Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And I have no plans for that to change!
    My father in law was an icthyologist and cannot imagine eating anything raw from the ocean, so if your concerns are health-based, you are in good company.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My father in law was an icthyologist and cannot imagine eating anything raw from the ocean, so if your concerns are health-based, you are in good company.
    Well I believe 100% of everyone who eats carrots has died, or will die...while Japan, the number one country in the world for raw fish consumption, has the highest life expectancy as well. All of this to say that there is risk in anything, but millions and millions of people live healthy lives while consuming raw fish, and raw oysters.

In a related note, one of the biggest blue marlin ever landed off NC was caught this week in a tournament out of the Outer Banks. It was over 900 pounds! NC held the world record for blue marlin back in the 70s and 80s for a while...1100 pounds plus. It's long since been broken by fish elsewhere...but just goes to show that a 900+ pound blue is world class.

In Nicaragua, I often ate a Latin fish dish known as ceviche. It's not raw nor cooked per se...it's "cooked" by letting it marinade with citrus, and the acid in the citrus "cooks" it in a manner of speaking. The best I've ever eaten was made from blue marlin....a fish that is not consumed in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The best I've ever eaten was made from blue marlin...a fish that is not consumed in North America.
    That is a whole other can of worms of a discussion.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Every time I read this thread, I think that my recipes would be much more legible if I didn't grill them.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Every time I read this thread, I think that my recipes would be much more legible if I didn't grill them.
    Too much marinade?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Too much marinade?
    No, I write in pencil. I know the marinade will make the ink run.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    No, I write in pencil. I know the marinade will make the ink run.
    I’m guessing your recipes are sketched in charcoal. And, wonderful.

I’m guessing your recipes are sketched in charcoal.
    In all honesty, yes to that. I love everyone's input on this thread, and have loved reading them. The one addition I have is that when I do my fish, I use a perforated grill mat. That way the smoke seasoning gets to both sides. I use the cheap, disposable ones from walmart, and it takes me months to actually getting to the point of disposing them. They last forever.
    Great point upstream (see what I did there?) about using the salmon skin as a skillet. I buy skin on for that reason. Like others have said, well cooked fish isn't "well cooked". Cook it hot, cook it fast, and pull it just as it begins to flake (or just before and wrap it in foil). Longer than that, and it is dry and bland. All about the moisture staying until it comes off the plate when you eat it.

Too much marinade?
    Likely too much ABV .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    That is a whole other can of worms of a discussion.
    Well yes, and in the third world, they keep and eat everything that's caught for the most part...marlin, sailfish, rays, cuda - they extract the protein from it. Hunger and poverty lowers sustainable resources on the totem pole of priorities. After I had this particular ceviche, beachfront in San Juan del Sur, I was surprised to find out it was marlin. I think that's the only time I consumed it. And it made excellent ceviche on that day.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    Well yes, and in the third world, they keep and eat everything that's caught for the most part...marlin, sailfish, rays, cuda - they extract the protein from it. Hunger and poverty lowers sustainable resources on the totem pole of priorities. After I had this particular ceviche, beachfront in San Juan del Sur, I was surprised to find out it was marlin. I think that's the only time I consumed it. And it made excellent ceviche on that day.
    Well, I am planning on doing some protein procurement Saturday morning. Hopefully I'll have some grilling photos to share.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    Well, I am planning on doing some protein procurement Saturday morning. Hopefully I'll have some grilling photos to share.
    Yes, photos of blood on the deck, and on the grill...

Here's a good recipe for those that like charcoal grilling. Take fillets of king mackerel, striped bass, or any fish really, with white flesh, even flounder. Take a foil pan, put just a skim of olive oil in the bottom. Place fish in the pan, and cover them with peppercorn salad dressing. Cover the pan with tin foil, and poke several holes in it. Place on the grill, fish will flake after around eight minutes. Oh, the grill should be around 300 degrees. I did it a couple of times with king mackerel, and with striped bass and red drum. Turned out great every time.

Well, fishing didn't go as well as we would have liked yesterday, but we did get enough to do some grilling.
    We have some pretty colorful cods we can catch locally here.

Rest of post in following ones as it won't let me put more than one image per post.

On small ones like these, I like to just grill them whole.
    Ready to clean:

Cleaned up. I like to rub them inside and out with olive oil with minced garlic, salt, and pepper.

Then just slap them on the hot grill:

I flipped these after about 5 minutes. They were about 1.5 inches thick, so a total of 15 minutes cooking time, but flip a bit before halfway so they hold together better.

Very tasty straight up, but you can add a dipping sauce if you like.

Yummy.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust