what I did there?) who chipped in such great advice. If I can figure out how to post a picture from my phone I'll share.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Picked up some fresh grouper and red snapper earlier today. Butter, salt, pepper and lemon. Grilled them almost not enough and it was fantastic.

Thanks to all the a-fish-anados (see what I did there?) who chipped in such great advice. If I can figure out how to post a picture from my phone I'll share.
    Yum. Thanks for starting the thread too, it’s been illuminating.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Yum. Thanks for starting the thread too, it’s been illuminating.
    It's been an awesome thread....as a self proclaimed A-fish-ianado (great phrase)...Ive loved it. Getting ready to go sharpen my knives and prepare salmon and tuna for two different kinds of sashimi dishes...with sushi rice, ginger dressing salad, etc.

AN UPDATE:
    Here is my new discovery of a week ago...Zuke style sashimi. Simple...you marinate the raw fish (tuna or salmon work great, as does yellowtail and some others) for 15 minutes in a combo of soy sauce and Mirin with wasabi. The mirin adds a little hint of sweetness to the zip of the wasabi and the salty flavor of the soy. I love it! Can't believe I just discovered it.

As a bonus, the 15 minutes of marinating in that solution actually kind of "cooks" the fish....in other words, you can have Zuke sashimi even if the fish isn't officially "sashimi grade."

Potato cased salmon

It's salmon and cod season. This is copied from a post I put on my fishing club site recently.

First saw this on TV way back in the day before I had ever caught a salmon.
    It was on a PBS show at the time with Julia Child and Jacques Pepin. They both made the recipe on the show. Jacques made it with potato slices and Julia did it with shredded potatoes. I did the Jacques version last night more or less. His version looks more impressive, but the shredded potato version is easier to do and get the potatoes cooked correctly.

Anyway, you need some nice skinless pieces of salmon.

I salted and peppered the salmon on both sides.
    Then I used chopped chervil instead of dill since I have some nice chervil growing right now. Topped that with a layer of thinly sliced potatoes, which I salted and peppered also.

In a large frying pan, I melted 3 tablespoons of butter along with 3 tablespoons of canola oil.

Placed the fillets potato side down for 4 minutes on med high.

While cooking, placed chervil and then another layer of potatoes.

Then comes the trickiest part. Gently flip the fillet and try to get the uncooked potatoes to stay under the fish. Cook another 2-3 minutes and move to a platter and/or plates.

Really outstanding way to do our fresh salmon.

A few days later, I did the Julia version, i.e. shredded potatoes.
    I used a box grater to shred some russet potatoes. Make sure you squeeze the excess water out of them like when doing hash browns. You could use store bought hash browns also.

This version is easier to get the potatoes cooked through as I had trouble with some thicker slices of potatoes the last time.
    Took more in process photos this time. Very tasty.

I'd like to start a petition to rename this thread "ewww, fish".

We almost always marinate our fish in Zesty Italian dressing overnight in a Tupperware container in the fridge before cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    I did the Jacques version last night more or less. His version looks more impressive, but the shredded potato version is easier to do and get the potatoes cooked correctly
    Gordon Ramsay's version of potato encrusted cod is even more elegant looking, like fish scales...and *he* knocks it out fairly easily, lol. (This is from a Masterchef Australia challenge in which the contestants try to keep up while making the same dish as Ramsay)
    Link to recipe (fish, puree, minestrone, & jus)
    Link to episodes (if you can make your IP come from an Australian location)
    Link to this episode, S12E04, without having to change your IP

Smoked trout dip. Or smoked tilapia dip, if you want to save a few bucks. I’ve done both. Can’t really tell the difference.

I season the fish and then slow smoke it on the Big Green Egg at about 250 deg until it’s nice and crusty. I don’t care if it gets overcooked. In fact, I want to cook a lot of the moisture out of it. Cool it and then mash it up real good. (I use a potato masher.) Add equal parts sour cream and softened cream cheese. Add some copped green onion and fresh lemon. Mix well. Season to taste. It’s even better the next day!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post
    Gordon Ramsay's version of potato encrusted cod is even more elegant looking, like fish scales...and *he* knocks it out fairly easily, lol. (This is from a Masterchef Australia challenge in which the contestants try to keep up while making the same dish as Ramsay)
    Link to recipe (fish, puree, minestrone, & jus)
    Link to episodes (if you can make your IP come from an Australian location)
    Link to this episode, S12E04, without having to change your IP
    Well that is pretty elegant looking. If you have the tools he calls for, you can easily get the potatoes to look like that. If not, it's a lot of work to do that.

One big difference in his is that he only puts the potatoes on one side. Having the potatoes on both sides is where I had the most trouble with jacques version.

Ever tried Gar? The best recipe is to clean the gar, nail it on a 2 x 4 (white oak), marinate while rotating over an open fire or grill until well done. Remove the Gar from the 2 x 4. Discard the Gar, and eat the 2 x 4.

Yeah, we eat a ton of fish, and our motto by and large is that the better the quality, the less you have to do with it...salt, pepper and lemon really do the trick, I also like a decent bit of tartar sauce...

Have you ever tried vermilion snapper? They taste as good as reds and are less expensive. Sometimes sold as red snapper. Also known as "bee liners".

Blackened Mahi is perfect for the grill. Tacos with slaw, pickled onions, avocado, and tomato salsa.

IMG_1489.jpg
    ~rthomas

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Have you ever tried vermilion snapper? They taste as good as reds and are less expensive. Sometimes sold as red snapper. Also known as "bee liners".
    bought those vermillions a bunch of times on Topsail, just as good (as you say) as the other fine snappers.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Caught a bunch of those fishing out of the Clearwater area. Generally pretty small and used for bait to catch big amberjacks.